Making only PKB devices is ludicrous. It's what got BlackBerry into trouble in the first place.

 Posted using my Z30 via CB10 
    Finally someone who gets it.
    Having a keyboard device is fine, but you can't bet your entire farm on it. BlackBerry has stated time and time again that they are a software and services company that make devices.

They should just pick 2, maybe 3 lined. (Touch, Type, Hybrid) and keep refining them. Part of their problem is they keep releasing random devices and never refine them.

For example, an upgraded z30 over a year ago would have got upgrades from the z10 crowd as well as some curious users from the other platforms. Now it just looks like a failed attempt.

Similarly, the Passport was released in a similar fashion, albeit with more marketing. The basic concept is the same though. Throw something against the wall hoping it sticks.

And for the record, Keyboards are not going to stick.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-15 07:10 AM
    Finally someone who gets it.
    Having a keyboard device is fine, but you can't bet your entire farm on it. BlackBerry has stated time and time again that they are a software and services company that make devices.

They should just pick 2, maybe 3 lined. (Touch, Type, Hybrid) and keep refining them. Part of their problem is they keep releasing random devices and never refine them.

For example, an upgraded z30 over a year ago would have got upgrades from the z10 crowd as well as some curious users from the other platforms. Now it just looks like a failed attempt.

Similarly, the Passport was released in a similar fashion, albeit with more marketing. The basic concept is the same though. Throw something against the wall hoping it sticks.

And for the record, Keyboards are not going to stick.

Posted via CB10
    Totally agree they needed to release a z line Q line and a s line. They should have released a z10. Then next year a z30. And released an upgrade every year so it would be ever 2 years for a model. Same with the Q line a q10 and a passport and release new models every 2 years. And the slider line

Posted via CB10
    12-15-15 08:53 PM
    OP,
    As for #3 that will be two versions. BB10 and android.
    Chen won't dare release another Passport that won't have BB10.

TMO  Z10,STL100-3/10.3.2.2789
    12-15-15 08:59 PM
    Lol. All we know is that the Vienna is the next smartphone
    This.

Normally we have some idea of what's happening but for the moment, the Only device we know about is the BlackBerry "Vienna" slated for a March Release date.

A Berry A Day Keeps The Apple Away
    12-16-15 11:35 AM
    This.

Normally we have some idea of what's happening but for the moment, the Only device we know about is the BlackBerry "Vienna" slated for a March Release date.

A Berry A Day Keeps The Apple Away
    Another PKB device. Cause BlackBerry doesn't have enough of those! Lol

12-16-15 02:26 PM
    Anything without a real keyboard is good for a Tree ornament! I would prefer a Landscape Typing board over the portrait one...Physical hardwired QWERTY keyboards are the number 1 reason for getting a Blackberry, I was typing on an I phone virtual screen for 3 hours today and if I had to only use virtual keyboards I would get a dumbphone

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    12-16-15 05:27 PM
    Making only PKB devices is ludicrous. It's what got BlackBerry into trouble in the first place.

That statement is false. What got blackberry in trouble in the first place was that os7 was in many ways behind vs ios an android (but was still very functionnal). They chose not to address that issue early on and got f****d. Had they updated their os in 2011 pkb would still be the norm. Pkb are far superior to touch screens. And that's the main reason I still use a laptop over a tablet.
    12-26-15 04:24 PM
    That statement is false. What got blackberry in trouble in the first place was that os7 was in many ways behind vs ios an android (but was still very functionnal). They chose not to address that issue early on and got f****d. Had they updated their os in 2011 pkb would still be the norm. Pkb are far superior to touch screens. And that's the main reason I still use a laptop over a tablet.
    Wrong... but enjoy the shrinking 0.3%...

Posted via CB10
    Bbnivende likes this.
    12-26-15 05:01 PM
    Yeah bbos is most likely shrinking. But pkb on android is gaining ground, thanks to the Priv . In two years from now pkb will be back at 4-5% market share in most g8 countries. And BlackBerry revenue will be mostly software at that point.
    12-28-15 01:43 PM
    BTW I'm greatly enjoying the free money I'm making from bb.to and bbry.
    12-28-15 01:45 PM
    Yeah bbos is most likely shrinking. But pkb on android is gaining ground, thanks to the Priv . In two years from now pkb will be back at 4-5% market share in most g8 countries. And BlackBerry revenue will be mostly software at that point.
    If PKB's had a 5% market share and BlackBerry is the predominant PKB maker why would their revenue be mostly from software? I presume that if the Vienna takes off then perhaps BlackBerry might get up to a 2 to 3% market share in certain markets. Mostly, the same markets where they have been popular in past years.
    12-28-15 08:54 PM
    Definitive.. LOL
    12-28-15 09:36 PM
    "PKB on Android is gaining"

Yeah, since it was nonexistent before it can only go up. And I would suspect that most of them are current BlackBerry users that want more apps and access to Google services, not people leaving other Android platforms.

axe50 likes this.
    12-28-15 09:42 PM
    If PKB's had a 5% market share and BlackBerry is the predominant PKB maker why would their revenue be mostly from software? I presume that if the Vienna takes off then perhaps BlackBerry might get up to a 2 to 3% market share in certain markets. Mostly, the same markets where they have been popular in past years.

Focus is more on Software now than hardware. That's another reason for the drop in revenue from hardware side, but nobody really opens up and says the lower revenue is because there's nothing to sell!!

As for the market share, they don't have 5% market share. It's more like 0.3%.

They may be the predominate keyboard maker, but the market and consumers have moved on. How many horse and buggy companies do you know that have pushed into car sales? See my point now? It's scary how attached people are and refuse to move on.

The Vienna won't take off. Neither will the Priv, at least not to the levels you want. Vienna will have recycled parts and be underwhelming and overpriced. Why would we not expect anything different? This has been the norm for years now.

If BlackBerry truly wants exposure and market share they need to either :

1. Release a full touch on Android running top of the line parts. And the Priv can be updated btw so please do not use re cycled parts again. Keep 3 Models and upgrade them each year. Full Touch, Keyboard, and Slider.

2. Release the BlackBerry software suite for purchase in Google Play. Charge it competitively not excessively. What would that be? $4-5 per app, or $20 for all of them (Dtek, Keyboards, Calendar, Hub Messenger and Contacts).

3. Offer a buy-up program for existing Bb10 and BBOS users. $100 off for BBOS and $200 off for BB10 users. Basically get people o to the new platform, on one platform.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-15 02:37 PM
    Unless demand changes I don't see BlackBerry marketing an all touch phone without PKB for android. It's their only edge right and if I wanted an all touch with stock android I'll just buy a nexus.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-16 04:09 AM
    Unless demand changes I don't see BlackBerry marketing an all touch phone without PKB for android. It's their only edge right and if I wanted an all touch with stock android I'll just buy a nexus.

Posted via CB10
    Why ignore 99% of the market. Enterprise wants all touch too.
    luc4625 and CranksterBB10 like this.
    02-01-16 08:25 AM
    An article came out yesterday in venture beat that says that a high ranking person at blackberry confirmed two more android devices this year ( lower end )
    02-02-16 08:16 PM
    02-02-16 08:19 PM
    I think the Priv looks amazing, so anything that BlackBerry brings out like it is phenomenal in my books!!!

Posted via CB10
    02-02-16 08:30 PM
    Gave the Priv a long try, and its junk. The hardware feel to the phone is cheap, and the OS is a complete joke. I would be embarrassed to put a BlackBerry logo on such a device. The BB10 Passport eats the Priv for Breakfast, lunch and dinner.
    02-06-16 01:32 AM

Posted via CB10
    Hence the strong Keyboard sales the company has been experiencing. Oh wait? What sales? 99% of the market wants a Full Touch Device, not a PK phone. Yet John Chen continues to make major errors.
    02-06-16 01:35 AM
    You should get your facts straight. PKB is not superior, its all about preference and choice. Nor is a Full Touch superior. Neither is, its the eye of the beholder.

BlackBerry back in 2011 should have moved its entire line of Smart Phones on the PlayBook 2.0 OS. And in 2012 perform a mass BB10 upgrade.
    02-06-16 01:38 AM
    You should get your facts straight. PKB is not superior, its all about preference and choice. Nor is a Full Touch superior. Neither is, its the eye of the beholder.

BlackBerry back in 2011 should have moved its entire line of Smart Phones on the PlayBook 2.0 OS. And in 2012 perform a mass BB10 upgrade.
    They did not have 2.0 in 2011 and they has issues with BES. The other issue was they needed to keep people on BIS longer because of the revenue stream. Your point is well taken though. BB10 was too too big of a step . The first phones should have been a mobile 2.0 using Android based Apps.

Maybe if there had been some traction BBW might have developed as as a stop for ported APK's.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-16 02:01 AM
    Another PKB device. Cause BlackBerry doesn't have enough of those! Lol

They will release another pkb phone because the past versions sold very very well. Oh Wait?
    02-10-16 02:25 AM
    Why ignore 99% of the market. Enterprise wants all touch too.
    Because enterprise already works with android.

Posted via CB10
    02-10-16 10:36 AM
62 123