Every day or two for the last couple weeks, my 8520 has started running extremely sluggish and the File Free memory has gone from 50-60MB to eventually about 120MB. The only fix is a reboot, which is now taking forever as well (upwards of 10 minutes). I don't recall installing any new apps, or been able to pinpoint it to any app update.

Anyone ever had this happen? Any suggestions for fixes? I don't really want to wipe the device and reload the OS - takes forever to complete the process. .

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-13-11 05:54 AM
    I suspect you are seeing Java's automatic memory management at work.

As you use applications and data, much of it is cached in memory to improve performance. After a period of time, that data becomes stale and it automatiacly recovered by the OS. The recover is a background process that does impact on foreground processes, resulting in a period of sluggish response and the frequent appearance of the spinning hour glass indicator.

Forcing a restart also clears the tempory cached memory and restores normal performance.
    09-13-11 10:54 AM
    try memory booster:

Free Memory Booster - Download Memory Booster - Free Apps from BlackBerry App World

AFBB has a lot of free apps that are amazing. I rep them all day and tomorrow. This one has helped my memory issues ten fold.

Battery booster works too.

They have pro versions of both programs that are also free.... I am trying them out now. But the non pro versions work great!
    Last edited by RollingRock1988; 09-13-11 at 12:38 PM.
    09-13-11 12:07 PM
    I suspect you are seeing Java's automatic memory management at work.

As you use applications and data, much of it is cached in memory to improve performance. After a period of time, that data becomes stale and it automatiacly recovered by the OS. The recover is a background process that does impact on foreground processes, resulting in a period of sluggish response and the frequent appearance of the spinning hour glass indicator.

Forcing a restart also clears the tempory cached memory and restores normal performance.
    Doesn't that seem like an awfully large memory gain though? When I had my 9630, my memory would start out at about 70mb, and would slowly dwindle down to between 40-50. If I cleared my browser cache and did a memory clean, it would usually come back up to between 50-60, but I've never seen a gain quite like that!
    09-13-11 12:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD