I would have liked a better balanced article. Even one that is a rah rah feel-good write-up is okay if it acknowledges that there are bona fide problems.

I think we do BBRY a disservice by pretending the situation is dire. I think it is insulting to the brand to act like everything is okay except for the "media." In that aspect, I think the article departs from the reality that is needed to help BBRY bounce back.

I also think the article is an excellent opportunity to discuss points like adults. Even Kevin has been able to point out the pros and cons of article. Why can't the rest of us do the same? I think when we, the enthusiasts, are honest with ourselves and BBRY, we can give it a chance. Of course, perspectives will always vary.

I don't know... tribalism sucks. Respectful discourse rules. Maybe we can return to level-headed debate, because that is what makes this site great to be a part of.
    I think the point of the article was to rally the lovers of the platform and point out some potential rays of light. Beyond that I don't give it much concern.

However there are a number of forum members who cannot see that and be cool with it and move on. They are compelled to squash it and to seek debate validation and in many instances device validation. Just as I am not blind to delusional optimism I am also not blind to desperate need for attention and validation. I think it's funny but also a little sad.

Either way it isn't my problem. I thank the OP for linking to an article that focused on potential positives and something for those that love the OS to smile about.

Posted via CB10
    Pdinos3, Toodeurep and southlander like this.
    09-08-13 05:49 PM
    Thanks for the article OP. I don't normally click on articles in crackberry but I was happy to have made an exception.

I did find it a little bit rose coloured glasses-ish - however there were still a lot of good points.

Most people have taken the first part of the 'blackberry up for sale' and run with it without ever acknowledging that they are also looking for strategic partners and that Thorstein said business is continuing as usual with focus on getting out the next devices and updating BB10.

Also Thorstein has long said this is a 3 part plan and they are now moving through part 2 - which may have always included looking for partners.

What is part 3? What is this thing that this writer, and a few others, have hinted at? I have no idea. But I use my Z10 everyday. I have no other fall back phone. And every day this OS impresses me and everyday more and more people see how much I use it and love it.

I'm excited for the future of BlackBerry. Of course I temper that with the knowledge that turning this ship is a huge undertaking and it could fail. It could even fail due to self fulfilling prophecy at this point or to any missteps made by the executives.

Or it could succeed. I'm rooting for success and I'm not nearly ready to write BlackBerry off yet.

Posted via CB10
    09-08-13 05:54 PM
    I think the point of the article was to rally the lovers of the platform and point out some potential rays of light. Beyond that I don't give it much concern.

However there are a number of forum members who cannot see that and be cool with it and move on. They are compelled to squash it and to seek debate validation and in many instances device validation. Just as I am not blind to delusional optimism I am also not blind to desperate need for attention and validation. I think it's funny but also a little sad.

Either way it isn't my problem. I thank the OP for linking to an article that focused on potential positives and something for those that love the OS to smile about.

Posted via CB10
    That's fair. I concede it can be a tad tough these days, but I figure it ain't over yet.

Consumers need BB10 to survive, IMHO.
    grover5 likes this.
    09-08-13 05:59 PM
    Without quoting walls of words,what exactly are the positives? I've read the article several times now, and I just don't get what's so great about it.

Yes the author is very pro-bb, that's a given.

Key points of the article from my pov:
    The z and q were old designs
    Bbry doesn't need to sell the company, they just need a partner.
    QNX is powerful and has been around a long time
    No one outside of bb fans knows what qnx is.
    Heins had no part in the development of any product before bb10
    Bbry just needs more time

Look, I totally get that we need a feel good piece right now. The problem I see with the article, it ignores everything Bbry has said or done lately. The media didn't invent the "including sale of the company" part of the strategic review.
    09-08-13 06:34 PM
    That's an interesting point. Why do consumers need BB to survive. What difference will it make to consumers if they don't.

OTOH Many corporations do need or want BB to survive. They are popular with lawyers and politicians too.
    09-10-13 09:51 PM
    That's an interesting point. Why do consumers need BB to survive. What difference will it make to consumers if they don't.

OTOH Many corporations do need or want BB to survive. They are popular with lawyers and politicians too.
    A better point may be that consumers are best served by various platforms.
    Pdinos3 likes this.
    09-10-13 10:08 PM
    A better point may be that consumers are best served by various platforms.
    Possibly true but there several other platforms to chose from.
    09-10-13 11:00 PM
    Possibly true but there several other platforms to chose from.
    I think the USP for blackberry was supposed to be its focus on security built in from the ground up, rather than as an afterthought, which is why you correctly point out about the professional types that it is popular with. Consumers i.e. not business people interest in it is questionable, which is probably the reasons you are seeing it drop off and BB in the state it is maybe.
    09-11-13 04:20 AM

There will be plenty of competition and the ones who will succeed are those who have something to offer. BB with its new flavor wasn't it.

It's a good day.. Survival of the fittest.. Letting the weak and sick die off strengthens the herd.. Now a new contender can enter the ring.
    09-12-13 08:14 PM
334 ... 121314