I hate asking for help when I know most answers are turned up by a search but I have not been able to find this one.

I purchased a bluetooth-integrated car stereo and have been able to successfully pair it and use it as a handsfree with tremendous results. Best handsfree ever. The problem is that when I stream audio via bluetooth (Slacker radio) the Blackberry sends but the headset seems unable to select the bluetooth audio as a source. The vendor says that as long as the Blackberry supports A2DP (It does as of 4.3 per RIM) it should appear.

I initiated the pairing from the handheld successfully. I deleted the devices from one another and initiated the pairing from the stereo with the same results.

Bluetooth revision on the stereo lists as 3.20
    Blackberry OS/Software versions:
    v4.500.124 (Platform 2.7.0.92)
    Micro Edition Bluetooth version 1.1

Questions: Should A2DP appear on the Services list in the Blackberry's device properties for the paired stereo? Has anybody been able to get this to work? If so, please replicate your steps or point me to the docs you used to pair with A2DP available. I have read both manuals (Blackberry and Kenwood) and performed all suggested steps without any luck.

Update: Two models appear to have identical hardware (BT742U and BT838U) but there are two differences to the spec in their manuals

BT838U lists Bluetooth 1.2 Certified and A2DP/AVRCP profiles
    BT742U lisis Bluetooth 2.0 certified, but A3DP/AVRCP are not listed.I may exchange for this reason but home it can be corrected with a firmware upgrade.
    Last edited by neocaster; 04-10-09 at 10:29 AM.
    04-08-09 09:06 AM
    ....Questions: Should A2DP appear on the Services list in the Blackberry's device properties for the paired stereo? Has anybody been able to get this to work? If so, please replicate your steps or point me to the docs you used to pair with A2DP available. I have read both manuals (Blackberry and Kenwood) and performed all suggested steps without any luck.
    Have you checked the to see if the actual BT headset your trying to use is A2DP?
    Manage Connections > Bluetooth Options > Your BT Headset > Menu > Device Properties
    04-09-09 12:51 PM
    No. My stereo headphones do. (Plantronics 590) shows up as "Stereo Audio" in properties, and has "Audio Sink" listed in services. This does not but the vendor says it should. My only thought is that I'm missing a setting on the stereo. Either I'm missing some setting or need a fw update to the stereo before it will be able to play streamed audio content. (Or it just won't do it and Kenwood is misinformed.) I'll keep you posted. If the fix is simple, this becomes almost too good to be true.
    Last edited by neocaster; 04-09-09 at 03:24 PM.
    04-09-09 02:14 PM
    Recieved this reply from Kenwood regarding A2DP on BT742U:

Thank you for contacting Kenwood USA Corporation. As an authorized agent for Kenwood, we are responding to your recent email inquiry.

We apologize for the delay, an error was made in the email address at the time it was first written down.

I forwarded the issue to our next level of support to confirm the A2DP feature. Unfortunately the BT742U was not designed for this feature. This is why the unit does not provide the bluetooth audio source.

Please feel free to contact us again with any additional questions.

Kay H.
    Product Support Representative
    Kenwood USA Authorized Call Center
    PO Box 22745
    Long Beach, CA 90801-5745

WHY WOULD KENWOOD PRODUCE A UNIT THAT HAS LESS FEATURES THAN THE MODEL IT IS REPLACING???
    04-22-09 03:46 PM
    WHY WOULD KENWOOD PRODUCE A UNIT THAT HAS LESS FEATURES THAN THE MODEL IT IS REPLACING???
    Maybe so they can add it back to the next model. I know thats not what you want to hear, but if nothing else, they did respond back to you.
    04-22-09 05:18 PM
    Maybe so they can add it back to the next model. I know thats not what you want to hear, but if nothing else, they did respond back to you.
    uh... the BT742U is not replacing the BT838U you big dumbies... look at the number. In addition to that, you should have read the specs when you bought the BT742U, the BT838U lists A2DP WIRELESS STREAMING AUDIO, the BT742U does not.
    06-29-09 01:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD