For what its worth - the WSJ is reporting that RIM just got blasted by a Canadian analyst:

"In one of the more devastating breakdowns of BlackBerry-maker Research in Motion Ltd.'s (RIMM) recent troubles, Veritas Investment Research estimates that the company's stock has a 50% chance of dropping below $10 in 2012."

On the flip side, that a 50% chance that RIM's stock will NOT drop into single digits in 2012 - glass half full?

See: Research In Motion Eviscerated By Veritas Analyst - WSJ.com
    10-31-11 11:01 PM
    Snore...
    Another "Anal-Cysts's" opinion...
    Yawn...
    10-31-11 11:25 PM
    They are a bunch of accountants.

Did you actually read the article because I can't log-in, I don't have an account.

50% chance sounds like "I haven't a freakin clue but bashing RIM will draw attention to our firm" - free marketing

RIM's new phones are good, the Playbook is good, they need to market the products hard
    RIM needs to put advertising in people's faces, they need to show-up everywhere.
    mud314 likes this.
    10-31-11 11:59 PM
    They are a bunch of accountants.

Did you actually read the article because I can't log-in, I don't have an account.

50% chance sounds like "I haven't a freakin clue but bashing RIM will draw attention to our firm" - free marketing

RIM's new phones are good, the Playbook is good, they need to market the products hard
    RIM needs to put advertising in people's faces, they need to show-up everywhere.
    If it weren't for accountants, you wouldn't understand the financial viability of RIM. It doesn't seem like you've done the research that they've done suggesting with your general comments indicating a lack of financial acumen. And no, they're just a bunch of accountants, but also financial professionals who have looked at management's judgement and decisions.

On a second note, accountants have been a big part of the past customer base of BlackBerries. At one time, almost every accountant I knew had one.

FYI, Jim Balls is also a Fellow Chartered Accountant. RIM is also a Chartered Accountant Training Office. RIM should be able to take it as constructive criticism. Also, these are analysts and the market goes with what information is available. The lack of information and credibility, the core fundamentals, makes RIM a bad investment.
    Last edited by rcheung135; 11-01-11 at 12:58 AM.
    Marshall91 likes this.
    11-01-11 12:52 AM
    "In one of the more devastating breakdowns of BlackBerry-maker Research in Motion Ltd.'s (RIMM) recent troubles, Veritas Investment Research estimates that the company's stock has a 50% chance of dropping below $10 in 2012."

On the flip side, that a 50% chance that RIM's stock will NOT drop into single digits in 2012 - glass half full?

See: Research In Motion Eviscerated By Veritas Analyst - WSJ.com
    Sure, what is the chance I will see a T-Rex when I open my front door?

It is 50%!
    I might see it OR I might not
    sam_b77 likes this.
    11-01-11 01:10 AM
    the level of denial around here is astronomical, and i'm a pretty big conspiracy believer. sorry folks the writing is on the wall, i think it's extremely likely. why? simply becuase RIM doesn't have a product that is going to make the stock go UP for a long time, "BBX", if they're even allowed to use that by then, phones are NOT on the near horizon, maybe by this time next year, but if that analysis is true, and there's every reason to think it is, i don't really see how RIM can survive to even release a BBX device. you can't just sit around on your savings for years while your profit margin shrinks and your marketshare dwindles, delaying every product you have, promising playbook customers an update in 6 weeks, that turns into nearly a year. i'm sorry, you guys can hope all you want, i have yet to see anyone display a roadmap or a plan that wouldn't result in RIM tanking in the next few months. please feel free to scream about how they're doing so great overseas, i don't buy it, those people aren't going to keep RIM afloat, what keeps RIM afloat are new devices that people buy and sign contracts with, not 8330's on pay as you go plans. whenever an analyst post something positive about RIM everyone is quick to jump and use it as an example, but when 90% say negative things we're to believe "oh another one er dem so called analcysts tinks dey no bouts rim" give me a break.
    11-01-11 01:46 AM
    Snore...
    Another "Anal-Cysts's" opinion...
    Yawn...
    I wonder if RIM can sue these guys for spreading bs. Its as stupid as another news which was posted by somebody saying Exxon Mobil or Apple will reach a trillion $ turnover. Either may happen, but it will not be down to the merits of each but outright third party PR campaign.

If there is trillion dollar company, who gains? Its just the handful of investment firms and the few rich investors. Even at the current prices how many of you can afford an apple stock?

I have worked with a lot of accountants. Most are either too buried in numbers to understand how business runs commercially, while others will just toe the line of the boss. Analyst-Accountants can be even more dangerous. Most of them have an agenda to follow.

RIM's woes are purely down to these guys in media/ analysts and tech blogs probably being paid to make up stuff. Reasons? I can only speculate - but one could be the 70+ million BB user market, or may be trying to buy RIM cheap or as somebody else said, get some publicity.

I believe that all companies should survive and be allowed to compete. If only RIM were to exist in another 5 years, that is equally bad. If RIM has made a bad product or has been slow in innovation, they should be allowed to correct course. Let customers decide based on their own research. I hate it when a company's fortunes gets tied to an 'accountant's' prediction/ speculation.

I was actually happy to see HTC overtaking Apple as the largest smartphone seller in the US. This means that US buyers are no longer blindly following what is being said about how great Apple is, but most of them are making a studied choice (yes i know the story about i4s record sale this quarter/ affordability of an HTC).
    11-01-11 02:18 AM
    the level of denial around here is astronomical, and i'm a pretty big conspiracy believer. sorry folks the writing is on the wall, i think it's extremely likely. why? simply becuase RIM doesn't have a product that is going to make the stock go UP for a long time, "BBX", if they're even allowed to use that by then, phones are NOT on the near horizon, maybe by this time next year, but if that analysis is true, and there's every reason to think it is, i don't really see how RIM can survive to even release a BBX device. you can't just sit around on your savings for years while your profit margin shrinks and your marketshare dwindles, delaying every product you have, promising playbook customers an update in 6 weeks, that turns into nearly a year. i'm sorry, you guys can hope all you want, i have yet to see anyone display a roadmap or a plan that wouldn't result in RIM tanking in the next few months. please feel free to scream about how they're doing so great overseas, i don't buy it, those people aren't going to keep RIM afloat, what keeps RIM afloat are new devices that people buy and sign contracts with, not 8330's on pay as you go plans. whenever an analyst post something positive about RIM everyone is quick to jump and use it as an example, but when 90% say negative things we're to believe "oh another one er dem so called analcysts tinks dey no bouts rim" give me a break.
    Katipea: Would really appreciate if you could change your profile pic. Its so repulsive that I do not even like to read your post.
    maddie1128 likes this.
    11-01-11 02:22 AM
    Katipea: Would really appreciate if you could change your profile pic. Its so repulsive that I do not even like to read your post.
    Here we go, another katiepea analyst
    11-01-11 02:42 AM
    did i miss something??? i dont see whats wrong with the pic?
    11-01-11 02:47 AM
    If there is trillion dollar company, who gains? Its just the handful of investment firms and the few rich investors.
    ^^THIS^^
    Not sure who some members are referring to, but I personally cannot stand analysts. Period.
    Whether for or against RIM, Apple, Andriod, etc.
    No one can ever say they saw me applaud an analyst for ANY reports about ANY platform.
    There are good and bad points about every platform.
    However, I do see the obvious discontent some have with RIMs business model.
    And, that makes it a dying platform in their eyes.
    The "denial" that the company absolutely cannot succeed at all.

The end user gains nothing tangible from any of these reports by the so-called experts.
    These reports are for steering ideas and money into the hands of the super rich.
    People that the average consumer will never see except when they exit a limousine to enter a building.
    Analyst-Accountants can be even more dangerous. Most of them have an agenda to follow.
    Exactly! Very dangerous indeed! It's all speculation. For every platform.
    Steering ideas and money to themselves and those they serve.
    And, it seems that this analyst chose to be ambiguous with a 50/50 estimate which will assure he's on the right side when it all pans out ultimately. It can never be said he was wrong.

The average consumer doesn't care about analysts.
    They just want a device that works for them. Whatever platform they choose.
    That's all what I want for myself as well.
    dodger_moore likes this.
    11-01-11 03:14 AM
    Well then its up to rim to show a roadmap or products that would curb this attitude like all other tech companies do. Bottom line is that unless rim plays the game the way people who are winning it are, success is less likely. How long can you say "the Savior is coming in the next iteration" before everyone stops believing you. Rim makes a lot of promises and keep almost none. So if you don't give analysts a bone, what should they do? Ignore the situation?
    Maine and morfy50 like this.
    11-01-11 03:20 AM
  13. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    i don't put much credibility in Analyst reports or blogs....

If they were so bright or insightful they would be retired and on a ocean villa in Maui

They are usually off more than on ....and some are motivated by political or other agendas....

Take info from a variety of sources but make your own informed opinions ....
    Barljo, MADBRADNYC and bermont like this.
    11-01-11 03:41 AM
    ^^THIS^^
    Not sure who some members are referring to, but I personally cannot stand analysts. Period.
    Whether for or against RIM, Apple, Andriod, etc.
    No one can ever say they saw me applaud an analyst for ANY reports about ANY platform.
    There are good and bad points about every platform.
    However, I do see the obvious discontent some have with RIMs business model.
    And, that makes it a dying platform in their eyes.
    The "denial" that the company absolutely cannot succeed at all.

The end user gains nothing tangible from any of these reports by the so-called experts.
    These reports are for steering ideas and money into the hands of the super rich.
    People that the average consumer will never see except when they exit a limousine to enter a building.

Exactly! Very dangerous indeed! It's all speculation. For every platform.
    Steering ideas and money to themselves and those they serve.
    And, it seems that this analyst chose to be ambiguous with a 50/50 estimate which will assure he's on the right side when it all pans out ultimately. It can never be said he was wrong.

The average consumer doesn't care about analysts.
    They just want a device that works for them. Whatever platform they choose.
    That's all what I want for myself as well.
    You sound like an Occupy Wall Street activist.

i don't put much credibility in Analyst reports or blogs....

If they were so bright or insightful they would be retired and on a ocean villa in Maui

They are usually off more than on ....and some are motivated by political or other agendas....

Take info from a variety of sources but make your own informed opinions ....
    You hit the nail: variety of sources. Analysts create an opinion that should not be taken in completely, but should be considered in making decisions.
    Last edited by rcheung135; 11-01-11 at 03:52 AM.
    11-01-11 03:47 AM
    So here is the difference between Analyst, Shareholder and Entrepreneur explained Crackberry Style.
    Subject Katiepea:
    Wearing my Analyst Hat:
    I would say that she has a 50% chance of getting banned. She may get banned and then again she may not get banned. The reason for this is that her posts are becoming increasingly rabid and irrelevant to the topic at hand and people are not reacting well.

Wearing my Shareholder Cap:
    As a shareholder and user of the internet, I'm getting extremely angry that the nonsensical bytes Katiepea sends over the internet are adding up to the digital traffic and reducing value in terms of speed and quality while offering no substantial benefits in the form of considered opinions and intelligent conversations. Sell, Sell, Sell....which in this case would mean disconnect her internet connection.

Wearing my Entrepreneur's Hat:
    Lastly wearing the Hat of a sane and intelligent individual who believes in building something, I recognize Katiepea's right to free speech and right to express herself.
    I do not believe she should be banned or stopped from using the internet. As long as there are people who read what she writes, she is a welcome addition to the net.
    All I should be concerned about is what I contribute, and not stop others from doing their thing.

And thats why RIM should be allowed to sell to the people who want to buy BB's.
    Sorry Katie, couldn't resist...just having a bit off fun while explaining why Analysts are d*cks....
    11-01-11 04:46 AM
    So here is the difference between Analyst, Shareholder and Entrepreneur explained Crackberry Style.
    Subject Katiepea:
    Wearing my Analyst Hat:
    I would say that she has a 50% chance of getting banned. She may get banned and then again she may not get banned. The reason for this is that her posts are becoming increasingly rabid and irrelevant to the topic at hand and people are not reacting well.

Wearing my Shareholder Cap:
    As a shareholder and user of the internet, I'm getting extremely angry that the nonsensical bytes Katiepea sends over the internet are adding up to the digital traffic and reducing value in terms of speed and quality while offering no substantial benefits in the form of considered opinions and intelligent conversations. Sell, Sell, Sell....which in this case would mean disconnect her internet connection.

Wearing my Entrepreneur's Hat:
    Lastly wearing the Hat of a sane and intelligent individual who believes in building something, I recognize Katiepea's right to free speech and right to express herself.
    I do not believe she should be banned or stopped from using the internet. As long as there are people who read what she writes, she is a welcome addition to the net.
    All I should be concerned about is what I contribute, and not stop others from doing their thing.

And thats why RIM should be allowed to sell to the people who want to buy BB's.
    Sorry Katie, couldn't resist...just having a bit off fun while explaining why Analysts are d*cks....
    CSB. You didn't explain **** about analysts and I sense the **** is yourself. RIM should continue selling to people who want to buy BB, as they become increasingly fewer and impatient with the long wait for something amazing.
    11-01-11 05:13 AM
    Regardless the doom an gloom Katiepea is predicting, Rim's marketshare has gone up in UK while the iphone's gone down.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    maddie1128 likes this.
    11-01-11 07:51 AM
    Well then its up to rim to show a roadmap or products that would curb this attitude like all other tech companies do. Bottom line is that unless rim plays the game the way people who are winning it are, success is less likely. How long can you say "the Savior is coming in the next iteration" before everyone stops believing you. Rim makes a lot of promises and keep almost none. So if you don't give analysts a bone, what should they do? Ignore the situation?
    I'm not sure why people are saying katiepea's comments are doom and gloom, irrelevant, or useless. I feel like information and value is added by her comments.

Oh, and it's the analyst whose the main subject in this post, not her. Predicting a 50/50 chance of going into the single digits is actually a pretty big deal people.
    Chrisy, anon(4021844) and howarmat like this.
    11-01-11 07:58 AM
    Regardless the doom an gloom Katiepea is predicting, Rim's marketshare has gone up in UK while the iphone's gone down.

The population of the UK is 60 million. The population of the US is 300 million. If I were a company..I'd definately be more concerned about getting a larger piece of the 300 million.
    11-01-11 08:01 AM
    The population of the UK is 60 million. The population of the US is 300 million. If I were a company..I'd definately be more concerned about getting a larger piece of the 300 million.
    But when you add a few countries together where Rim has a bigger marketshare it's a diferent story, UK, Canada, India etc etc

11-01-11 08:09 AM
    Again ... NA is 40% of RIM's marquet.
    11-01-11 08:11 AM
    It doesn't matter how you spin it. RIM only has 9% of the US's 300 million potential buyers. This is a big deal.
    11-01-11 08:17 AM
    They don't have to show anything more than any other company. Does apple show a readmap, IBM, HP, Motorola? I could care less what bloggers/analysts or whoever write about the company, I'm waiting for my next LTE blackberry.
    11-01-11 08:23 AM
    ... i have yet to see anyone display a roadmap or a plan that wouldn't result in RIM tanking in the next few months ...
    One thing is for sure. In "the next few months" we will know if the roadmaps were correct. Stick around to see.
    11-01-11 08:28 AM
    It doesn't matter how you spin it. RIM only has 9% of the US's 300 million potential buyers. This is a big deal.
    Yes it is.
    So maybe the target is not NA, I think we've wrote about somewhere else, no ?
    11-01-11 08:49 AM
155 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD