BlackBerry Service Update

you still didn't tell us what is wrong... Must be something serious that would make us lose a little faith, no?
    10-13-11 07:44 AM
  2. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Handled very well .. frank and honest ... RIM is trying to regain the trust of its over 70 million blackberry subscribers ...
    10-13-11 09:31 AM
    Thank God it was Mike and not Jim! hahaha

I would`t have believed it if it came from Jim Balsillie`s mouth.
    purijagmohan likes this.
    10-13-11 09:50 AM
    Maybe it was as they say or maybe it was because of something new they don't want to spill the beans on yet that didn't go as planned.
    10-13-11 10:03 AM
    Thank God it was Mike and not Jim! hahaha

I would`t have believed it if it came from Jim Balsillie`s mouth.
    Agreed. I feel Jim would have killed it.
    10-13-11 10:14 AM
    BlackBerry Service Update

you still didn't tell us what is wrong... Must be something serious that would make us lose a little faith, no?
    I would be slightly worried if they did rush to declare definitively that the outage was caused by something, this is probably the longest outage they have had in the last decade so they need to take the time they need to be totally sure they have nailed down the issue.
    10-13-11 10:23 AM
    Why do people feel they are owed the reason for the failure?

We've had an outage, identified the cause, fixed it and are taking steps to ensure it will not happen again.
    10-13-11 11:09 AM
    10-13-11 11:30 AM
    I thought the explanation offered was pretty good. Switch fail=backlog= chaos.
    10-13-11 11:44 AM
    Jim would have gone on and on with one endless sentence circling into itself.
    10-13-11 11:52 AM
    The cited article has a basic error of understanding...
    Q. Is that the only way to secure email on mobile devices?
    A. No. When RIM first launched the system in the 1990s, no competitors could often similar security features. Many alternatives have since been launched for the iPhone, Android and other devices that do not require customers to use centralized data centers. Instead they can host the services at their own, internal data centers.
    Own internal data centers... that's exactly why BES data didn't fail. The BIS service is provided for those who don't need, can't support, or can't afford the luxury of their own messaging data center.
    sam_b77 likes this.
    10-13-11 01:07 PM
    Good job by Lazaridis. An apology was the right thing. Stuff happens but RIM owned up to it. Water under the bridge to me.

Now, on to the apology to us Playbook users for all the broken promises there . . .
    10-13-11 03:35 PM
    Apologies, and reasons why, do not matter to me at all.
    Status updates and final results do.
    I received exactly what was needed. Status updates were provided and the results were rectification.

Same for the PlayBook for me...
    Apologies, and reasons why, do not matter to me at all.
    Status updates and final results do.
    I just need "real" status updates on what to expect, and in whatever time frame.
    I also need the end results to address any issues that are important to me.

Now that the data issue has been addressed, I have no need to go down a list of product & service apologies/explanations.
    10-13-11 08:21 PM
    Mike L. did a great apology. Did Balmer ever apologize for Microsoft Vista? Not too many CEO's make "mea culpa" videos on YouTube.

I think both Lazaridis and Balsillie want to put 2011 behind them -- Year of RIM's greatest follies, Season 3. Episodes of 2009 and 2010 are available on DVD at Amazon.

I cringe as to what else can happen to RIM this year. Earthquake in San Francisco at DevCon, perhaps?

Agreed. I feel Jim would have killed it.
    Last edited by the_sleuth; 10-13-11 at 09:43 PM.
    10-13-11 09:37 PM
    Must be something serious that would make us lose a little faith, no?
    Speaking of which, do you still have faith in your stock portfolio, euro2low?
    12-17-11 03:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD