Does the release of a new Blackberry device and OS6 become that much more critical? I'm no fan of the iphone by any stretch. But in a way I'm glad that apple, along with HTC, are pushing the envelope. It forces a healthy competition where the consumer wins. I'm sure RIM has something up their proverbial sleeve. These next few months will be very interesting among the mobile community.
    06-24-10 09:10 AM
    I thought at first rim was not keeping up with the other devices but now it seems that they don't care for whatever reason. I had the incredible for a while but came back to BB. The android devices are nice but not for me. Look at the new iphone already having issues with the built in antenna and yellow marks on the screen. It seems all devices have their flaws anymore. What blows my mind is simple things the manufacturers don't put on phones like no flash on the new curve or no ability to enlarge fonts on a android device these things are no brainers! If you look at any phone forum there are issues with all devices. Let's see how rims results are in the next quarter.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-24-10 09:51 AM
    I completely agree, while I'm no fan of the iPhone I still like what they have done. The iphone coming out has spurred so much competition from other manufacturers. If it wasn't for the iPhone would the EVO exist? Hopefully we will see RIM surprise us. And a good new phone for sprint in the future that will have os6. I love Sprint (maybe one of the few) and won't give them up. We will have to see.

06-24-10 09:53 AM
    Yeah they're shaking in their pants right now...
    06-24-10 10:05 AM
    Yeah they're shaking in their pants right now...
    LOL, there's always one in the crowd. Of course RIM is not going to fold up shop. But it's kind of like the NFL draft. RIM is on the the clock.
    06-24-10 10:14 AM
    No matter what RIM does, people will still buy their iphones... And RIM will always have their customer base. So I don't get the purpose of these threads, at all.
    06-24-10 10:25 AM
    Did RIM not know it was being released today? They will react today as they have every other time a new phone is released.
    06-24-10 10:32 AM
    Did RIM not know it was being released today? They will react today as they have every other time a new phone is released.
    You are right. Unfortunately, their reaction is to do nothing hardware wise to woo any new customers or keep their current non business base.
    06-24-10 10:38 AM
    Keep in mind that not everyone, especially not a lot of people that frequent these forums, tirelessly examine specs and compare phones. Most people that I know go to the retail store of the carrier of their choice and pick a phone that they like the feel of or that looks good. A lot of people aren't going to know how fast the processor is or how much internal/external memory the device has. That being said, Apple will sell a ton of iPhones simply because EVERYONE knows what an iPhone is and thinks that it is the newest most cutting edge phone even though most of the new things added to the iPhone 4 are things that Blackberry and Android devices have been able to do for quite some time now.
    06-24-10 11:44 AM
    I do not think so. In fact, I would think that RIM are quiely laughing at Apple right now.

Here's one from the Crackberry iPhone section http://forums.crackberry.com/f99/iph...failed-487422/
    06-24-10 11:47 AM
    You are right. Unfortunately, their reaction is to do nothing hardware wise to woo any new customers or keep their current non business base.
    Oh, I don't know... to me, Apple is simply releasing the same phone yet again for the 4th time. Sure it looks a little different this time, but it's still basically the same.

Sort of like RIM's 9700 Bold is different from the 9000 Bold... about that much of a difference. With about the same level of feature updates as well.

Everyone bashes RIM for minor updates to their model lines ("RIM keeps releasing the same phone - epic fail"), and yet Apple does the same thing and people line up at stores over several days waiting on the new model to be released ("Oh My God, it's the second coming... and third... and now fourth...".

I don't get the double standard.
    06-24-10 11:53 AM
    I do not think so. In fact, I would think that RIM are quiely laughing at Apple right now.

Here's one from the Crackberry iPhone section http://forums.crackberry.com/f99/iph...failed-487422/
    I doubt they're laughing at the sales numbers.
    06-24-10 12:16 PM
    I completely agree, while I'm no fan of the iPhone I still like what they have done. The iphone coming out has spurred so much competition from other manufacturers. If it wasn't for the iPhone would the EVO exist? Hopefully we will see RIM surprise us. And a good new phone for sprint in the future that will have os6. I love Sprint (maybe one of the few) and won't give them up. We will have to see.

Yes it would, HTC were making touch screen phones long before iphone came out.

06-24-10 12:19 PM
    I think RIM is feeling lucky the Storm 1 had a somewhat faulty screen as opposed to a faulty antenna.
    06-24-10 12:32 PM
    I think RIM is feeling lucky the Storm 1 had a somewhat faulty screen as opposed to a faulty antenna.
    I agree with this even as an iPhone 4 purchaser. So far I haven't really had
    the issue thankfully. But we'll see how it all pans out. This just came up on BGR

That iOS 4 reception issue is looking more and more like a software bug � Boy Genius Report
    06-24-10 12:37 PM
    Ive said it once and i will say it again, rim apple two very different companies with two very different plans and out looks, is there any pressure for rim to feel, not at all. If rim put all of its resources into one device they would be unstoppable. They choose to market several, they have nothing to worry about.
    06-24-10 03:02 PM
    Yeah in response the iphone coming out they have revamped the blackberry market, you can now select a category and sort by most popular, instead of breaking it down into more sub categories

They added about 100 new and useful apps today, and finally fixed the youtube app

we got a webkit browser too, sure is nice

except none of this has happened, rim doesn't care, and likes to see apple win. Steve Jobs should send a memo " Thanks rim for not careing about your customers, we will take care of them" The same can be said for nokia

In fact, I think nokia might even be better than rim, lots more apps for sure
    06-24-10 03:19 PM
    ^^Awesome post
    06-24-10 03:28 PM
    You people are fools if you really think that they don't care. If they truly didn't care, there would never have been a storm and there wouldn't be a forthcoming 9800. Oh yea, and they wouldn't be trying to "pretty up" os6.
    06-24-10 03:33 PM
    So you're saying RIM is aiming towards the iphone crowd? Yeah, ok... have fun beating a dead horse....

People that buy iphones will buy iphones, regardless of what RIM does... Same goes for droid...

Its called business evolution... They're growing, so obviously they're gonna market different people, but to think they're trying to compete with the iphone is foolish.
    Last edited by Pi Guy 3.14; 06-24-10 at 03:48 PM. Reason: typo
    06-24-10 03:39 PM
    So you're saying RIM is aiming towards the iphone crowd? Yeah, ok... have fun beating a dead horse....

People that buy iphones will buy iphones, regardless of what RIM does... Same goes for droid...

Its called business evolution... They're growing, so obviously their gonna market different people, but to think they're trying to compete with the iphone is foolish.
    Beating a dead horse is so true here. If I want an iPhone I will get one but I do not I want to stick with RIM as I love my BB. The 9800 will be my next phone and next year when the iPhone 5 comes out with new features that my BB has had for years I will still stay with RIM,
    06-24-10 03:45 PM

Its called business evolution... They're growing, so obviously their gonna market different people, but to think they're trying to compete with the iphone is foolish.
    So who was RIM aiming for when they introduced the storm? Corporate CEO's?
    06-24-10 03:47 PM
    So who was RIM aiming for when they introduced the storm? Corporate CEO's?
    Again, its called business evolution.. What are they supposed to do, sit back and NOT create a non-business phone? Its just extra revenue for them on top of their already huge business market.... That still doesn't mean they were aiming to snatch the iphone crowd..

Iphone > storm.... and I know you know this.. so why are you saying that was their answer to the iphone?
    06-24-10 03:51 PM

Its called business evolution... They're growing, so obviously they're gonna market different people, but to think they're trying to compete with the iphone is foolish.
    Actually a lot of people will buy iPhones and Android phones because they once had a BB and felt duped by RIM when they realized how much better other smartphones were.

Keep making up your theories and ignoring market trends. Good stuff.
    06-24-10 03:52 PM
    Actually a lot of people will buy iPhones and Android phones because they once had a BB and felt duped by RIM when they realized how much better other smartphones were.

Keep making up your theories and ignoring market trends. Good stuff.
    Incorrect, they realized how much better other multimedia phone were. Thanks though.
    06-24-10 03:54 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD