Some people talking about how Touchscreens are the only option, the best thing ever, because 99% of all phones that sell are virtual keyboards, but I recall when Apple was talking about incorporating this technology into their glass/Virtual keyboard to make it more "blackberry like" because die hard power users know that a physical keyboard cannot be beat for accuracy and speed as well as tactile feedback.

It looks like Blackberry was considering this technology also. I remember reading about a company that actually did it and I THINK it was Apple that bought the company, but I would have to search again.

A keyboard that rises up from flat touch screens - CNET

I think this is a brilliant idea but I am betting the costs to produce this was too much and it might have inflated the price of the device too much.

thoughts?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    03-26-16 11:28 PM
    I remember seeing this a while ago. I had hoped BlackBerry would buy it. Anyway let's hope BlackBerry can license it and us it on an android phone of theres

Posted via CB10
    03-27-16 12:31 AM
    Neat feature but can't beat a real physical keyboard!

Posted via CB10
    whattiger likes this.
    03-27-16 02:59 AM
    I would be willing to bet that if Blackberry incorporated this that it would put them on the map again.

This technology reminds me of the new ipad pro and the Apple Pencil thinking it is an artist's pencil and paper.

03-27-16 03:03 AM
    This IS what's missing from a virtual keyboard. This would revolutionize all VKB's. It seems insignificant but this is invaluable in assisting a person to accurately locate keys on a keyboard. Even full size keyboard have a couple keys with raised spots on the home row under the index fingers so a person can place their hands without looking. I have much more difficulty typing in a VKB of my z30 than I every had on my curves PKB. I could type accurately almost without looking and I'm quite sure that it was due to physical feedback confirming that I had pressed the right Key.

Posted via CB10
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    03-27-16 04:24 AM
    This IS what's missing from a virtual keyboard. This would revolutionize all VKB's. It seems insignificant but this is invaluable in assisting a person to accurately locate keys on a keyboard. Even full size keyboard have a couple keys with raised spots on the home row under the index fingers so a person can place their hands without looking. I have much more difficulty typing in a VKB of my z30 than I every had on my curves PKB. I could type accurately almost without looking and I'm quite sure that it was due to physical feedback confirming that I had pressed the right Key.

Posted via CB10
    If Blackberry did this in 2013 when the technology emerged, everyone would still be talking about it and there would have been a lot of iPhones replaced by Blackberries.
    03-27-16 11:47 AM

Posted via CB10
    Actually, I do not think it would be very useful.

The ridges on the physical keyboards can be used because the user can feel the ridges and then press the right button.

However, for the raised vkb, even if has the ridges, it would not let the user guide the finger along since the vkb would register a click as soon as there is a touch.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-16 12:06 PM

However, for the raised vkb, even if has the ridges, it would not let the user guide the finger along since the vkb would register a click as soon as there is a touch.

Posted via CB10
    It is my understanding that the raised VKB would register tactile feel and compress. (I am not sure about a "click" though. I think the article describes the raised keys filled with a fluid, but I guess now I have to read it all
    03-27-16 12:11 PM
    Why so complicated?
    All this is because peaple like a bigger screen.Why is a bigger screen so important?Smaller screen+PKB is what you need.

Posted via CB10  My Einglish is not good.
    skstrials and Soapm like this.
    03-27-16 12:42 PM
    Blackberry is going to have to come up with some feature similar to this to get people talking, some new innovation to get people interested because they are hemmoraging users worse than a wound.

Blackberry cannot just maintain the same path, its not working.

03-27-16 03:33 PM
    What we need is mind reading so no typing is necessary. Now that would put BB back on the map.
    FF22 likes this.
    03-27-16 04:24 PM
    What we need is mind reading so no typing is necessary. Now that would put BB back on the map.
    haha that step is probably NEXT with chip "implantation."

03-27-16 04:28 PM
    I just WANT to see more innovation, something radical and I think its getting "down to the wire" for Blackberry and the same old same old just won't cut it.

03-27-16 04:38 PM
    I saw the same with Disney Labs, but it was with Little electro shocks

Posted via CB10
    03-27-16 04:49 PM
    I saw the same with Disney Labs, but it was with Little electro shocks

Posted via CB10
    Shockingly new Technology

I wonder if Blackberry can afford another lawsuit

03-27-16 04:50 PM
    I believe there's an add on case for the iPhone where little bubbles raise up whenever the keyboard pops up on the screen and then goes back down once you are done typing.
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    03-27-16 09:35 PM
    I just WANT to see more innovation, something radical and I think its getting "down to the wire" for Blackberry and the same old same old just won't cut it.

Think BlackBerry's days of hardware innovation are pretty much over. R&D is focused on software, if there are any new hardware products they'll be designed and built by one of the contract builders.
    03-27-16 10:23 PM
    i saved a few Future Shop cell phone magazines called "CellShop," remember those? (Future Shop is like BestBuy to Americans) The one I have in my hand is dated June 2010 and on the cover is the new 9700 Blackberry.

The interesting thing I noticed about all the phones in the magazine have ONE thing different than the 9700, can you guess what it was??? The other phones from 2010 were the likes of LG Banter, Samsung Intensity, Motorola Milestone, Motorola Back Flip, LG Breeze, Samsung Omnia 2. Give up?? THE 9700 is the only one with a FULL QWERTY Keyboard that you didnt have to perform some gimmicky "slide" option to expose it. Personally I think sliders are kinda cool, but I think the open no nonsense keyboard was responsible for the success they had in the past, even before 2010.

I think if we want to figure out what happened to Blackberry it is also important to consider the lessons of the past.

It's not ALL about the keyboard perhaps, but I think that was a big reason for their past success.

Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 03-28-16 at 12:59 AM.
    03-28-16 12:47 AM
    Think BlackBerry's days of hardware innovation are pretty much over. R&D is focused on software, if there are any new hardware products they'll be designed and built by one of the contract builders.
    probably their budget for innovation is pretty tight also

03-28-16 12:49 AM
    I love the idea! Trouble is, Tactus has been rather quiet of late. The last news item for them was in May,2015, and the last announcement was in June the same year. They did close on $30M of Class B funding in January, 2015 so they might simply be holed up in their labs doing what ever nerdy geeky people do when they're developing a revolutionary keyboard. Can't find any reference to any investment or buy out by Apple or anyone else.

This was originally set to be launched in late 2013 which borders on true 'BlackBerry Late', perhaps making BB the perfect partner.

Oh come one, it had to be said!
    03-28-16 10:49 AM
    I love the idea! Can't find any reference to any investment or buy out by Apple or anyone else.
    Ya I am still trying to find the original article I saw on it over 2 years ago. I think I posted it to my FB but that will be a task.

This article I found backs up what I have been arguing, namely that a tactile keyboard is more fast and accurate than glass and they did test it on an ipad Mini, which performed faster than the Android tablet

http://recode.net/2014/01/08/first-l...oard-on-glass/

03-28-16 11:05 AM
    Exactly would feel like a gimmick, just like the glass keyboard for desktops and laptops and even that laser keyboard as well.

The power of the force and the  passport.
    whattiger likes this.
    03-28-16 11:07 AM
    If the Priv which has full screen and a PHYSICAL keyboard, AND the keyboard is more than a KB, it's a freaking touchpad, doesn't sell. Why in anybody mind this would this be great for BB?
    03-28-16 01:36 PM
    The technology almost has a too good-to-be-true feel to it. I guess that the reason why nobody is putting it into production yet is most likely reliability issues.
    03-28-16 05:16 PM
    This plus Force Touch...?

:-D

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    03-28-16 07:22 PM
36 12