Has anyone hard anything about software capable of allowing the Vcast Rhapsody subscription songs to be playuable on blackberrys? (particularly the curve) I'm not sure if RIM will be coding any new software to make them capable, or if another business will make a decoder for the DRM, but I haven't heard anything as of yet, anyone else know anything about it?
    07-27-08 02:14 PM
    It sure would be nice, I love Rhapsody.
    07-27-08 02:15 PM
    I have the Vcast with rhapsody subscription, and there are some verizon phones that are loaded with software that makes them compatable with the DRM on the rhapsody subscription songs. I would kill to find a way to use them on my curve as well!
    07-27-08 02:36 PM
    I'm not familiar with rhapsody. I am however assuming that to play the songs there is some propriatary software involved that rhapsody makes. If that is the case its up to rhapsody to make the software. I don't agree with DRM and boycott all products that use it because it strips consumers of their fair use rights granted by copyright law.

Another similar case is DRM from iTunes purchase songs. You bought the songs but can only play them in iTunes. At least that is my understanding. I read recently about some other similar song source getting rid of DRM and compensating customers for the songs they already bought that had DRM. Did iTunes finally change and stop using DRM? I thought I read something about that it might happen but haven't seen any recent iTunes news from the computer new feeds I read.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-27-08 09:09 PM
    Rhapsody is different, it's a subscription model. As long as you pay them every month on their "Rhapsody to Go" plan, you can download to your heart's content. But you can only play them back on authorized devices, like your computer and some portable music players (I have a Sansa and love it).

Which is great. I download gigabytes of music, listen to it whenever or wherever I want, then just delete it and download more stuff. They also have professionally programmed "channels" that you can either stream online or download to a portable device, which I like very very much too.

They have a larger catalog than iTunes now, and there's none of that 30 second clip nonsense - you use your subscription to listen to the full content, and if it's something you want to own outright, ya just buy it (for less than from iTunes). Once you buy it you can do what you want with it since it's just an mp3 with no DRM whatsoever.
    07-27-08 10:10 PM
    Interesting, now that I'm aware that it is a subscription service I understand. It sounds kind of like subscribing to satellite radio except that instead of commercial free music played on authorized devices (aka receiver(s) you have to buy) its unlimited access to music listening of whatever songs or artists you want kind of like a jukebox. I assume that DRM has something to do with the way they prevent the content from being recorded or used on unauthorized devices. Especially since you mention that you pay extra to purchase if you wish to own a copy. I'm glad to see that when you outright buy mp3s that they are DRM free. I guess you can put their use of DRM in the not so evil category. I use not so evil as expression not implying that a company that uses DRM to be evil just in case anyone gets that idea.

My 1st experience with DRM protected content was from a free download for a game I play. It added new music into the game but the mp3 files that are used for the game are DRM protected so they can't be transferred. Which means in this particular case in order to put them on a new installation (if I have to reformat my PC or get a new PC) I have to download them again. Which in this case isn't a huge deal because they allow you to do this with a restriction of how many times you can download over x amount of time.
    07-27-08 11:29 PM
    Actually there's several including Microsoft's Zune, with more on the way, but Rhapsody's the best, IMO. It's a collaboration between Real Networks and MTV. I think Apple will do it eventually as well, the pressure is on as their music and players sales are starting to flatten while others continue to grow.

Basically, with Rhapsody there are two subscription levels - one is streaming content like a giant jukebox for $10/mo. I already mentioned the channels thing, and they're starting to pick up some live radio feeds. The downside is that you have to have a broadband connection.

But if you get Rhapsody to Go for another $5/mo you can download content to a PC and also transfer it to an approved portable device, so you don't need to be on the Internet.

It really is way better than the iTunes model. You can stream a whole album to check it out, download it if you want to hear it some more, or buy it and make a CD or whatever else you want to do with it. More choices, more music.

The main reason iTunes is still much more popular is extensive and expensive marketing that other services can't afford to do. They weren't the first and aren't the best, but damn is their marketing fantastic. Last time I checked, iTunes itself was a break-even business that only exists to sell iPods, where the real profit is. The revenue generated from iTunes goes straight into marketing which is why their advertising is so pervasive. The competition can't even come close. Well Microsoft could if they wanted to and might, with their groovy new ad agency, we'll see.
    07-28-08 02:05 PM
    thanks for the help!!
    Enough with the spam!

Same reply in EVERY thread.

Knock it off.
    07-30-08 05:16 PM
    The question still remains.. can anyone confirm yes or no if Vcast with Rhapsody will be available now or in the future on the 83xx?
    12-18-08 04:38 PM
    but I'm not using it. Don't know if it's what your referring to or not, though. The download version is 2.67.
    Last edited by eddy4iu; 12-18-08 at 06:13 PM.
    12-18-08 06:04 PM
    V CAST requires DRM to be implemented on the device. These devices currenlty do not have DRM implemented. This is a hardware level implementation, so if the device does not have it now, it will never have it. Software update will not add DRM capability.
    12-19-08 10:51 AM
    gotta believe it can be accommodated by other BB models.
    12-19-08 12:15 PM
    I sure hope in the future the bb is able to get rhapsody.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-20-08 10:18 PM
    I Think may not be the case, my LG env2 did was not able to play rhapsody before a software upgrade but can now....unless maybe it was preset for the upgrade.
    12-22-08 02:21 PM
    The Env2 had the appropriate hardware in place for the old VCast Music software, the update simply changed the graphics.
    06-15-09 12:06 AM
    Anyone heard if there is software yet? would like to get it but, I can get slacker radio which is close but, not quite the same. I can't find anything anywhere saying yes or no. I have a sprint 8330 if Verizon would get an unlimited for 100 a month everything would switch.
    09-03-09 06:38 PM
    There is for the Verizon Storm. Rhapsody is a verizon cell exclusive due to contracts from what I've been told. AT&T I know uses Napster.... I doubt you'll see anything from Sprint like this because they are pushing the "Sprint Radio" and some XM stuff.
    09-03-09 09:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD