Well I am a BlackBerry Pearl user. "20's" model. I am 15, and I do not pay the bill . However after having a word with my mom. She decided that she was paying too much for my phone bill(tight budget right now) and she felt that she was going to remove certain services.

My Current Plan:
    39.99, My Favs and 300 anytime mins.
    34.99 Unlimited texting+BB Data Plan

I am no CEO of a company or a professional for that matter, but I love the BlackBerry. I would not have any other phone. I use it alot in school actually (Not for social purposes) but I review over essays. Check e-mails from teachers/school. If I have something to look up, I just hop on to my BB and research it.

Brings me to the point of the Topic. The service I will be losing will be the Data Service. I can still have service from my Pearl without data. The question I have for you guys is "How many functionalities will I lose?" I do have Wi-Fi at home. However are all apps usable with Wi-Fi? Also no MMS right? Does it get to a point where it isn't worth having the BlackBerry or I won't notice too much of a change without my data plan?

PS: Anyone got any tips to convince my mom to not change my plan xD?
    07-13-09 05:46 PM
    The simple answer to this is that your ability to use apps will be severely
    limited even on Wi-Fi. Some apps work on Wi-Fi, some don't.

@ the P.S. question: A part time job?
    07-13-09 05:56 PM
    The simple answer to this is that your ability to use apps will be severely
    limited even on Wi-Fi. Some apps work on Wi-Fi, some don't.

@ the P.S. question: A part time job?
    I was afraid of that =/. Guess we gotta change the topic to how I can convince my mom(Jk jk dun, ban me mods)
    07-13-09 05:58 PM
    It also depends which carrier you use. Some carriers require you to have a data plan with a blackberry. Maybe if your carrier is one that requires a data plan that will help change your moms mind

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-13-09 06:28 PM
    8120 with T-Mobile? I thought they have a $19 data plan. You may lose unlimited text messages, but at least your keep your web surfing and email.

07-13-09 07:06 PM
    Yeah. Part time job is the way to go. I'm a year older than u and I pay my bill which is $70 - $75 a month. I love having the BB data. I need it. I get emails from family and friends and also CB! anyways. You'd be losing your browser (you can access it through wi-fi though), you'd be losing BBM and push email. I don't think there is a point of a blackberry if you don't have a data plan. Its pointless. You lose too many of the important features.

07-13-09 07:28 PM
    The part time job thing is a great start. With that said having your blackberry without a data plan isnt that horrible. Yes, there are alot of programs that wont work on wifi unless you have a data plan already, but there are some work arounds. Im not sure exactly which program but one of them will do instant messengers like aim and yahoo using wifi. Think its beejive ( before the flamers come...I know I could be wrong with that) worth looking into. Another thing to look into is the gmail app. You wont have push email but if your in a wifi area you can still check your email. I had a few blackberries without data plans before and it wasnt the greatest of all things but it served its purpose. Dont let people that say "if you dont have a data plan then its pointless" get to you. Make a wise decision based upon your needs. Not everyone NEEDS a blackberry but many claim they do.
    07-13-09 07:55 PM
    If you use email you must have the BB Data service. Without this you lose all access to email, which you said you use to communicate with school. You will probably also lose other internet access, because BB programs are designed around the data service. This might mean you can't even use the browser to check through webmail.

Is that suitable ammunition? I would accept dropping down to the $19 T-Mo base plan, and eliminate any luxury items on your plans. Go check the current T-Mo plans on their website and see what is the best deal available for what you really need.
    07-13-09 07:57 PM
    Or, what you could do, is tell your mom to give TMO a call and see if they can perhaps apply a special discount .. even if it's $10 .. I'm not sure if American carriers do this, but I know Canadian carriers do this, I get a discount and I am a student and I pay for my own bills.
    07-13-09 09:05 PM
    Or, what you could do, is tell your mom to give TMO a call and see if they can perhaps apply a special discount .. even if it's $10 .. I'm not sure if American carriers do this, but I know Canadian carriers do this, I get a discount and I am a student and I pay for my own bills.
    Your with rogers right?. What did u say to them. I need a discount also

07-13-09 09:10 PM
    Your with rogers right?. What did u say to them. I need a discount also

Yeah man! Ill send you a PM with my PIN, I will tell you there.
    Last edited by raji.t; 07-13-09 at 09:17 PM. Reason: sentence made absolutely no sense :p
    07-13-09 09:12 PM
    try grabbing a part time job... anywhere so you have a little money in your pocket.. and can either pay your whole bill or half.... also if you slip your mom a 20 here and there it will be greatly appreciated shows your being responsible and trying to help.. and also shows your not a child and can be mature..
    07-13-09 11:28 PM
    The only advice I would give you is take alook at your & your mothers plans (and anyone else on ur service). look at the whole bill and see if you can find another way to reduce the TOTAL cost. Family plan ETC
    07-14-09 08:53 AM
    Just get a part-time job! Work at mcdonalds or something lol
    07-14-09 11:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD