08-26-10 03:04 AM
    I have to laugh at that poorly written blog... c'mon bbm as the saving grace of Blackberry? While some people may miss it, I certainly was able to get on without it, especially since Google talk is on nearly every phone cross platform. I failed to see any valid point.

Also in reading related articles they mentioned that the whole mobile culture is about creating that next iconic pop cultural phone, and the lack of Android creating differentiation amongst handset makers, basically saying Android is a low buck solution for the losers of the mobile world... but the only basis on this is for low end phones. Obviously Android was a lame duck until manufactures decided to spec phones out with the latest and greatest. The only ones who suffer are the companies who provide budget built smart phones. Android has matured rather quickly considering it's only been on the market for about 2-3 years.
    08-26-10 04:25 AM
    "RIM never skimped on high quality screens and keyboards; there's a real assurance to that."

Yeah this Guy is really well informed.. I guess he still thinks it is 2007..
    08-26-10 08:56 AM
    "RIM never skimped on high quality screens and keyboards; there's a real assurance to that."

Yeah this Guy is really well informed.. I guess he still thinks it is 2007..
    Seriously. You have got to be kidding me on this one. This blog is worse than ones that are predicting RIMs doom.
    08-26-10 12:23 PM
    Seriously. You have got to be kidding me on this one. This blog is worse than ones that are predicting RIMs doom.
    You know the old saying about opinions....right?
    08-26-10 12:39 PM
    The security blackberrys offer to corporate users will continue to provide a good market share for RIM. That being said, market-share for RIM will continue to decrease in the consumer sector.
    08-26-10 12:44 PM
    Well where's your feedback? You posted the link.
    08-26-10 12:54 PM
    Well where's your feedback? You posted the link.
    I agree with what is being said. Is this pure speculation on my part? Of course it is. Nobody has a crystal ball for the future.
    08-26-10 01:06 PM
    You know the old saying about opinions....right?
    I'm sorry there is nothing high quality about plastic screen. Also, there is nothing high quality about the screen on the Torch when you compare it to the competition.

Only QWERTY BBs have high quality resolutions on their screens, too bad the screen itself is plastic.
    Last edited by avt123; 08-26-10 at 01:53 PM.
    08-26-10 01:49 PM
    I'm sorry there is nothing high quality about plastic screen. Also, there is nothing high quality about the screen on the Torch when you compare it to the competition.

Only QWERTY BBs have high quality resolutions on their screens, too bad the screen itself is plastic.
    My standards are different than yours. I don't want a larger device in my pocket and don't need a so-called high resolution screen, just because.

I would welcome the improvement if it came for free... but because you believe the screen isn't high quality, doesn't mean I don't.
    08-26-10 02:35 PM
    My standards are different than yours. I don't want a larger device in my pocket and don't need a so-called high resolution screen, just because.

I would welcome the improvement if it came for free... but because you believe the screen isn't high quality, doesn't mean I don't.
    I am talking about compared to the competition. And the screen doesn't even have to be big. When looking at the competition, the Torch/Storm (Storm is older though so it is more understandable) screen does not look as high of quality. I really don't see how anyone can argue this. You can think the screen by itself is high quality, but side by side to devices that are selling for the same price, it does not look as good. If someone can't tell the difference, I would recommend a visit to your local eye doctor (this is directed at anyone specific). The QWERTY Bs screens look much nicer. The resolutions fits the screen size better. But when you can see pixels on the screen holding the device 12+ inches away from your face (The Torch's screen), that doesn't really scream high quality.

And what do you mean came for free? You are paying for the screen either way.
    Last edited by avt123; 08-26-10 at 02:48 PM.
    08-26-10 02:44 PM
    I do agree, the bolds and tour screens fit the res, no complaints. The torch is a little more lacking.

Rim, make a touch screen bold and they will sell lol!!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-26-10 04:08 PM
    I actually think BBM may be their saving grace, especially among younger users. Just from my observations from around campus and talking to friends you would be surprised how many people have gotten a blackberry for the sole purpose of having BBM.
    08-26-10 05:51 PM

I really would like a hard glass screen on my 9700. That and A/V output would make it the ultimate device in my eyes.
    08-26-10 06:14 PM
    There isn't a whole lot of benefit to a glass screen on a non-touch screen, other than some people just wanting it... Even then, the main reason for the glass screen is due to capacitive, not the fact that it's a touch screen...
    08-26-10 06:43 PM
    To be honest i call pure Horse-**** on all blogs like this from "Reputable" writers. Android is a solid mobile OS i don't think anyone's gonna yell at me for that, Yes it has it's flaws but those can be changed, disguised, even taken out and fixed by the end user because of the open source approach.
    Having an Open Source OS Doesn't always make software very approachable because it's usually designed to have it's face ripped off and it's insides messed with, But Google did a brilliant job with Android making it easy to use and good looking, As well as highly accessible to both Developers AND Consumers. It's not marketed as aggressively as Apple's iPhone solution or even as RIM with the Blackberry commercials, Especially not in the UK.

Apple's iPhone is also a very good phone, The original one captivated and changed the mobile market as we know it today, Bringing BACK the touch screen and making it work brilliantly, Making it sensitive and precise as opposed to clumsy and semi-********. Then the 3G Came out which brought 3G Connectivity to the party and fans rejoiced, Even i was intrigued by where Apple would take it from there, But it seems all they've done from there is Add a compass and make the antenna worse... In that order. Apple succeeds because of it's highly aggressive marketing and appeal to vanity, And in such an egotistical and cosmetic world that's what sells. It's not sex any more, it's all about looking good.

RIM Just seems to sit quietly in the corner knowing their devices also have their flaws, But where they succeed, they blow away everything else on the market.
    The keyboard for instance, Almost any Mainstream BB (Short of the Pearl) can be recognised by it's full QWERTY keyboard built straight into the front of the phone, No slider which could break if sat on, And it was brilliantly designed. How many times have you picked up a phone which has a slide out keyboard and found it was too big, or too small, or the keys felt weird, or they were too raised up or not raised up enough?

Designing an efficient and useable keyboard is one **** of a task and RIM have accomplished it so many times, Look at the difference in Keyboard styling on the Curve and the Bold, 2 Completely different styled keyboards, Same brilliant functionality. You've got to factor in height, width, depth, shape, curvature, spacing, tactile feel, how it feels to type on whilst holding the phone safely and securely. It's a bloody MAMMOTH task but RIM Nail it every time.

The software has it's very occasional hicup and the phones do take forever to boot up but that's because it's the kind of phone to keep you CONNECTED, Y'know, Like a mobile phone is SUPPOSED to do anyway which means you DON'T turn it off, You put it into standby on a night and come back to your messages in the morning for instance.

If i wanted a phone to make me look good, I'd buy an iPhone.
    If i wanted a phone to support the open source movement, I'd buy an Android Phone.
    If i wanted a phone that helps me stay connected to both my business contacts, And my personal contacts easily, I'll buy a Blackberry... And i have.

Sorry for the bloody massive rant
    Last edited by Mowsey; 08-26-10 at 07:06 PM.
    08-26-10 07:02 PM
    RIM does make the best Qwerty Keyboard... and that would be great if everyone WANTED one. But with that wonderful keyboard you get a very small screen. Most consumers find a large screen is more appealing than the keyboard. As a species we are very visual, and that's why the Storm, iPhone and seems like dozens of android device are so popular. But many do still want a physical keyboard, thus you have the sliders like the TORCH, Droid2 and many others.

I know a lot of folks here are happy with their small screen, and it is fine if all you are doing is messaging. But if you want to browser the internet, use a navigation application, or even watch the NFL Live... a larger touch screen device just can not be beat.

I'm also not so sure RIM is blowing away the competition... if anything the competition is quickly gaining on them.

Battery Life - I hear a lot of talk about how the battery on BB last so much longer. But when you look at the standby times and talk times there isn't much difference in a BB and any other phone with the same size screen (compare the TORCH, iPhone and Captivate on AT&T all are equal). What there is, is a difference in just what the devices can do. Most BB were pitiful at browsing the internet.. so no one did, sure they might look something up once in a while but they didn't set there for 30 minutes in a waiting room browsing the internet. And with very few application or games... a BB just doesnt get used as much, so it's battery last longer.

EMAIL - I remember my PALM, it might be 20 minutes before I'd get an email. And there was no way (that I knew of) to sync contacts or calendar). But Everyone can sync now and the difference in email delivery is measured in seconds not minutes anymore.

Security - RIM still has that locked up, so if you are Paris Hilton or the President then a BB is probably the best device for your. For the average consumer... it just doesn't mean that much.

So just where is RIM blowing anyone away??

Sorry about my rant, but I'd rally like to see RIM make some competitive device!
    08-26-10 09:05 PM
    But when you look at the standby times and talk times there isn't much difference in a BB and any other phone with the same size screen (compare the TORCH, iPhone and Captivate on AT&T all are equal).
    You see, that's what people do all day. They "look" and without using the phones themselves they come to conclusions.
    08-26-10 10:51 PM
    I am talking about compared to the competition. And the screen doesn't even have to be big. When looking at the competition, the Torch/Storm (Storm is older though so it is more understandable) screen does not look as high of quality. I really don't see how anyone can argue this. You can think the screen by itself is high quality, but side by side to devices that are selling for the same price, it does not look as good. If someone can't tell the difference, I would recommend a visit to your local eye doctor (this is directed at anyone specific). The QWERTY Bs screens look much nicer. The resolutions fits the screen size better. But when you can see pixels on the screen holding the device 12+ inches away from your face (The Torch's screen), that doesn't really scream high quality.

And what do you mean came for free? You are paying for the screen either way.
    The difference isn't as dramatic as your post makes it out. One of the pluses of the storm over AMOLED is that I can read it no issue in full sunlight with polarized sunglasses. I've seen Amoled screens in bright sunlight. The storm screen is far from bad. Movies youtube etc all are pleasing to the eye. Text is very easy to read.

08-26-10 11:12 PM
    The difference isn't as dramatic as your post makes it out. One of the pluses of the storm over AMOLED is that I can read it no issue in full sunlight with polarized sunglasses. I've seen Amoled screens in bright sunlight. The storm screen is far from bad. Movies youtube etc all are pleasing to the eye. Text is very easy to read.

I use to think that same thing about my storm, but then I found a setting on my incredible that adjust for room brightness. It by default is turned off, since turning it on, I can read in the sun (in AZ mind you where there is almost never a cloudy day) just as well as I could on my storm. I will say that the screen resolution on my Inc seems to look far superior to the storm though, especially in vid playback.
    08-26-10 11:20 PM
    my brother bought an htc desire on a business contract for him and his g/f. I have no qualms with that nor do i see android a horrible os. It's creating a lot of buzz but i dont necessarily see it as the end of the reign of either apple or for RIM. apple phones suck but that doesn't mean it sucks for someone else, it just isnt for me.

I think the desire is well thought out device with the guts to live a long life. android is great for the open source community but i doubt my brother really gives a crap about stuff like that. My brother and I are so different in that he doesnt care for what operating system is in there but whether or not the experience is going to serve him. He doesnt like the eco system of apple but he was prepared to check it out. Glad he didnt because he hates itunes etc but i dont think the limitations would have affected him.

I want a blackberry device because i know what i want but the limitations that other users may see in RIM devices do not phase me nor do i see it in that light.

RIM wont have to worry about android but it certainly needs to keep relevant in a far stronger competitive landscape...
    08-26-10 11:54 PM

I'm not even talking about AMOLED screens. The difference is pretty dramatic, the resolution on the competitions screens is almost double the amount of BBs best current touchscreen screen. Most high end devices are coming out with screens with resolutions of at least 800x480. That is a dramatic difference. I don't like AMOLED screens that much due to the sunlight issues you are talking about above, but they are higher quality than what is currently int he Storm. It does have it's tradeoffs though.

I never said the screen is bad. It is just not as high of quality as what the competition is putting out.
    08-27-10 09:39 AM
    I mean he did open up the blog post with this:

Now, bearing in mind that I've been wrong about mobile more than I've been wrong about anything else - quite epically and unheroically wrong
    08-27-10 09:45 AM
    I'm not even talking about AMOLED screens. The difference is pretty dramatic, the resolution on the competitions screens is almost double the amount of BBs best current touchscreen screen. Most high end devices are coming out with screens with resolutions of at least 800x480. That is a dramatic difference. I don't like AMOLED screens that much due to the sunlight issues you are talking about above, but they are higher quality than what is currently int he Storm. It does have it's tradeoffs though.

I never said the screen is bad. It is just not as high of quality as what the competition is putting out.
    OK, I agree, the competitions screen have more resolution, but so what? The S2 is a perfectly useable device for me. The DROID with it's latest technology, is a perfectly unuseable device for me. It's never about the technology it's about functions and use, they are individual preferences. It's not about "paying" for old technology, it's about what the phone can do.

There have been many threads/posts about capabilities and functions, amongst these devices, I'm not even going to start again.
    08-27-10 10:07 AM
    OK, I agree, the competitions screen have more resolution, but so what? The S2 is a perfectly useable device for me. The DROID with it's latest technology, is a perfectly unuseable device for me. It's never about the technology it's about functions and use, they are individual preferences. It's not about "paying" for old technology, it's about what the phone can do.

There have been many threads/posts about capabilities and functions, amongst these devices, I'm not even going to start again.
    This has nothing to due with the Droid or its usability for you. I know the screen is perfectly usable, but that was not the point. Anyways, yea, we don't need another specs war thread, even though that's not what I was trying to make this.
    08-27-10 10:10 AM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD