With BB10 just down the road I think its time again for the BB faithful to rise. What do I mean? How many times have you gotten a message from your favorite retailer, resturant, ect about their marvellous mobile app only to find your beloved BB is NOT supported ? Now I'm not referring to Netflix, Skype, or Amazon, we've all heard their reasons excuses, I mean the FYEs, TGI Fridays, Best Buys ect. It's often been touted that on average BB owners have a fair chunk of discretionary income available and you would think that many of these companies with their "loyalty programs" would be chomping at the bit to pocket some of that green but I guess we are invisible. I even believe that since we have virtually NO presence when it comes to retailer mobile apps, why should the online majors give a damn. Only we can change that. How? Contact those retailers, let them know their wanting your loyalty will not trump your loyalty to your choice of smartphone. Money talks folks and with the big buying season at hand I think we can make a fair bit of noise and perhaps that noise will echo to the lemmings at N*flix, Skype, ect that blackberry is far from dead They want OUR loyalty well then show US some loyalty in return.
    11-04-12 01:29 PM
    Who cares about retail apps. For the most part, you can visit them online. I only want apps that actually "do" something.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    11-04-12 06:34 PM
    Who cares about retail apps. For the most part, you can visit them online. I only want apps that actually "do" something.
    It is a psychological thing. Around here, even some local newspapers, clubs, bars and stores have their own (crappy) apps. Available for iPhone and Android. Not for Windows Phone. Not for Blackberry either.

People see this. Even if they don't want to use those apps, they COULD use them. But not if they would own a Windows Phone or Blackberry. They read this "Available for iPhone and Android" line virtually everyhwere. It somehow rules other, competing systems out by itself.

Customers start asking why they should buy an expensive device, which doesn't support all the stuff out there? Why buy Blackberry if you can have Android? Why buy Windows Phone if you can have an iPhone? Unless those other devices feature stuff which renders the lack of app-support unimportant, people will keep this situations in their minds....
    JRoman2k10 and Joy1980 like this.
    11-04-12 09:13 PM
    I agree with you partially. I still believe for the most part that customers crave the top 50 or top 100 apps. If you read a list of them you'll see mostly apps that do something or games. The Walmart app(if they have one?) isn't on the list. Neither is your local pub.
    11-04-12 09:30 PM
    So I guess an app that gives you a discount on a purchase, or allows you to reserve a table at a resturant, keep track of your frequent flyer miles, doesn't really "do" anything. Many of these aren't on the top 100's because they are regional in nature but they are a convenience and I for one like being able to show a coupon barcode from my phone as opposed to keeping a pocket full of coupons or reward vouchers. Being able to download Angry Birds is nice, getting a free appetizer at the bar using my phone is better and is more in keeping with my idea of an app that "does something". and as Taigatrommel pointed out there is the psychological element and that element is what drives the bigger app makers. Would that NYT article about being ashamed of owning a BB been written if App world signs were next to the itunes and google app store signs? (as I recall the writer made no mention of the big 3 but more everyday apps not being accessable)
    11-04-12 11:31 PM