Here's an interesting read:

The 10 Biggest Brand Disasters of 2010 - DailyFinance

Not like anyone who's been following RIM's decline didn't know something like this was coming...but I didn't expect it to be so bad. I mean, Toyota has a better brand name than RIM. Dang!!
    08-09-10 01:57 PM
    Based on what they are saying I'm not supprised, it seems to be based purely on Stock's and not on brand opinion, as I would expect Google would not be on that list at all if Opinion of a Brand was taken into account,

and I really don't think that many consumers realize how much market share RIM has lost. BB still has a strong brand as a phone/communication tool,

but it will be a long time till they see triple digit stock values I think.
    08-09-10 03:00 PM
    What a useless article.
    08-09-10 03:04 PM
    What a useless article.
    It'd be useful, somewhat, in deciding what companies you'd want to invest in.
    08-09-10 04:35 PM
    all these articles and surveys are all BULLSH*T!
    08-09-10 04:49 PM
    Didn't RIMs stock fall after the Torch?
    08-09-10 04:52 PM
    yes but moreso cos of the whole data thing, before people go `oh its cos of this or that` i`ll make one very true statement

Apples stock value is STILL lower than beginning of june. so the iPhone4 launch has (as of right now) done no good for stock value.
    08-09-10 05:05 PM
    That's it! I give up! Welcome me to the collective.............NOT.
    08-09-10 05:08 PM
    You didn't actually read the article did you?

Granted the thread title is misleading. It's worst brand names based on overall stock prices. They calculated the company value (company value = stock price * number of shares) as of Jan 1, 2010 and the company value as of June 30, 2010 and from there the corporations with the biggest drop were put on the list.

It's hardly bull because it provides some useful information and how investors are feeling about these companies..and I'm sure it's something RIM's board of directors have painfully noticed already. Besides, Google made the list too and unsurprisingly BP came in at number 1.

The article wasn't done by any opinions or surveys but by actual stock prices.
    08-09-10 05:10 PM
    If I'm not mistaken RIM's stock fell as a result of it's troubles internationally with countries such as Saudi Arabia and what-not. When RIM initially resisted the attempts by governments to spy on their citizen's communication, they were punished for it on the stock market. Apparently allowing this sort of invasion of privacy is important to investors.

On another note, one thing I thought was interesting about the article is that 3 other companies that are in the cell phone business, to some degree or another, are being punished in their stock price; Sony, Nokia and Google.

That's one of the reason why I stopped following the stock market. Investors are fickle and one shouldn't be too quick to discount a company solely on the whims on investors.
    08-09-10 05:13 PM
    If I'm not mistaken RIM's stock fell as a result of it's troubles internationally with countries such as Saudi Arabia and what-not. When RIM initially resisted the attempts by governments to spy on their citizen's communication, they were punished for it on the stock market. Apparently allowing this sort of invasion of privacy is important to investors.

On another note, one thing I thought was interesting about the article is that 3 other companies that are in the cell phone business, to some degree or another, are being punished in their stock price; Sony, Nokia and Google.

That's one of the reason why I stopped following the stock market. Investors are fickle and one shouldn't be too quick to discount a company solely on the whims on investors.
    Right, the stock fall was due to the flap with the UAE. In the end it's not a big deal, and doesn't affect any of us in most of the world anyhow so no one should even care.
    08-09-10 05:58 PM
    like i said this is BULLSH*T!
    apple and rim are totaly undervalued if we go by stock price thats why its bull.
    apple trades at 16-18 eps rim 8-12 eps motorola 49 eps nokia 27 you dont even want to know what palm was trading at last year. peopl are making money boff the stock prices when it goes down by shorting so now adays its hard to tell whats up or down
    08-09-10 07:51 PM
    "Models like the Curve have fallen flat".

I guess falling flat means the best selling smart phone of all time? OH?

Ignore...
    08-12-10 05:55 AM
    My next car is going to be a Toyota, my family wants Blackberries. It's a good thing I don't read polls to tell what's hot and what's not, what to buy and what not to buy.
    08-12-10 07:50 AM
    I'd be willing to bet that if you asked 90% of "average" customers they'd tell you the phone they own is a Blackberry phone (as in the company) not a RIM. So, it's a lose/lose situation.
    08-12-10 10:38 AM
    Interesting article. However, when I pull my BlackBerry out in a crowd, people notice. It remains the benchmark of smartphones.
    08-12-10 10:48 AM
    Did all you Android fans notice Google is on that list too!
    08-12-10 10:51 AM
    Did all you Android fans notice Google is on that list too!
    What's an Android? :|
    08-12-10 11:13 AM
    Why, because it doesn't say RIM is the best?
    08-12-10 11:49 AM
    Seeing as how the calculations behind the "brand value" are secret its hard to trust the list.

News flash! Some companies had a bad year, some more bad than others.
    08-12-10 02:21 PM
    Why, because it doesn't say RIM is the best?
    LOL, exactly.....
    08-13-10 06:52 AM
    Man this I'd not looking good for RIM

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-14-10 08:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD