All this fuss about blackberry switching to android operated phones got me thinking.. Remember when BBOS was on its last leg and the debate within blackberry was on what to do next? At that time there were rumors that some within blackberry wanted to release secure android phones. Others argued that blackberry needed it's own in-house os. Eventually, as we know, BB10 was released. Ever wonder how things might have been different had they adopted android back then?

Posted via CB10
    02-08-16 01:24 PM
    Not really that different. We would have ended up with another HTC, struggling to make money of Android.

It would have been just another glass slab on the market.

Posted via CB10
    02-08-16 01:29 PM
    I do wonder.

Although BlackBerry would have had it tough either way. Android was a long way from being the more secure and mature OS it is today. BlackBerry would have had a hard time hardening it.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-08-16 01:30 PM
    HTC problem stems from the fact that they try to meet every carrier demand. They made variation of every smartphone they have. At the same time they focused on gimmicks such as 3d cameras, Beats etc... Instead of focusing on raising the quality of their devices and Sense. For almost 3 years every android and tech blogger were asking htc to make their cameras better. But they only improved their cameras lately.
    02-08-16 03:37 PM
    HTC problem stems from the fact that they try to meet every carrier demand. They made variation of every smartphone they have. At the same time they focused on gimmicks such as 3d cameras, Beats etc... Instead of focusing on raising the quality of their devices and Sense. For almost 3 years every android and tech blogger were asking htc to make their cameras better. But they only improved their cameras lately.
    HTC was in the unfortunate position of having to make money from device sales alone.

Similar to Apple and Google's models, BlackBerry (although they certainly used to make money from devices) uses devices to drive BIS revenue (then) and BES/Good revenue (then and now). BlackBerry would be happy with something even approaching breakeven, as it will drive other areas of its business.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-08-16 03:52 PM
    I feel BB timed its Android debut quite well. There's been a tiredness around Android with devices having the same slab look, lack of updates, questionable apps and a perceived lack of security. The Priv with its KB and security focus has caused a bit of a stir in the Android world. Also I think BB are aware Nokia will try a comeback and likely an Android comeback. They are probably trying to get in there before Nokia.
    02-08-16 06:33 PM