Does anyone KNOW if or for how long the carriers retain PIN communications? I understand if you're hooked up to a BES it is up to that administrator (or the boss) to set the collection/retention policy. But does anyone know about the carriers?

I heard that Verizon has a 72 hour retention policy from a verizon rep, for law enforcement purposes, ie in case you go missing they can track your last conversations; but they are very protective of that info in order to keep their products thriving (and, they don't want to deal with 9 zillion divorce cases LOL)

One of my buddies, who's a total government consperacy theorist, thinks the carriers keep every PIN and TXT for 5 years.
    Last edited by addicted_in_jersey; 11-23-08 at 10:59 PM.
    11-23-08 10:51 PM
    I believe text messages are retained, BBM is not since
    they do not go out over the carriers network.

And for Christ sake can you make that font just a little bit bigger.
    11-23-08 10:53 PM
    [FONT="Garamond" Sorry, looked normal on my screen. [/SIZE][/FONT]
    11-23-08 11:01 PM
    I know for a fact that the text messages are kept, but I'm unsure of how long. It is definitely more than 72 hours.

11-23-08 11:09 PM
    Bless you I spend all day looking at stuff that small, which is
    why my vision has gone to pot.

And actually, I believe VZW holds SMS for much longer than 72
    hours. Years if the Kwame Kilpatrick case is any indication.
    They with VZW's help went 5 years back on his SMS's
    But BBM is PIN to PIN and not really dependent on the carriers network.
    11-23-08 11:13 PM
    It's not really that big a deal if they keep your SMSes as long as you're not doing something illegal they won't look into it. I archive my SMSes for my own use...if anyone wants to see them all they have to do is hack into my account.

I should think though that as SMS becomes more and more popular (think oldies dieing off and those of us who grew up texting in french class becoming the oldies) the time frame will become smaller...not that SMSes take up a ton of space to archive but when you have 3.1 billion people's worth of 150+ texts a day that adds up!

Quite frankly if the government wants to know what I'm up to that bad they're welcome to go look, infact I'd feel honoured. Same with people who freak out about GPS locating- if they want to know where I am THAT BAD, they're welcome to come knock on my door. I've got nothing to hide.
    11-23-08 11:45 PM
    Doubtful Lana. No matter how many of us "oldies" who actually
    paid attention in French class instead of screwing around with
    the shiny new inventions of the day die off, the Freedom of Information
    Act will exist and the more you youngsters change the direction
    of communication (for the worse IMHO) retention will become even
    MORE important, not less.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 11-23-08 at 11:53 PM.
    11-23-08 11:51 PM
    I know a man who's wife had texts pulled up in court from 4 years prior to the court hearing and the judge made him read every one outloud. She was trying to revolk his visitation with his kids....He had 9 with her, think she would want to get rid of that many kids for a week at a time.LOL
    As for Pin/BBM I don't know...Do you think Yahoo keeps every IM sent over their messanger network????? HUMMMMM Where is that hard drive cause I want one in my Computer.
    11-23-08 11:59 PM
    I'm positive that sms messages are kept for atleast 2 years by verizon. Same as yahoo messages. I can only assume that pin messages are kept too, since big brother loves keeping an eye on everything. Trust me I know first hand. I wont elaborate how I to keep my identity private but it is fact.
    11-24-08 07:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD