Won't putting your water damaged phone in a bag of rice cause the rice grains to get in your phone?
    If it does, will it damage your phone?
    09-19-09 05:06 PM
    Not as much as water will. Take out the battery and let dry for a few days before trying to turn on. Turning it before its dry could its death blow

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-19-09 05:15 PM
    its not like your shoving it in the rice, rice shouldnt get into the phone but the water will hurt the phone more.
    09-19-09 06:17 PM
    You can also use those "do not eat" silica packs that come inside the box of any piece of electronics you buy...they will remove moisture.

09-19-09 06:24 PM
    Or alcohol as it evaporates quickly when air hits it taking the water with it. I'm not brave enuff to test this theory btw.

09-19-09 10:34 PM
    When my last phone was accidentally dropped in water, I put some dried grains of rice into a plastic container. I put the phone on top of this, and covered it up with the plastic cover. I let it sit there a couple of hours, opened it up, turned the phone on and it worked like before. This was after it was frozen and wouldn't turn off/on.
    09-19-09 10:50 PM
    Won't putting your water damaged phone in a bag of rice cause the rice grains to get in your phone?
    If it does, will it damage your phone?
    Yes it can and the rice dust is a mess when it combines with water. My sister did it. This is better advise.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/how-...ht-way-318876/
    09-20-09 02:56 AM
    I treated a water logged phone this past sumer using the rice method. It worked like a charm Before I dumped the wet phone into the rice I wrapped it in a BioBag. This is kind of a fuzzy meshy type bag used for fishtank filters. Its similar to the fuzzy meshy material you see on high quality air filters in homes. If you don't have immediate access to something like this I think wrapping 1/2 of a paper towel around the phone would be enough to keep the rice out while still allowing it to do its thing. If the phone is completely water logged you'll want to change the rice after a few hours and the paper towel even sooner.

09-20-09 03:46 AM
    I dropped my storm in the toilet and dried it out in a plastic bag but didnt have rice being on a buisness trip which also sucks not being at home...dried it out using a sealed ziploc as a solar still...bag heats up and water sticks to the inside of the bag. Phone turns on but the buttons dont work. The screen senses my finger but the screen click doesnt register. BUT the desktop manager recognized the BB and i got a good backup out of it. New phone should be here at my hotel tomorrow! So also another way to remove water. Learned this way in my survival school a way to get water out of plants while stranded with no readily available fresh water
    09-20-09 11:32 PM
    Follow the link in my signature. Rice is messy and the physics behind it just doesn't pull through. People who report success with rice are reporting luck, not the rice doing anything.
    09-20-09 11:38 PM
    I dropped my storm in the toilet and dried it out in a plastic bag but didnt have rice being on a buisness trip which also sucks not being at home...dried it out using a sealed ziploc as a solar still...bag heats up and water sticks to the inside of the bag. Phone turns on but the buttons dont work. The screen senses my finger but the screen click doesnt register. BUT the desktop manager recognized the BB and i got a good backup out of it. New phone should be here at my hotel tomorrow! So also another way to remove water. Learned this way in my survival school a way to get water out of plants while stranded with no readily available fresh water
    This really won't work as you have found by the fact the click doesn't work and now while still wet you have tried to click it, possibly shorting it out. Glad to hear the new one is on the way but there are a few problems with your method. First, you are not taking much water out of the device, only creating condensation from the water. By doing this you are also creating the same condensation inside the phone, possibly in more vital areas than the original dunk. Also, you are creating a wonderfully humid enviroment for whatever bacteria your device gathered from the toilet to grow...ewww. If you can't get 91% rubbing alcohol from where you are at, after a toilet dip, you are better off just removing the battery, rinsing it and letting it sit in the open to air dry so you can get that back up and get a new phone.
    Last edited by barbwyr; 09-21-09 at 03:27 AM.
    09-21-09 12:15 AM
    The fact that it is still broken means you shouldn't recommend this method. Seriously people? Just letting it dry out without the bag would have been better than the bag... All this did was ensure that the phone was trapped in a humid environment so that parts that may have been saved from the water are now exposed to a 100% humidity environment.
    09-21-09 03:20 AM
    So...was the toilet drop a 1 or 2? Lol

09-21-09 03:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD