Apple just passed RIM and Droid is hot on RIM's heals.

RIM will be #3 by New Years and will stay there for the foreseeable future. Apple will stay #1 for at least another year. Now that it will be on Verizon, other carriers will follow in 2012.

At some point RIM will be bought out, and will be gone in 8 years.

How do I know all of this? Elvis told me.
    11-01-10 11:33 AM
    Awesome, I maintain my underdog status by switching to Blackberry recently. Trendy, I am not.
    11-01-10 11:51 AM
    Everybody is entitled to an opinion, that is what supports a speculative stock market. If you are right, you get rich. If you are wrong, you go broke.

I suspect Research in Motion has a few tricks up it's sleeve, there are some very clever people charged with that job.

11-01-10 11:51 AM
    When ever a company starts loosing market share right away people start yelling Buy Out. The same thing happened to Motorola when their market share sank(sinking). Have they been bought out yet? No.
    11-01-10 11:56 AM
    I suspect Research in Motion has a few tricks up it's sleeve, there are some very clever people charged with that job.
    Yea, i see QNX being a game changer for RIM, Esp if SU access can be obtained.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-01-10 12:00 PM
    Considering the playbook supports flash and is built to run AIR apps there's gonna be tons of apps that will actually look nice too. Not to mention QNX more than likely ending up on there regular devices, RIMs gonna be alright.

11-01-10 12:19 PM
    Although rim has lost a bit of its market share I do not think they will end up like Motorola or the old Microsoft platform. The blackberry platform is changing rapidly and is still dominant in the business world.

11-01-10 12:45 PM
    RIM Responds to Apple’s ‘Distortion Field’ | Inside BlackBerry

For those of us who live outside of Apple’s distortion field, ...

RIM has achieved record shipments for five consecutive quarters and recently shared guidance of 13.8 – 14.4 million BlackBerry smartphones for the current quarter. Apple’s preference to compare its September-ending quarter with RIM’s August-ending quarter doesn’t tell the whole story ...
    Record shipments every quarter tells the story. The market for Smartphones is expanding as quickly as they can be manufactured.

This is not a "Winner take all" race, everybody wins by competing, some more then others.
    11-01-10 12:57 PM

this is not a "winner take all" race, everybody wins by competing, some more then others.
    exactly!!!
    11-01-10 01:44 PM
    Why do people compare phone makers and then lump Android in like it's one brand?

Apple’s ‘Distortion Field’
    The reality distortion field is strong. Check out this solution to the iPhone4 deathgrip:

Last edited by TheScionicMan; 11-01-10 at 02:14 PM.
    11-01-10 02:12 PM
    Why do people compare phone makers and then lump Android in like it's one brand?
    Just people who don't take into account what hardware/software is. I'm always
    shocked with the people that brag about how many Android devices are being
    shipped and sold. Android is on 60+ phones by different manufacturers if I'm not
    mistaken. To me, Apple's numbers are what impress me more considering they've
    only made four different hardware phones so far.

As far as RIM goes, Reed is absolutely right. What the hel! is the difference if
    they're 3rd or 4th? They're shipping and selling phones with record numbers
    (of their own) and are making a lot of money. A LOT OF MONEY. What's the
    hurry in trying to sprint ahead again. Now that QNX is on the PlayBook, it makes
    to seem that future phone devices will probably use the same. So why be in any hurry?
    11-01-10 02:26 PM
    The issue is customer dissatisfaction with RIM – younger more trend orientated consumers want more out of RIM than they can currently offer. Yes, they have products in the works which will attempt to regain lost market shares but I fear it has been too little too late. Let us not forget the path IBM took; looks remarkably similar to RIM's path. IBM is serious business for business and forgot to work on the mainline consumer products. RIM has held the lead for so long because of business sales, now more and more average consumers are purchasing smartphones because of all which can be done through the device.

Just my humble opinion - this and $1.73 will get you a large coffee here in Texas.
    11-01-10 02:29 PM

The reality distortion field is strong. Check out this solution to the iPhone4 deathgrip:

they aren't comparing phones as brands, HTC, Motorola, and such. They are comparing the Operating Systems (OS)

Android is Android is Android when the rubber meets the road. Just like Apple is Apple is Apple. And Blackberry is Blackberry Is Blackberry.

Android is just an Open Source Platform that anyone can download and code to fit their product with their hardware.

Apple and Blackberry just make their own hardware, where as Motorola, Samsung, HTC, or whomever to use Android for their OS.

11-01-10 02:30 PM
    The issue is customer dissatisfaction with RIM � younger more trend orientated consumers want more out of RIM than they can currently offer. Yes, they have products in the works which will attempt to regain lost market shares but I fear it has been too little too late. Let us not forget the path IBM took; looks remarkably similar to RIM's path. IBM is serious business for business and forgot to work on the mainline consumer products. RIM has held the lead for so long because of business sales, now more and more average consumers are purchasing smartphones because of all which can be done through the device.

Just my humble opinion - this and $1.73 will get you a large coffee here in Texas.
    And if RIM takes the path as IBM has and becomes a Profession Only Business Solution, then by all means let them. I am not knocking them in any way/shape/fashion or form, and they are GOOD, some even scream THE BEST, at what they do. And sometimes companies see a hole that needs to be filled and fill it. And others will patch the hole, but not repair it. ... follow me?

Last edited by mjneid; 11-01-10 at 03:50 PM.
    11-01-10 02:45 PM
    Apple just passed RIM and Droid is hot on RIM's heals.

RIM will be #3 by New Years and will stay there for the foreseeable future. Apple will stay #1 for at least another year. Now that it will be on Verizon, other carriers will follow in 2012.

At some point RIM will be bought out, and will be gone in 8 years.

How do I know all of this? Elvis told me.
    At least my Storm2 never drops a call. F Apple.
    11-01-10 03:48 PM
    Oooooooooo
    11-01-10 04:13 PM
    I think it has more to do with the network...

the deuce is on verzion
    the apple is on att...

just saying....

11-01-10 04:24 PM
    RIM Responds to Apple’s ‘Distortion Field’ | Inside BlackBerry

Record shipments every quarter tells the story. The market for Smartphones is expanding as quickly as they can be manufactured.

This is not a "Winner take all" race, everybody wins by completing, some more then others.

Obvious misspelling aside this is sort of a Special Olympics view of business.
    No matter how bad you do, you still get a medal
    11-01-10 04:25 PM
    I think it has more to do with the network...

the deuce is on verzion
    the apple is on att...

just saying....

nonsense. other phones don't drop calls like the iCan't. I used to have two phones that dropped (or more often, didn't RECEIVE) calls on Verizon--a Star Tac, and a Kyocera. Once i switched to an LG8300, my problems disappeared. Some phones just SUCK at maintaining, or receiving calls
    11-01-10 05:08 PM
    nonsense. other phones don't drop calls like the iCan't. I used to have two phones that dropped (or more often, didn't RECEIVE) calls on Verizon--a Star Tac, and a Kyocera. Once i switched to an LG8300, my problems disappeared. Some phones just SUCK at maintaining, or receiving calls
    ^^^^blah blah....Every phone drops calls. I enjoyed my s2 when I had one but honestly it doesn't compare to the I4.....lol at you dissing the iPhone while rocking a s2.....
    11-01-10 09:53 PM
    [/B]

Obvious misspelling aside this is sort of a Special Olympics view of business.
    No matter how bad you do, you still get a medal
    That might be the dumbest post I have ever seen. So you are saying an expanding market cannot sustain large profits for multiple companies?
    11-01-10 10:05 PM
    Still #1 in my pocket. Can't wait to try QNX on a Blackberry phone. Sure to be a game changer.
    11-01-10 10:13 PM
    Still #1 in my pocket. Can't wait to try QNX on a Blackberry phone. Sure to be a game changer.
    I couldn't agree more.
    11-01-10 10:15 PM
    Thank you for that insightful prediction. Now can you tell us when will aliens be invading Earth?
    Last edited by thymaster; 11-02-10 at 12:28 AM.
    11-02-10 12:17 AM
    And if RIM takes the path as IBM has and becomes a Profession Only Business Solution, then by all means let them. I am not knocking them in any way/shape/fashion or form, and they are GOOD, some even scream THE BEST, at what they do. And sometimes companies see a hole that needs to be filled and fill it. And others will patch the hole, but not repair it. ... follow me?

If this is indeed the path RIM chooses, far be it for me to tell them how to run their business. Personally, I am not into the glitz and glamor offered by other platforms available; I prefer the stability provided by RIM. My adult sons, on the other hand, are more interested in media capabilities found on other platforms; had RIM provided an offering more suited towards their tastes they would have remained with BlackBerry. Hence the statement "too little, too late".

Everyone will have their opinion as to how RIM should be conducting their business practices, I for one, do not agree with the carriers having the final say on when operating system updates are released. I think these updates and new releases should come from RIM as the individual carriers have no vested interest in maintaining RIM's customer satisfaction base. However, in the long run this is how they have chosen to operate.

At the end of the day, whether RIM decides to focus on business solutions or continue to reach out to the individual consumer will be determined by market forces which are controlled by previous decisions. Whichever route they focus on, they will continue to provide one of the most stable platforms available.

Just my humble opinion, this and $1.73 will get you a large coffee here in Texas.

11-02-10 01:56 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD