If BB really wants to help out BB Devs on World, why don't they start removing Android Ports to give native apps a fighting chance to be noticed. At this point, what have they got to loose?
    David Tyler likes this.
    02-11-16 11:18 PM
    They've got money to lose. Some android ports cost money.

Posted via CB10
    02-11-16 11:25 PM
    Several Android ports in BlackBerry World have been written specifically for BlackBerry so they work better with the runtime than standard APK files do. I'm thinking of things like Ghost Commander and PrintHand for instance which mention BlackBerry in their menus.

Posted via CB10
    02-12-16 06:22 AM
    Whatsapp is a android port as ghost commander and cobalts GPS detects it... along with my file manager in the passport under the misc files.

Posted via CB10
    02-12-16 07:04 AM
    Whatsapp is a android port as ghost commander and cobalts GPS detects it... along with my file manager in the passport under the misc files.

Posted via CB10

WhatsApp BB10 is a mix, but mostly native, it's not Android.
    You've probably installed the Android version at some point

Posted via CB10
    02-12-16 07:07 AM
    I'm a Native dev, removing all the Android Apps would be stupid, BBW Would be even more of a ghost town than it already is

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB and tufcustomer like this.
    02-12-16 07:09 AM
    I'm a Native dev, removing all the Android Apps would be stupid, BBW Would be even more of a ghost town than it already is

Posted via CB10
    Well we'd still have the 50,000 street guide apps by N4BB, which is always a bonus.
    JeepBB and oldtimeBBaddict like this.
    02-12-16 07:58 AM
    Well we'd still have the 50,000 street guide apps by N4BB, which is always a bonus.
    S4BB, bruh.
    02-12-16 10:17 AM
    S4BB, bruh.
    Whatever.
    02-12-16 10:46 AM
    For me there is a difference in removing all the ports.... and removing all the junk. But then I've heard of one person that used one of those guides.....
    02-12-16 10:52 AM
    WhatsApp BB10 is a mix, but mostly native, it's not Android.
    You've probably installed the Android version at some point
    I think there's some vagueness in the term "port." Sometimes people use it simply to mean that an app has been brought to, or implemented on, a platform. My way of thinking about it is narrower: An Android port is an app that needs the Android runtime to work at all, even if it's modified to take advantage of some BB10 distinctives.

That said, I have no idea about WhatsApp. I thought it was all native, but what do I know? It's interesting that WhatsApp has turned out to be BB10's biggest "name" supporter, still releasing updates. I can't think of any other high-profile app that's still doing that.
    02-12-16 11:28 AM
    I'm curious to know how much curation is still being done on BBW. The "Great Apps" program seems to be something that one non-technical employee could do in their spare time - maintain a list.
    02-12-16 12:00 PM
    I'm curious to know how much curation is still being done on BBW. The "Great Apps" program seems to be something that one non-technical employee could do in their spare time - maintain a list.
    Sooner or later there'll be an audit, and BlackBerry World will be shutdown.

Never since 2013 have I seen BlackBerry world churn out new apps/popular apps etc on to the main screen.. apps which were released in 2013 and have few or no ratings are up today on the main page.

Mercedes in the auto world bombards newspapers, magazines with ads when it's phasing out a model... a time tested Mercedes approach.

This gave me the idea that BlackBerry world will be culled too. If not why the regurgitation of apps that were never used or have poor reviews?

Posted via CB10
    02-12-16 09:24 PM
    I think bbw just needs to better identify how an app is developed and allow filters to not search for example all ported apps. They could also highlight really well done ports like a "best of android" selection on top of highlighting apps designed for BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    02-13-16 06:34 AM
    Are there components of OS10 that need some aspect of the runtime? I am asking since so many are listed in Ghost Commander. Contacts, calendar, browser, text messages, etc. are listed.

Posted via CB10
    02-13-16 08:43 AM
    Are there components of OS10 that need some aspect of the runtime? I am asking since so many are listed in Ghost Commander. Contacts, calendar, browser, text messages, etc. are listed.

Posted via CB10
    Those you mentioned are Android Apps and linkages, it will be how Android Apps access things on the device.

Posted via CB10
    02-13-16 09:51 AM
    Those you mentioned are Android Apps and linkages, it will be how Android Apps access things on the device.

Posted via CB10
    But the icons in Ghost Commander match the OS10 icons.

Posted via CB10
    02-13-16 10:25 AM
    But the icons in Ghost Commander match the OS10 icons.

Posted via CB10
    I'm sure BB could have changed the icons :P

Since the Invocation system is linked they might be there deliberately.

The OS works fine without the Android runtime, apparently.
    02-13-16 10:51 AM
    What a terrible, awful, horrid, disastrous, horrible, disgusting idea this is

Posted via CB10
    02-13-16 11:00 AM
    I could be wrong, but it clearly seems to me that almost a month ago BlackBerry announced that all Android ports are gonna be cleared in BlackBerry World and moved to Google App Store.

Posted via CB10
    02-13-16 11:35 AM
    I could be wrong, but it clearly seems to me that almost a month ago BlackBerry announced that all Android ports are gonna be cleared in BlackBerry World and moved to Google App Store.

Posted via CB10
    To Amazon AppStore.

Posted via CB10
    02-13-16 12:23 PM

Posted via CB10
    I think you're wrong - are you getting mixed up with the "built for BlackBerry" thing?

Posted via CB10
    02-13-16 12:24 PM

Posted via CB10
    Nope, they don't even support Google Play Store On BB10, and not moving anything to Amazon either.

They announced the removing of the Built For BlackBerry special program.

Posted via CB10
    02-13-16 01:07 PM
    Nope, they don't even support Google Play Store On BB10, and not moving anything to Amazon either.

They announced the removing of the Built For BlackBerry special program.

Posted via CB10
    Actually, all apps made using the BlackBerry App Generator were supposed to be moved to Amazon AppStore.

Posted via CB10
    02-13-16 01:45 PM
    Actually, all apps made using the BlackBerry App Generator were supposed to be moved to Amazon AppStore.

Posted via CB10
    Didn't they remove them? They where not apk files so won't be placed in Amazon App store

Posted via CB10
    02-13-16 05:10 PM
27 12