Did a battery pull today and when it restarted, the BB said I had a corrupted card and use my pc to error check it. No Wallpaper, look in media folder, sure nuff, it's all gone. Pics, wallpaper, music.

Stick the card in the pc, it's all there. Back in the BB. No go.

Back to the pc, copy files from sd card, format card, stick in BB and reformat, back to pc and copy files back to sd card then back to the BB.

Turn on the BB and all is back to normal.

Have no idea what happened but, remember to back-up your card if there's something you want to save.
    07-19-08 06:03 PM
    Good point!!
    07-19-08 06:09 PM
    An excellent idea that doesn't get mentioned enough.
    07-19-08 07:17 PM
    I agree with both above. Backing up everything atleast once a week is good practice
    07-19-08 07:18 PM
    How 'bout telling us how to do a back-up.
    07-19-08 09:06 PM
    How 'bout telling us how to do a back-up.
    Copy the contents to your hard drive or another removable device
    07-19-08 09:08 PM
    Wonderful advice. Some of us put too much faith in our memory cards when having it backed up to another card or PC would stop many a headache! And this look ~~~> once you discover the card is toast.

AG, you're absolutely on point- it doesnt get mentioned enough around here, but you can find battery pull in every other post.
    07-19-08 09:15 PM
    This brings to mind a question I've been meaning to ask. Do ringtones have to be manually backed up if they are stored on a media card? What I mean is, when you do a regular backup using DM, it doesn't backup anything stored on your media card, correct? I need to know because I have purchased a couple ringtones that I don't want to lose (aren't backed up yet).
    07-19-08 09:40 PM
    You are correct. The backup process only saves what is in
    device memory (on the actual phone). That's why the advice
    to copy the contents of your memory card to something.

If the ringtone is in device memory then the backup will pick
    that up.
    07-19-08 09:45 PM
    You are correct. The backup process only saves what is in
    device memory (on the actual phone). That's why the advice
    to copy the contents of your memory card to something.

If the ringtone is in device memory then the backup will pick
    that up.
    How can I tell for certain whether it is in device memory, or stored on my media card?

Edit: I just figured it out. I went into the media app and opened up my ringtones and clicked on the ones I downloaded and selected "properties" from the menu and it told me it was on the media card. I should have thought of that earlier.
    Last edited by axel2078; 07-19-08 at 10:09 PM.
    07-19-08 09:58 PM
    You can see this is DM. (Roxio)
    07-19-08 10:04 PM
    When I take the card out of the phone and put it into the PC, it's not recognized at all. It's ok in the device though. What's up with that?
    07-22-08 06:59 PM
    Same exact thing happened to me last night and did same procedure to fix. Now I will keep a back up on my PC so I don't spend all that time again backing up. I highly recommend this!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-22-08 07:46 PM
    Did a battery pull today and when it restarted, the BB said I had a corrupted card and use my pc to error check it. No Wallpaper, look in media folder, sure nuff, it's all gone. Pics, wallpaper, music.

Stick the card in the pc, it's all there. Back in the BB. No go.

Back to the pc, copy files from sd card, format card, stick in BB and reformat, back to pc and copy files back to sd card then back to the BB.

Turn on the BB and all is back to normal.

Have no idea what happened but, remember to back-up your card if there's something you want to save.
    Same thing happened to me a little over a year ago with my Pearl. Luckily, I had already backed up my mem card. But, yeah. Good thing to mention to folks.
    07-22-08 07:53 PM
    It happened to me a couple months ago, for no apparent reason... I back up all my pics, and wallpapers now! Great post!
    07-22-08 07:54 PM
    I have a set of files on my hard drive that are essentially a duplicate of the sets of files that I have on the media card in my BB, and about once a week I make sure that anything that I added to the BB is also in the set on the hard drive of the computer.

Remember: Jesus Saves - Buddha Does Incremental Backups!
    07-22-08 08:37 PM
    When I upgraded my 8300 to 4.5 it decided the media card was corrupt. It could still read the folder structure but not the files. Putting the card in the PC and the files were still there. PC found no errors.

Rolling back to 4.2.2 and the media card worked again. this was repeatable. There is something weird about 4.5 not reading media cards from earlier OS's

Media Manager Claims not to be able to read the card, but under My devices it lists Device Memory, Blackberry (F and Media Card. If i look under BlackBerry (F the files are all there. They are not in device memory (they aren't meant to be!) and if I look under media card it tells me to insert one.

Something weird going on
    07-30-08 01:48 AM
    When I upgraded my 8300 to 4.5 it decided the media card was corrupt. It could still read the folder structure but not the files. Putting the card in the PC and the files were still there. PC found no errors.

Rolling back to 4.2.2 and the media card worked again. this was repeatable. There is something weird about 4.5 not reading media cards from earlier OS's

Media Manager Claims not to be able to read the card, but under My devices it lists Device Memory, Blackberry (F and Media Card. If i look under BlackBerry (F the files are all there. They are not in device memory (they aren't meant to be!) and if I look under media card it tells me to insert one.

Something weird going on
    I believe you have to reformat the media card
    07-30-08 07:31 AM
    wow, i'm doing this as we speak!
    07-30-08 07:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD