08-20-09 04:09 PM
    The worldwide boom in smartphones is defying the worldwide economic recession; globally, smartphone shipments grew by 13.4% in the second quarter. But the rollout of handset brands is proceeding at very different rates in different regions of the world, according to a survey from Canalys.

In the United States, Research In Motion (NSDQ: RIMM) dominates with a 52% market share of smartphones. However, the situation is fluid, as evidenced by the roaring success of Apple's iPhone, which has quickly captured 23.3% of the market. Sales of the iPhone jumped 365% in the second quarter, compared with the same quarter in 2008, according to the market research firm. RIM's shipments of BlackBerrys jumped 29% in the same quarter. ...
    It helps to post a quote, in context. An executive summery.

The lions share of a fast growing marketplace.
    08-20-09 04:25 PM
    It helps to post a quote, in context. An executive summery.

The lions share of a fast growing marketplace.
    Thanks for the advice, i will implement in future.
    08-20-09 04:27 PM
    Good for them.

Benefits me in no way.
    08-20-09 04:29 PM
    I would only add this to the discussion, pretty impressive for both Apple and RIM:

In a recent report on the cellphone industry, Deutsche Bank analyst Brian Modoff found that even though Apple�s worldwide share of the cellphone market only comes in at 1%, it accounts for 20% of the industry�s profits.* This large discrepancy is attributable to the uniquely high subsidies Apple receives from AT&T for each iPhone, a figure estimated to be as high as $400 per phone. Also raking in the dough is RIM, which has less than a 2% share of the cellphone market but accounts for over 15% of the industry�s profits.* Taken together, Apple and RIM account for less than 3% of the worldwide cellphone market but account for an astounding 38% of its profits
    08-20-09 04:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD