Well I am one of those people who likes to do a fresh install every time there is a new update available especially when it comes to leaks. The best part is that I never have to restore my contacts or emails as they sync as soon as I add the accounts. With BBOS we had the option to save chat history in BBM (do not remember if the same was the case with Whatsapp) as a file and after a reinstall it was simple to restore the contacts and chat history using that back up file. With BB10 we have the option to save the chat history in both BBM and Whatsapp. What baffles me is how to restore that chat history? If you cannot save chat history why are the options provided in the first place? Any ideas on how to go about it or am I missing something here....
    10-03-14 08:30 AM
    Hey there,

The save is purely for record keeping purposes on BB10. So if you saved steps on how to execute in a sub project, you can use a pc to lay it out into another application.

I think the option will come but until they extend out the apis for BBM there isn't even an app that can help.

What's app is on its own I can't comment much there.

Posted via CB from my LE
    10-03-14 08:57 AM
    Before you do a fresh install, be sure to move the backup folder located at device/misc/whatsapp to your SD card. After the fresh install, move the folder back to its original location, THEN install WhatsApp and set it up. It'll ask if you want to restore.

Posted via CB10
    JG_Agustin likes this.
    10-03-14 09:07 AM
    True. I did restore of WhatsApp first time and it was success. I did the same steps; coping backup from device to sd card before installation of fresh os and then bringing back just before installation of WhatsApp.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 09:13 AM
    True. I did restore of WhatsApp first time and it was success. I did the same steps; coping backup from device to sd card before installation of fresh os and then bringing back just before installation of WhatsApp.

Posted via CB10
    Whatsapp works with the individual app data restore on Link. Unfortunately BBM does not seem to let you do an individual restore, or at least I haven't found which of the check boxes to check (without including Settings). Even though there is a BBM specific check box, I wonder if there is a specific order that must be followed (like signing into BBM before or after you try to restore).

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 10:15 AM
    Fwiw
    The bbm "email chat" options works better now

I do believe it actually emails the whole chat now. (used to only do the last 50 lines)
    10-03-14 10:51 AM
    Before you do a fresh install, be sure to move the backup folder located at device/misc/whatsapp to your SD card. After the fresh install, move the folder back to its original location, THEN install WhatsApp and set it up. It'll ask if you want to restore.

Posted via CB10
    I can definitely do that and most probably will from now on. That takes care of Whatsapp...any ideas in how to do that with BBM...this would be one of the bbos features that I would like to see in bb10....

Posted via CB10 Z30 OS 10.3.01.396
    10-03-14 10:52 AM
    But again on to the topic the save chat option turns out to be useless...)

10-03-14 10:54 AM
    I can definitely do that and most probably will from now on. That takes care of Whatsapp...any ideas in how to do that with BBM...this would be one of the bbos features that I would like to see in bb10....

You can only do this with Link I think, but you have to get the order right (i.e. Restore BBM data first and then sign into BBM, or sign in first and then restore? ) I've yet to figure it out so... hopefully someone can shed some light.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 10:56 AM
    You can only do this with Link I think, but you have to get the order right (i.e. Restore BBM data first and then sign into BBM, or sign in first and then restore? ) I've yet to figure it out so... hopefully someone can shed some light.

Posted via CB10
    To elaborate.. bbm will only restore to an equal or higher version of bbm. So the very first thing you should do after a fresh install, it hit up app world and update bbm and any other apps.

I'm not sure how to do it with a custom backup - probable have to restore app data > bbm & system applications.

But with a full backup, restoring app data will bring back your bbm
    10-03-14 11:24 AM
    To elaborate.. bbm will only restore to an equal or higher version of bbm. So the very first thing you should do after a fresh install, it hit up app world and update bbm and any other apps.

I'm not sure how to do it with a custom backup - probable have to restore app data > bbm & system applications.

But with a full backup, restoring app data will bring back your bbm
    Yeah, I've had no issues with a full backup, but when I tried to restore just BBM... it didn't work.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 11:26 AM
    Yeah, I've had no issues with a full backup, but when I tried to restore just BBM... it didn't work.

Posted via CB10
    Edit: for the record, I completed the BBM login process and then tried to restore. Maybe if you restore BBM data and then login, it might work.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 11:30 AM
    With all the leaks restoring backups is actually causing issues...one thing I know for sure is that restoring from a lower OS to the new ones makes most of the things go haywire..one of the reasons I do not want to restore anything...blackberry ID should get most of the native data back into place...guys this is valuable and I hope that BlackBerry is going to listen to our voices..

10-03-14 11:37 AM
    With all the leaks restoring backups is actually causing issues...one thing I know for sure is that restoring from a lower OS to the new ones makes most of the things go haywire..one of the reasons I do not want to restore anything...blackberry ID should get most of the native data back into place...guys this is valuable and I hope that BlackBerry is going to listen to our voices..

Yes that would be ideal... we can only hope.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 11:52 AM