It wasn't so long ago when Q10 was still rocking a swappable battery design. Who else thinks this is genius and that it should not be dying out with the technology "evolution"? Nowadays people are pursuing bigger battery and at the same time being dissatisfied with them phones because those batteries are not swappable by the users for daily use.

We have come so far in terms of smartphone design and evolution but why are we doing it at the expense of something so essential and important - which is the battery life or the ability to swap batteries?
    05-15-17 10:54 AM
    While I always thought it was a good feature, I simply keep charging cables at work, home, and in my car. I prefer just plugging it in.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-17 11:03 AM
    I doubt many KEYone users see the ability to swap a battery as being "essential".

This is an old argument... many reason why it's not something being done very often.LMGTFY
    05-15-17 11:05 AM
    We have come so far in terms of smartphone design and evolution
    ......including the ability to "rapid charge" those batteries.
    app_Developer likes this.
    05-15-17 11:10 AM
    My four-year-old z10's original battery was only getting 2-3 hours of continuous use. That wasn't an issue for me, as it's almost always plugged in. But recently it started rebooting frequently for no apparent reason. I popped in a new battery, and the problem resolved itself completely.

I have known many friends who were forced to upgrade from a device that was otherwise fine due to the degradation of a non-removable battery. That's a benefit to phone makers and resellers, but not to consumers.

For people who refresh their mobile handsets every 24-36 months, it may not be an issue very often, but for those of us who keep phones for four or more years, it's a feature I will miss.

A possible work-around might be buying an extended warranty for the phone. If the battery performance dips below 50% during the first four years, I'd call that a defect.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    05-15-17 12:52 PM
    warranty would be useless. There are no replacements available so you'd get an equivalent phone which in todays terms is a $100 android device.
    05-15-17 12:58 PM
    warranty would be useless. There are no replacements available so you'd get an equivalent phone which in todays terms is a $100 android device.
    I'm talking about a warranty on a new phone that doesn't have a replaceable battery, to protect against the risk of battery degradation, not my z10. A new battery for the Z10 costs $4.99 incl. shipping from Amazon. LOL.

AllanQuatermain likes this.
    05-15-17 01:05 PM
    My four-year-old z10's original battery was only getting 2-3 hours of continuous use. That wasn't an issue for me, as it's almost always plugged in. But recently it started rebooting frequently for no apparent reason. I popped in a new battery, and the problem resolved itself completely.

I have known many friends who were forced to upgrade from a device that was otherwise fine due to the degradation of a non-removable battery. That's a benefit to phone makers and resellers, but not to consumers.

For people who refresh their mobile handsets every 24-36 months, it may not be an issue very often, but for those of us who keep phones for four or more years, it's a feature I will miss.

A possible work-around might be buying an extended warranty for the phone. If the battery performance dips below 50% during the first four years, I'd call that a defect.

If after three or four years you still want to keep your phone..... you can still replace the battery yourself. Passports battery can be had for less than $30, and online video shows it can be done in about 10 mins. Hardly a make or break option....
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-15-17 01:30 PM
    I'm talking about a warranty on a new phone that doesn't have a replaceable battery, to protect against the risk of battery degradation, not my z10. A new battery for the Z10 costs $4.99 incl. shipping from Amazon. LOL.

Swapping a battery is easy for any mobile phone shop and if one is even a bit electronically inclined can be done by a cheap toolkit, hairdryer and watching some youtube teardowns. Why you'd spend buying 3 year warranty ($179 on Squaretrade as of today) for that is beyond me.
    05-15-17 01:35 PM
    Swapping a battery is easy for any mobile phone shop and if one is even a bit electronically inclined can be done by a cheap toolkit, hairdryer and watching some youtube teardowns. Why you'd spend buying 3 year warranty ($179 on Squaretrade as of today) for that is beyond me.
    That's a fair point. I've never seen a price that high for an extended warranty on a phone. I definitely wouldn't pay more than $100 for four years coverage, but I would pay that.

05-15-17 01:43 PM
    It wasn't so long ago when Q10 was still rocking a swappable battery design. Who else thinks this is genius and that it should not be dying out with the technology "evolution"? Nowadays people are pursuing bigger battery and at the same time being dissatisfied with them phones because those batteries are not swappable by the users for daily use.

We have come so far in terms of smartphone design and evolution but why are we doing it at the expense of something so essential and important - which is the battery life or the ability to swap batteries?
    No need anymore. It's just adding failure points to a device - worn out pins and battery doors.

Batteries are more powerful, and Quick Charge can boost a battery from 20% to 50% in just over 10 minutes. Stop fussing with charging and lugging around multiple batteries.
    DrBoomBotz and Laura Knotek like this.
    05-15-17 01:53 PM
    No need anymore. It's just adding failure points to a device - worn out pins and battery doors.

Batteries are more powerful, and Quick Charge can boost a battery from 20% to 50% in just over 10 minutes. Stop fussing with charging and lugging around multiple batteries.
    If today's batteries have a life expectancy of 10 years and degrade less than 50% over five years of hard use, then I'll concede there is limited value to replaceable batteries in 2017.

"Wait," people will say. "Who keeps a phone for ten years?" As a daily driver, no one, but I still use my 10 year old phones as Bluetooth and WiFi devices around the house. I would be dissatisfied if a device I paid $500+ for was bricked after 6-7 years. Also, I don't b think I should have to do surgery on my devices to keep them running.

DrBoomBotz likes this.
    05-15-17 02:02 PM
    If today's batteries have a life expectancy of 10 years and degrade less than 50% over five years of hard use, then I'll concede there is limited value to replaceable batteries in 2017.

"Wait," people will say. "Who keeps a phone for ten years?" As a daily driver, no one, but I still use my 10 year old phones as Bluetooth and WiFi devices around the house. I would be dissatisfied if a device I paid $500+ for was bricked after 6-7 years. Also, I don't b think I should have to do surgery on my devices to keep them running.

I'm glad the industry isn't designing for your edge case. Lol.
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    05-15-17 02:10 PM

Then with your unique needs, might want to consider finding one of those rare phones that has a removable battery - LG has a few nice ones . As TCL does not appear to be one of those companies that seems to favor the replaceable battery design.

If you want to stick with a BlackBerry... doing minor surgery is going to be in your future.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-15-17 02:14 PM
    why are we doing it at the expense of something so essential and important - which is the battery life or the ability to swap batteries?
    the authentic battery is pricy, some user prefer are cheap... that is why no more swapable battery anymore... it was proven too many counterfeit in before 2014-15 time zone... https://www.howtogeek.com/172680/dan...r-smartphones/
    Risk to the user and surroundings are too great. (and you can not change user behavior, even with the known danger... ).
    05-15-17 02:41 PM

I doubt many people took advantage of this.

I've owned many phones with swappable batteries yet never really swapped batteries, often times when the Battery began going bad I'd be due for an upgrade.
    05-15-17 02:44 PM
    If today's batteries have a life expectancy of 10 years
    With real-time usage, 10 years is unlikely for a cell phone battery. Typically, anything over 500 cycles is a reasonable expectation and with the way we use our devices (charging nearly every day), getting a lithium ion battery to last 10 years is not realistic. How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University
    05-15-17 03:04 PM
    I'm just not a big fan of planned obsolescence. Having a 4-5 year old phone perform well to me is not unreasonable. I've owned 4 phones over the past 15 years, and every one of them still functions just fine.

Also, thanks for the tips on the phones. I'm hoping the KEYone will be efficient enough, with a large enough battery, to satisfy me. I do recognize the value of an integrated battery for design efficiency and quality. I just don't want phones to die after 3 years when I keep them a lot longer.
    05-15-17 03:06 PM
    the intended designed smartphone life is not 10 years... However, you can change the internal battery (approved service center with $). There are many ways can increase battery charge cycle. the discovery still going on (some spanish researcher just patented ceramic electrode I believe... ). how you doing the power management is another... using super capacitor in conjunction with battery can enhance the performance a lot, but that is not every-brand's cup of tea... handset with different price for a good reason, spec reader didn't understand (or appreciate) those fine details. IMHO.
    05-15-17 03:14 PM
    the intended designed smartphone life is not 10 years... However, you can change the internal battery (approved service center with $). There are many ways can increase battery charge cycle. the discovery still going on (some spanish researcher just patented ceramic electrode I believe... ). how you doing the power management is another... using super capacitor in conjunction with battery can enhance the performance a lot, but that is not every-brand's cup of tea... handset with different price for a good reason, spec reader didn't understand (or appreciate) those fine details. IMHO.
    Just to be clear, I don't expect the phone to have good battery life for 10 years. I just want it to still power on when plugged in by then.

The other issue is sustainability. Though less if an issue in the US, the toxicity of electronic solid waste is a significant health threat in many places.

https://www.cnet.com/news/your-smart...ones-unlocked/
    Last edited by bb10adopter111; 05-15-17 at 04:07 PM.
    05-15-17 03:27 PM
    When researching Lithium Ion batteries in the past, some sites would say that they degrade roughly 25% every year and they might be only good for a couple years. But maybe now because of the massive sealed batteries they have this is less noticeable. The battery in my Ipad Air from 3 years ago has no noticeable loss of power and I charge it every 2 days like clockwork. This degradation might be more noticeable on devices like this 9900 with a tiny battery BUT it is always great to be able to swap a battery in 5 seconds and have power for another 6-11 hours, depending on use.

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    05-15-17 05:42 PM
    Landfills all over the world might think differently... :-D

•   Long live the SPARK! * ... the evil N shall not priv-ail...!!!   •
    05-15-17 06:01 PM
    Yes. I've owned 3 phones which had removable batteries (including 3 BlackBerry phones)

Not once did I ever order spare batteries.
    05-15-17 06:39 PM
    if you intend to use for longer than designed life, you need to protected your handset... not only battery, (take it out, do not let it swelling and busted inside your device for example), but also other stuff, many are made using plastic, including LCD (not mention OLED), 10 years is a tall order. (at least, I can't imaging to do it at current price and format... call me old school stupid, may be someone else from TCL/xiaomi/huawei might be able to do it).
    05-15-17 06:45 PM
    Yes. I've owned 3 phones which had removable batteries (including 3 BlackBerry phones)

Not once did I ever order spare batteries.
    Mmmmhhhh, I flogged that Q10 hard, and the battery started to swell up after a year or two...

I was so glad I could easily replace it for a few dollars... :-)

(edit --- add: in a few seconds, haha!)

•   Long live the SPARK! * ... the evil N shall not priv-ail...!!!   •
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    05-15-17 11:54 PM
64 123