Again, its called business evolution.. What are they supposed to do, sit back and NOT create a non-business phone? Its just extra revenue for them on top of their already huge business market.... That still doesn't mean they were aiming to snatch the iphone crowd..

Iphone > storm.... and I know you know this.. so why are you saying that was their answer to the iphone?
    Simply because it was. I understand your blind loyalty, for whatever your reasons, but who were they marketing? Certainly not the business crowd. If not the iphone crowd then who?
    06-24-10 03:54 PM
    Actually a lot of people will buy iPhones and Android phones because they once had a BB and felt duped by RIM when they realized how much better other smartphones were.
    ......and a lot of people won't.
    06-24-10 03:55 PM
    Incorrect, they realized how much better other multimedia phone were. Thanks though.
    Like it or not, if your phone doesn't do this well, it will not sell.
    06-24-10 03:56 PM
    They were marketing people that wanted a blackberry and a touchscreen.... whats not to get there? If that was indeed their answer to the iphone DIRECTLY, then they failed horribly at it. Like they weren't even trying... so yeah....

Dude I am by no means a bb fanboy, I think droids and iphones are pretty neat. They're just not my thing.
    06-24-10 03:57 PM
    Incorrect, they realized how much better other multimedia phone were. Thanks though.
    Yeah multimedia phones that do everything BB's do and better. Keep reaching.
    06-24-10 03:58 PM
    Actually my phone does it well, I just don't obsess about it not doing it as good as the other guys. I listen to music, watch movies, watch youtube and take pictures/video and they all work fine.... But thats not why I bought my phone.
    06-24-10 03:59 PM
    ......and a lot of people won't.
    Yeah because we see tons of sellouts from RIM all the time year after year - like the Evo, Incredible, and iPhone.
    06-24-10 04:00 PM
    They were marketing people that wanted a blackberry and a touchscreen.... whats not to get there? If that was indeed their answer to the iphone DIRECTLY, then they failed horribly at it. Like they weren't even trying... so yeah....

Dude I am by no means a bb fanboy, I think droids and iphones are pretty neat. They're just not my thing.
    Apparently you didn't watch the storm commercials. If it was just about having a bb with a touch screen, why did RIM never highlight any of it's business features in the commercials?
    06-24-10 04:00 PM
    Actually my phone does it well, I just don't obsess about it not doing it as good as the other guys. I listen to music, watch movies, watch youtube and take pictures/video and they all work fine.... But thats not why I bought my phone.
    If by well you mean worse than any other platform then ok, I see your point. I would much rather have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.
    06-24-10 04:03 PM
    You're right. Next year rim will be out of business and we can all reflect on how smart you guys are.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-24-10 04:09 PM
    You're right. Next year rim will be out of business and we can all reflect on how smart you guys are.

So you go there when you don't have a legitimate response? No one said RIM will be out of business, but I can certainly understand your frustration. I'm a Redskins fan and It's sometimes hard to root for a loser when you know that at one time they were World champions!
    06-24-10 04:16 PM
    Listening to their conference call now, waiting for the q&a session.
    Honestly I think most of us have known that RIM's glory days are come to end. I can only expect rimm to continue to lose market share, especially with the Droid X coming out next month, and RIMM with no new blockbuster releases on the horizon.
    06-24-10 04:32 PM

Like anybody with any understanding of marketshare, it takes YEARS for a company to be in the dumps while they are on top. When people are locked into 2 year contracts, the market shift happens a lot slower - but we're already seeing the shift away from BB's. What do you think will happen when those within the last year or two who bought the Storm 1, 2, Tour 1, 2, Bold 9000, budget Curves start comparison shopping between the iPhone, Android, and BB? You really think the majority of them will stay with BB? That was a rhetorical question.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 06-24-10 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Unnecessary profanity
    06-24-10 04:44 PM
    Well its like whats the point of these threads? RIM is not going out of business, so who cares if they're scared of the iphone or android phones? You guys obviously try to get a rise out of the bb community and you expect us to not get defensive?

When has RIM EVER followed the trend (on time at least)? Never. They do their own thing and I truly do not believe, or hope, they ever change what they do and who they are about. This is NOT cut throat business like the restaurant industry, paper industry, fastener industry etc... Do you know how many business are 20, 30, 40, 50, 100 years old that haven't touched a thing? Think about it.

Yes, I would like more innovation, sure, but by no means stopping from liking my phone for what it is now. Its like, it runs perfect, I don't need anything better. I don't know what bb you have or had before you went elsewhere, but my bb plays crystal clear youtube videos, plays crystal clear music with an easy to use interface, browses the internet flawlessly and can text and message like no other. What more can anyone really need? Or want?

Whether the iphone, droid, evo etc does things better than bb, majority of people could care less. And by your theories that they're "so much better", you're basically calling everyone stupid for not having a "better" phone. Or you're just being ignorant and calling a hugely successful business stupid. One of the two. And if you are calling RIM stupid, then cool. Don't care. They are stupid in some aspects, but doesn't mean I'm going to drop them.

You guys always seem to forget the fact also that iphone and android spends GAZILLIONS of dollars in advertising and marketing. AND LAST TIME I CHECK, MARKETING SELLS THINGS. And that is a fact, you cannot deny that. Why do you think RIM is successful just the way they are? hmmmmm.... Word of mouth, longevity, reliability, and efficiency. NOT multimedia.
    06-24-10 04:56 PM
    Like anybody with any understanding of marketshare, it takes YEARS for a company to be in the ****hole while they are on top. When people are locked into 2 year contracts, the market shift happens a lot slower - but we're already seeing the shift away from BB's. What do you think will happen when those within the last year or two who bought the Storm 1, 2, Tour 1, 2, Bold 9000, budget Curves start comparison shopping between the iPhone, Android, and BB? You really think the majority of them will stay with BB? That was a rhetorical question.
    You are forgetting that these flies that drop out of the bb market will not ruin RIM by any means. They are not the cream of the crop.

How many corporations & companies, huge or small that rely on bb come in here and say "bb sucks, evo is better, we as a whole are ditching bb's?" ZERO. Yes, thats right, zero.
    06-24-10 05:01 PM
    You are forgetting that these flies that drop out of the bb market will not ruin RIM by any means. They are not the cream of the crop.

How many corporations & companies, huge or small that rely on bb come in here and say "bb sucks, evo is better, we as a whole are ditching bb's?" ZERO. Yes, thats right, zero.
    You obviously live in some alternate universe. Keep making stuff up. Seriously, read the news or do some research.
    06-24-10 05:26 PM
    Uh, not exactly ZERO (but I did not slag RIMs platform)

I work for a governmental agency and almost a year ago we took almost 300
    BlackBerrys out of service (full disclosure: on my recommendation) and replaced them other devices.
    06-24-10 05:28 PM
    You obviously live in some alternate universe. Keep making stuff up. Seriously, read the news or do some research.
    Awesome response.

06-24-10 05:29 PM
    What more can anyone really need? Or want
    100 years ago people were fine getting by with horse and carriage. If people still do that today, then cool.
    06-24-10 05:29 PM
    browses the internet flawlessly
    A Ford Pinto can take me down the street flawlessly - some people just have higher standards.
    06-24-10 05:35 PM
    Lol good point, but a pinto is over 30 years old....

06-24-10 05:55 PM
    I laughed uncontrollably at this comment. Yeah, every single person that buys a cell phone buys one that MUST have multimedia capabilities.

I suppose the dumbphone market is going to go down the tubes as well now that the iphone 4 has graced the earth. Why have a phone that just does what it should when you can have one with a camera that faces you?

There's a market for plain old dumbphones, there's a market for solid communications devices, and there's a market for do everything, over-the-top toys. The release of a single device to the market is not going to crush the rest of the market no matter what the fanboys think.

These types of threads are just so absolutely pointless and senseless, I really don't understand how people can be so ignorant to keep coming up with them.
    06-24-10 06:26 PM
    These threads are started for the sole purpose of getting under people's skin. The OP usually has 20 or fewer posts and never responds after the thread is created. RIM has just posted their earnings for the 1st quarter and seems they did okay. The iPhone will never bring them down as we all know.
    06-24-10 06:42 PM
    These threads are started for the sole purpose of getting under people's skin. The OP usually has 20 or fewer posts and never responds after the thread is created. RIM has just posted their earnings for the 1st quarter and seems they did okay. The iPhone will never bring them down as we all know.
    I know what you mean, then I jump in trying to get under everyone's skin. I was going to write a long rambling missive about you because you were the last poster before me but... meh. I'm having a calm day.

But next time, oh my, there will be bannings a plenty when the mods are done with me...
    06-24-10 07:11 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD