Okay, got a replacement 8830 today. Manually activated phone portion with Verizon today and that works. However, since I am not technically located in their home coverage area, Verizon is telling me that I have to drive to a service area to activate the BB/Data portion with BB. Is that right? No way to manually register or configure? Help please, newbie!

I don't have 6 hours to spend on the road to get to a home area to activate that portion! BTW, the data services always work excellent in this ext network area...

thanks
    02-11-08 10:54 PM
    anyone be able to help?
    02-12-08 02:58 PM
    Try this:

Options then Advanced Options then Host Routing Table then press Menu and select Register Now
    02-12-08 06:33 PM
    thanks for the effort, have tried, but notta!

I can't believe there isn't a way to register phone outisde service area
    02-12-08 08:59 PM
    The phone can be programmed manually from an extended service area so that you can make and receive calls. Plus SMS will work at least. OTA programming (*228, option 1) won't work while your are in the extended network. Also features like *86 for VM won't work and instead you would need to dial your full 10 digit # (or modify your VM speed dial). #MIN/BAL/PMT/DATA will also not work. Registering a Blackberry on the extended network isn't going to be an option unfortunately.

Your only alternative would be to send it to someone you trust who is with the VZW digital footprint. Just have them complete the process of registering and having the service books sent (or completing the Enterprise Activation). It may be worth the overnight shipping charges considering the cost of gas and the time involved.

Often the devices work fairly well in the extended areas... assuming you make it past the hurdle of the first registration and service book push. However your results will vary depending on which carrier(s) your phone manages to pick up. Some of the smaller carriers may not have agreements to support the data traffic.
    Last edited by knightrd; 02-13-08 at 02:21 AM.
    02-13-08 02:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD