KITCHENER, Ont. - Some of Canada's biggest wireless carriers finally got a glimpse of the new BlackBerry smartphones this week, as part of Research In Motion's worldwide effort to drum up enthusiasm for the devices.

A group of RIM executives, including CEO Thorsten Heins, met with carriers in Canada, Mexico, and some in the United States, and brought early versions of the new BlackBerrys with them.

The meetings started a process that the company hopes will lead to firm commitments from the providers as it tries to hype up the new BlackBerrys over the coming months. The phones won't be available to the public until early next year.

"The response that we got back from the executive team at some of the Canadian carriers was tremendous," Andrew McLeod, managing director of RIM's Canadian operations, said in a media briefing near the company's headquarters in Waterloo, Ont. on Thursday.

"They were visibly positive and visibly enthusiastic."

The unveiling of the phones marks a significant step for RIM, which has struggled with numerous delays of its new BlackBerry 10 operating system, and the touchscreen and physical keyboard phones that will hit the market at the same time next year.

While the new BlackBerrys weren't the final version, the shape and size are expected to remain quite similar. The BlackBerry 10 platform is still undergoing development and tests.

RIM (TSX:RIM) is maintaining some secrecy around the devices, declining to say which carriers it met with, though McLeod noted that Canada will be of particular focus during the initial launch.

"Obviously it's very important to us that we demonstrate leadership and strength in our home market."

The country's biggest wireless companies include Rogers Communications (TSX:RCI.B) and Bell (TSX:BCE), who were both carriers of BlackBerry products in its early years, as well as Telus (TSX:T).

RIM plans to make further stops in Europe, Africa and Asia over the coming weeks.

McLeod said the next step is to quickly begin discussions with carriers over the product launch, a process that covers everything from the marketing of the phones to the technological support.

"We will probably start those types of dialogues very, very quickly," he added.

The BlackBerry 10 launch is considered a major challenge for the company as it faces intense competition from Apple's iPhone and smartphones using the Android operating system and possibly other rivals. Each is trying to grab a significant chunk of the market and curry favour with carriers.

On Thursday, the company made a stop in its hometown of Waterloo to meet with local developers, part of a worldwide tour that has continued throughout the summer, after earlier stops in Toronto and Montreal.

The event, which it calls the BlackBerry Jam, is designed to convince programmers that its new operating system has staying power and possibilities for innovation. In return, the company hopes to beef up the selection in its BlackBerry App World store to something that rivals Apple's app store.

RIM fell behind in app development years ago when the iPhone hit the market, and quickly built its consumer base partly on the hype of apps, or mini-programs that can cover everything from games to navigation tools.

"We're gearing up to handle not just a few apps coming in, but we're building a team to handle tens of thousands per month, ahead of that launch," said Alex Saunders, vice-president of RIM's developer relations.

Research In Motion gives Canadian carriers a look at its new BlackBerrys | CanadianBusiness.com
    08-23-12 06:29 PM
    Are there pictures?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-23-12 06:39 PM
    Tens of thousands of apps per month?!?!?!?!? Well that seems......hard to believe. Maybe they will all be books as what occurred on the Playbook LOL

Well here's hoping that comes to pass.
    08-23-12 09:10 PM
    Thanks for posting. But...

LOL @Alex Saunders.
    08-23-12 09:17 PM
    Would be nice if japan received some much needed love we love bbs.
    08-23-12 09:20 PM
    Thanks for posting. But...

LOL @Alex Saunders.
    What?
    08-23-12 09:51 PM
    KITCHENER, Ont. - Some of Canada's biggest wireless carriers finally got a glimpse of the new BlackBerry smartphones this week, as part of Research In Motion's worldwide effort to drum up enthusiasm for the devices.

A group of RIM executives, including CEO Thorsten Heins, met with carriers in Canada, Mexico, and some in the United States, and brought early versions of the new BlackBerrys with them.

The meetings started a process that the company hopes will lead to firm commitments from the providers as it tries to hype up the new BlackBerrys over the coming months. The phones won't be available to the public until early next year.

"The response that we got back from the executive team at some of the Canadian carriers was tremendous," Andrew McLeod, managing director of RIM's Canadian operations, said in a media briefing near the company's headquarters in Waterloo, Ont. on Thursday.

"They were visibly positive and visibly enthusiastic."

The unveiling of the phones marks a significant step for RIM, which has struggled with numerous delays of its new BlackBerry 10 operating system, and the touchscreen and physical keyboard phones that will hit the market at the same time next year.

While the new BlackBerrys weren't the final version, the shape and size are expected to remain quite similar. The BlackBerry 10 platform is still undergoing development and tests.

RIM (TSX:RIM) is maintaining some secrecy around the devices, declining to say which carriers it met with, though McLeod noted that Canada will be of particular focus during the initial launch.

"Obviously it's very important to us that we demonstrate leadership and strength in our home market."

The country's biggest wireless companies include Rogers Communications (TSX:RCI.B) and Bell (TSX:BCE), who were both carriers of BlackBerry products in its early years, as well as Telus (TSX:T).

RIM plans to make further stops in Europe, Africa and Asia over the coming weeks.

McLeod said the next step is to quickly begin discussions with carriers over the product launch, a process that covers everything from the marketing of the phones to the technological support.

"We will probably start those types of dialogues very, very quickly," he added.

The BlackBerry 10 launch is considered a major challenge for the company as it faces intense competition from Apple's iPhone and smartphones using the Android operating system and possibly other rivals. Each is trying to grab a significant chunk of the market and curry favour with carriers.

On Thursday, the company made a stop in its hometown of Waterloo to meet with local developers, part of a worldwide tour that has continued throughout the summer, after earlier stops in Toronto and Montreal.

The event, which it calls the BlackBerry Jam, is designed to convince programmers that its new operating system has staying power and possibilities for innovation. In return, the company hopes to beef up the selection in its BlackBerry App World store to something that rivals Apple's app store.

RIM fell behind in app development years ago when the iPhone hit the market, and quickly built its consumer base partly on the hype of apps, or mini-programs that can cover everything from games to navigation tools.

"We're gearing up to handle not just a few apps coming in, but we're building a team to handle tens of thousands per month, ahead of that launch," said Alex Saunders, vice-president of RIM's developer relations.

Research In Motion gives Canadian carriers a look at its new BlackBerrys | CanadianBusiness.com
    this quote in the artical is what hes LMAO about
    08-23-12 09:55 PM
    Positive news. Marching forward with the revolutionary unveiling of the BlackBerry 10 platform.
    08-23-12 10:28 PM
    Sounds like Canada will be first or tied for first release! Yay. I mean, that should be expected, but it's good to hear anyway.
    08-23-12 10:49 PM
    RIM has already said that they expect BB10 to launch in Canada & EU with the USA to follow.....I suspect that's becuase the US carriers are a bit hessitant & want to see how people like the phones when they come out....also becuase US carriers take longer to do carrier testing then others
    08-24-12 02:12 AM
    What?
    His name is Alec not Alex. Kind of a big guy at RIM to not know his name if you are writing an article about the company.
    08-24-12 08:26 AM
    Good stuff, but didn't RIM say almost the same thing when they went to show carriers BB7 devices?

I don't trust RIM or the carriers opinions on the devices, I'll wait until I can form my own. I can't wait to try one out.
    08-24-12 08:31 AM
    This is old news.
    08-24-12 08:48 AM
    Would be nice if japan received some much needed love we love bbs.
    Interesting, I was always under the impression that Japan's Smartphone Market was generally dominated by Japenese Electronics makers. (Sony, while troubled comes immediately to mind...) But if Japan is in Love with BlackBerry then Thor and Company should spare no expense and make a trip to the Land of the Rising Sun.

But if BlackBerries are Numerous in Japan, RIM won't let that Market get neglected. The World's 3rd Largest Economy won't get lost in the Shuffle.
    08-24-12 09:16 AM
    Good stuff, but didn't RIM say almost the same thing when they went to show carriers BB7 devices?

I don't trust RIM or the carriers opinions on the devices, I'll wait until I can form my own. I can't wait to try one out.
    Yea..Jim B was quoted as saying the carrier's "jaws dropped" when they got a look at the BB7 phones.

RIM telling me how the carrier's reacted is equivelant to anyone getting a disaster of a haircut and asking their friends how it looks.."It looks really *pause* good!"

Although the carriers not flat out refusing the phone like they did awhile ago (due to it looking to "industrial") is a better sign..
    08-24-12 10:41 AM
    Yea..Jim B was quoted as saying the carrier's "jaws dropped" when they got a look at the BB7 phones.

RIM telling me how the carrier's reacted is equivelant to anyone getting a disaster of a haircut and asking their friends how it looks.."It looks really *pause* good!"

Although the carriers not flat out refusing the phone like they did awhile ago (due to it looking to "industrial") is a better sign..
    Only difference though was I pretty much programmed myself not to believe any words that came out Jim B's mouth.

I'll give the new team the benefit of doubt before saying they are flat out lying
    08-24-12 10:46 AM
    Only difference though was I pretty much programmed myself not to believe any words that came out Jim B's mouth.

I'll give the new team the benefit of doubt before saying they are flat out lying
    Ummm... didn't RIM/Thor lie about BB10's release date of Q4 2012?

They obviously knew they wouldn't meet their target date long before they announced the delay - and still played along like 2012 was going to happen. Hard to believe anything they say after that lie.
    08-24-12 11:38 AM
    LOL there's hype which is perfectly fine, but then there's being utterly ridiculous...Ten's our thousands of apps per month?
    Hmmmm, this I gotta see.

08-24-12 12:32 PM

They obviously knew they wouldn't meet their target date long before they announced the delay - and still played along like 2012 was going to happen. Hard to believe anything they say after that lie.

don't even think you compare the two.

release dates moving happens all the time. So much in the electronic industry it doesn't really bother me anymore.

But the lies that came out of Jim's mouth were epic, from carrier's being blown away by OS 7 to the Playbook leapfrogging everything that came before it. Seemed he got so used to no one ever calling him out on his BS he couldn't stop himself anymore.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    08-24-12 03:12 PM

Yes, that is exactly the problem with the credibility of the senior management team. The next 6 months will be interesting times but let's not fool ourselves; we have their own track record which speaks volumes. I await 1Q2013 with no expectations.
    08-25-12 07:21 AM
    Anyone else see this?

"The rumor mill says that the next-gen RIM smartphones will be underpinned by quad-core Snapdragon S4 chipsets and that will feature HD displays, LTE support, and, of course, the new BlackBerry 10 OS."

Carriers Thrilled About BlackBerry 10 Smartphones, Says RIM Official
    08-27-12 09:52 AM

Does one month really mean that much to you?
    08-27-12 11:22 AM
    Tens of thousands of apps per month?!?!?!?!? Well that seems......hard to believe. Maybe they will all be books as what occurred on the Playbook LOL

Well here's hoping that comes to pass.
    I havent been here all summer, but o man... the book apps were great. lol
    when they were giving out the free pb or w/e for every 100 or whatever number apps those guys must have got all of them.
    08-27-12 11:43 PM
    The announcement of the Q4 release date was made in December 2011. Thorsten Heins became CEO a month later.
    08-28-12 12:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD