I'm hoping someone can answer this for me! Ok so my blackberry bold was stolen last year and though I had backed up my photos to my laptop they were encrypted. I understand from reading previous threads that I cannot unencrypt them without the same handset. Normally I wldnt bother but the photos are of my recently deceased father. I now have a new bb and thought I wld msg my old pin and the person who replied has told me they bought the handset from gumtree. I have requested that I meet the person just to be able to unencrypt the photos, but understandably they think I'm trying to set them up and can't understand that it's the photos of someone i'l never see again thats of importance, not the fact it's stolen. Is there a way that the photos can be unencrypted without me meeting the person, for example, cld I send the photos to them, have them change the file and send back to me? Or wld I need to have the phone connected to my laptop to decrypt them? I have a copy of each encrypted photo on both my laptop and my new bb. Any help wld be appreciated!!!
    05-18-12 05:48 PM
    There may be ways, I just don't know of them. I did notice though that there are some entries in the backup file that may be what you need.

So, if you have a backup from the stolen device, load it over the new one and see what happens.
    05-18-12 08:22 PM
    I'm so sorry to hear about your situation. I wish I could offer up some assistance... Try what diegonei suggested and see what happens. Good luck!
    05-18-12 09:33 PM
    I'm not saying don't try, but I doubt very much that any method will work. Even if you were to get the old BlackBerry back, if the thief, the seller, or the buyer of the stolen property has wiped the phone, I doubt that even putting the actual media card in would decrypt the photos -- unless you had chosen "Security Password" as the media card encryption mode, in which case you could decrypt that media card's photos in any Blackberry so long as you remembered the card's password.

Transferring the files in encrypted format from pc to BlackBerry media card and trying to decrypt them is an extreme long shot, unlikely to work. I'm 99% sure it won't work. I know this because I tried it. Back before transferring encrypted media card files back and forth between BlackBerry and pc using BlackBerry Desktop Software was as fast and convenient as it is today, I tried moving encrypted backups to my pc using the USB/mass storage mode (because it was faster), and then to a different micro sd card. Same mode and same password on the same BlackBerry should work, right? It didn't.

I know it's probably too late for you (sorry ), but this is for others who may come across this. If you want to back up your encrypted media card files to your pc, you must use the "Files" feature of BlackBerry Desktop Software 6 and transfer the files to the pc that way. If you use the USB (mass storage) mode, encrypted files will stay encrypted and essentially useless (may as well not transfer them at all), and unencrypted files will stay unencrypted.

EDIT: There may be software available that will do this. Search around for software that will decrypt BlackBerry rem files. (If it exists, I don't know about it.) If there is such software, I think that its working would still depend on which media card encryption mode you had used. Look into it. See if there's software available. If you don't remember which mode you chose, you could try it anyway. There's a one in three chance you chose "Security Password" as the media card encryption mode, and there might be software that will decrypt those files. Maybe you can decrypt the files at home on your computer. It's a long shot even if the software exists, but worth looking into.
    Last edited by Tõnis; 05-19-12 at 08:42 AM.
    monz3 likes this.
    05-19-12 08:28 AM
    Do you remember the encryption setting you used?
    Device, security password, security password & device?
    05-19-12 08:48 AM
    So sorry to hear but if you have enabled the lock media card option then I believe that you wouldn't be able to get it back..

Good luck!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 on 7.1.0.342 with Tapatalk and my fingers
    05-19-12 09:51 AM
    I found this thread that might help.... I have not tried it as I don't have encypt enabled...

http://forums.crackberry.com/tips-ho...ck-jpg-241381/
    monz3 likes this.
    05-19-12 11:25 AM
    Thank you everyone who has commented, diegonei i have tried your suggestion a few times to no avail, they still show as a blank picture with the filed name showing as 'JPG.REM'. emtunc yes i do still remember the password details. Tõnis yes the new 'owner' did say when he recieved the device the memory was wiped, i guess i was secretly hoping the pics would only need to be recognised by the sd card or handset to be viewable.. i have tried emailing the pics to 'him' and he is working on it now to attempt to decrypt them. I have mentioned everyones comments to 'him' and jafobabe thanks for the link, i have also forwarded this to 'him', hopefully it can be done some way! im actually surprised Blackberry havent invented some sort of software to rectify this problem as it seems so many people have it! but thank you all anyway!
    05-19-12 01:01 PM
    05-19-12 01:14 PM
    Thank you everyone who has commented, diegonei i have tried your suggestion a few times to no avail, they still show as a blank picture with the filed name showing as 'JPG.REM'. emtunc yes i do still remember the password details. Tõnis yes the new 'owner' did say when he recieved the device the memory was wiped, i guess i was secretly hoping the pics would only need to be recognised by the sd card or handset to be viewable.. i have tried emailing the pics to 'him' and he is working on it now to attempt to decrypt them. I have mentioned everyones comments to 'him' and jafobabe thanks for the link, i have also forwarded this to 'him', hopefully it can be done some way! im actually surprised Blackberry havent invented some sort of software to rectify this problem as it seems so many people have it! but thank you all anyway!
    So you are in contact with the person whom has your stolen BlackBerry smartphone? I am confused or you are a troll. And there is software available from a third-party that claims to be able to recover the content of encrypted BlackBerry backup files. If you are trying to recover individual files not a backup archive then there is software for that process as well.
    05-19-12 01:51 PM
    With the OP saying the photos were saved to his PC, in his original post, the link I provided would be able to correct the photos on his PC, without having to ask the phone's new owner to mess with it. Or am I missing something?
    05-19-12 01:58 PM
    So you are in contact with the person whom has your stolen BlackBerry smartphone? I am confused or you are a troll. And there is software available from a third-party that claims to be able to recover the content of encrypted BlackBerry backup files. If you are trying to recover individual files not a backup archive then there is software for that process as well.
    Trolling? Really dude, did you even read the OP's original post? Or any of the following posts? The guys father died and pictures of his recently deceased father were encrypted on his device, he had backups of that media card on his pc. Amazingly, he "pinned" (bbm'd) his old phone and contacted the person who seems to have purchased it legitimately.
    If you did read the entire thread, how in the world is that trolling? Come on.
    To the OP: I would really like to know if you are able to recover those files. I had a video of my father 2 months before he died, I took it myself on Christmas with a camera my mom got me. I lost the camera a month or two later. 2 years later I was looking thru files on my PC. I see some video file I didn't recognize, opened it up and there was my dad. I must have sync'd the camera that night to see how the process worked and forgot all about it. It was such a joy to find that I had video of him so close to his last days. I keep the video on my phone, and backups on a cd and my pc. Good luck OP. I would beg this guy who has your phone for his address and drive/fly/whatever right to him. Tell the guy you will take him and his significant other out to dinner, on you, for his troubles. If he has ever lost a loved one, he may even offer to pay.
    Last edited by Mamaluka; 05-20-12 at 04:04 AM.
    emtunc likes this.
    05-20-12 03:54 AM
    Good luck!

Sent from my VZW 9330.
    05-20-12 10:35 AM
    I hope things work out for you.
    05-20-12 12:18 PM
    lol trolling...didn't realise asking a genuine question on a forum was trolling, I guess we're all trolls then ;-) thanks Mamalula 4 explain! well just to update you all, we tried the emailing option and it didn't work, the guy has agreed to sell the phone back to me, he actually offered to give it to me but I offered payment 2 show my appreciation of being understanding so I'm hoping that when I get it I can do a straight restore and all will b ok..fingers crossed! And yes he will b gettin a big box of chocs!
    05-22-12 08:02 PM
    Sorry! *mamaluka 4 explaining!
    05-22-12 08:04 PM
    Win for u and ur BlackBerry!

Sent from my VZW 9330.
    05-23-12 07:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD