It is faster.
    Good.lol but would it actually be noticeably faster for in app performance.

Sent from my BB10 smartphone.
    07-23-13 05:05 PM
    Good.lol but would it actually be noticeably faster for in app performance.

If you mean resource intensive apps (games, multimedia, graphic rich), then there is even no comparison. That's where the specs really matter.
    07-23-13 05:12 PM
    If you mean resource intensive apps (games, multimedia, graphic rich), then there is even no comparison.
    Well yea but most of those types of apps are handled by the gpu.

07-23-13 05:14 PM
    Well yea but most of those types of apps are handled by the gpu.

Yep, and the Adreno 320 is approximately 2-3 times (depending on the benchmark) faster than the Adreno 225.
    07-23-13 05:28 PM
    Yep, and the Adreno 320 is approximately 2-3 times (depending on the benchmark) faster than the Adreno 225.
    Right. A10 might have a Adreno 320. Yet to be seen. But for me the Z10 is great for everything. Doesn't excel on games like the S4 but that's why I have a desktop gaming machine.

07-23-13 05:33 PM
    The UI is definitely better on BB10, but does it justify the price? In terms of hardware, Samsung beats BlackBerry, especially with the S4.
    the S4 is made of plastic and there's nothing premium or better about the hardware than the bb10 devices

Posted via CB10
    07-23-13 05:45 PM
    the S4 is made of plastic and there's nothing premium or better about the hardware than the bb10 devices
    Posted via CB10
    Oh, the plastic argument again.

Are we confusing the feel with materials being "premium" again.

I am not trying to defend either choice of materials. But trust me, aluminum, PCB, alloys in the phone housing are all cheap and cost just a tiny fraction of overall cost of the phone.
    07-23-13 06:12 PM
    Does anyone know why anyone, or at least so many, are bothering to answer this thread?? (Trying not to be rude here...) Maybe I'm missing something: This "threader" is from a place far, far away, works for BB (or the competition), or while labeling BB10 phones refers only to a newest BB10 phone release (that I'm not aware) or is intended to be a question rather than an exclamation. The Thread Subject is simply misleading and would appear to show\ a lack of knowledge of the marketplace (at least in N.A.). I can only go with the plain English of the Subject. [Note: Now to be clear, if this thread was started in March and, to be sure, a couple then did follow this line of thought, I might say the writer was both daring and possibly a financial genius. At the time, I also thought the phones were priced too high...but only after I found that the Z was unable to perform out-of-the-box and left me partially crippled in my business function(s).]

I am confounded as there have been more than a few threads beginning in May on the extremely low pricing of the Z phones (and what that likely means for BB and the future of the Z). Various vendors began to offer BB10 phones--at least the Z10--first for $99, then $49 in May, and NIL in mid June. These were quite the drops in pricing from the typical N.A. intro price of a down payment of $200-250 incl/tax. Now all these price reductions (all bundled w/2 yr carrier contracts) were seen mostly within the first quarter of (N.A.) intro, frankly, didn't bode well for the Z--and as borne out in the late June qrtrly financials. Further, that these reductions occurred before I (and man) could even get my Z to perform to standards of my legacy BB's was a slap in my face. (To be fair, the Official 10.1 did solve quite a few problems and was released just prior to my first spotting a "NIL" purchase w/contract pricing. LOL) ..... But we pretty much kicked the pricing horse from every angle in those earlier threads, leaving it at prices are so low because it was a last ditch effort to get market share by a phone that didn't fly very high with its intro or, if one can distinguish, an inventory dump--or some combination. [Code= Sales were weaker than expected]

THEN YES, there are carriers still offering the Z's at original intro $ but many (N.A.) outlets can be cajoled into deals for $50 less than typically cited competition and, indeed, a few that offer for a flat $50 or even NIL (as noted in other threads). I expect that the Q pricing will follow in lock-step a reduction shortly after Labor Day. And therefore NO, the pricing has dropped to where it is not ridiculously high and, indeed, most would agree that it is now somewhat ridiculously low (at least for the phone it is supposed to represent).

THEN AGAIN, as I've seen on a couple occasions in other threads, maybe the intent of this thread was sarcasm and to stimulate conversation....in which case, as measured by the number of posts made in only a few hours, one might regard this thread as a success !?!
    I value your opinion, however I'd like to clarify a few things.
    First of all, I do not work for BlackBerry or any rivals.
    Second, this thread was in no ways supposed to be sarcastic or anything. I'm talking about prices where, unlike in NA, people buy phones off-contract. In India for example, the Q5 is way overpriced for a "budget phone", don't you think?
    And finally, I'm not in a "place far, far away" as you put it

Sorry if you found the thread irrelevant or misleading :S
    07-23-13 06:12 PM
    They seem to like to hype their future offerings, sell as many as possible to the suckers at a premium and six months later put them on firesale and shortly thereafter abandon them entirely and hype the new shinny offering that the suckers will line up for because they don't seem to mind that the support doesn't last the length of their carrier contract.
    07-23-13 06:42 PM
    With specs like that I would expect it to be faster.

You complain more about the lag on the GS4 than anyone in the GS4 forum on AC. The first software update cleared that problem up for most users.
    bekkay, kevinnugent and Saiga like this.
    07-23-13 07:18 PM
    You complain more about the lag on the GS4 than anyone in the GS4 forum on AC. The first software update cleared that problem up for most users.
    Still waiting for the update on T-Mobile. Meanwhile, I am on Android 4.3, which is lightning fast.
    07-23-13 07:20 PM
    I personally don't think its too high. Considering a S4 somehow still lags with quadcores....
    False. There's been a fix for that small lagging. I bought one on the weekend, applied the fix and its now very very snappy.
    bp3dots and bekkay like this.
    07-24-13 02:59 AM
    I value your opinion, however I'd like to clarify a few things.
    First of all, I do not work for BlackBerry or any rivals.
    Second, this thread was in no ways supposed to be sarcastic or anything. I'm talking about prices where, unlike in NA, people buy phones off-contract. In India for example, the Q5 is way overpriced for a "budget phone", don't you think?
    And finally, I'm not in a "place far, far away" as you put it

Sorry if you found the thread irrelevant or misleading :S
    I would agree that the Z, given the then weakness of OS10 and lack of Apps, was way overpriced at intro even as approx. the same as competitors. But today, or for the last 2 1/2 months we've seen the Z available for $50 or even NIL. (Actually way back to April 17 the meaning of low pricing --NIL down--was first raised for the Z.) That this is the LEAST expensive price of "premo" smart phones is now not questioned. The debate has been what was the impetus and what do these low prices mean, if anything, about BlackBerry the company.

Now I suspected that you might be spouting about a place far, far away and India qualifies. However, certainly India is relevant, as are so many countries other than the obvious Canada,, USA, England, West Europe, China. Maybe, in the future, cite India as an example. (And I certainly profess no knowledge on India.)

Further, if u intended all comments relate to the new Q5, then I might agree that worldwide the Q5 appears to be overpriced. And I participated in couple such threads that criticized the Q5 pricing in another forum: This is a general forum and I inferred the Z and Q10's...Q5 not yet available in most big mkts. And, I think that many of the posters may have been equally confused.

I was being a bit sarcastic in my earlier response but "geez" there is already so much clutter to wade thru in these forums.
    Last edited by M65c02; 08-02-13 at 10:01 AM.
    08-01-13 07:36 PM
    Not sure why some people are still trying to justify the high prices that BlackBerry asked for their phones when they were launched.
    If you're trying to be the 3rd ecosystem, you should price your product lower that the more established players to gain some traction at least.

Look how successful the Microsoft Surface tablets were! (that was sarcasm, in case anyone missed that). They were expensive and noone bought them. They were obviously drinking the sam koolaid that the BlackBerry guys were.

Price things to high and people can't justify buying your product over the products of the well established companies already in the market, Unless yours is far superior. Even then, you're not guaranteed a lot of market share. Surely that's commonsense.

National Rail Times App for BB10 (Native Q10 and Z10) - http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/20352963
    08-01-13 07:58 PM
    Yes, I suppose an argument for both might be made. Superficially, my statement might appear oxymoronic
    and contradictory to the requested action. However, the word I believe is tautologous and it fits to a "T" as
    the intent was to provide a rationale in logic for why the need to remind is not really redundant when actionable
    in terms other than what are specific redundancies (oxymoronic)--and, frankly, this term is more complimentary.
    Notwithstanding, just a one-off reminder that this thread is inaccurate as presented and therein might be
    indigestible "cud" --- for most.

I'd say that "two centers" should be consolidated into one real center to keep things a bit
    more on target, and until the cogent issues of our frail Z brotherhood and otherwise anemic BB
    parent are resolved, or at least stabilized. Alternatively, I always have had an appreciation for well
    intended wit and, otherwise, glimpses of rhetorical brilliance whether formed from a second go at grass
    or by other inducement. After all, mental masturbation does have a place in life.
    Last edited by M65c02; 08-03-13 at 03:56 PM.
    08-03-13 03:43 PM
    Lmao he almost sounds like you do? Constant complainer lol

Posted via CB10
    08-03-13 05:40 PM
    Yes, in hindsight your logic is very sound but, as you remind, some people persist with an insistence that BB was shrewd by intro pricing at $600+ even with the miserable disappointment reflected by recent sales reports in hand. Had the intro of the Z had a more streamline and "out of the box" OS10 operating system it might have gotten away with a premium price strategy (but probably also would have still req'd more aggressive mktg). Instead, BB simply blew away many of its faithful "legacy users" that had patiently awaited OS10 and its Z/Q phones while also skimming that small segment prone to acquire multiple phones and/or have the first of everything. So, I agree: Why anyone would still seek to justify today the high introduction price of the Z knowing (today) about its true lack of readiness--from both standalone OS10, (lack of) ecosystem, and (deficit in) common Apps--is difficult to reason !!

I still believe that there is more than a hint of BB having forced use of an outdated marketing strategy left over from its glory days. [Note: To be fair, I will give a slight nod to the notion that BB, knowing that it wasn't ready with its OS10 but also knowing that Apple and Samsung would be out with new phones by June/July, had to pull the trigger early for some fast big bucks. BB may not have wanted to risk going into May/June depending on quantity sales and lower prices--but, here, I'm probably giving too much credit to BB mgmt.] Now BB has their new premium BB10's--Z10 and Q10--that have already passed their respective intro buying sales "burps" as Apple and Samsung have yet to hit full stride with intros of their respective IP5 and S4 designed for back to school and planting an early Holiday gift consideration. And will the Q5 curb the Apple or Samsung sales or reverse the negative/slumping general trend in BB sales with its intro price of ~$400. despite a lesser "spec'd" phone?!?
    Last edited by M65c02; 08-04-13 at 02:04 PM.
    08-04-13 12:08 PM
92 ... 234