BGR just posted this Verizon Wireless to require enterprise level data plan for BESX access? � Boy Genius Report

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by maxiang; 03-13-10 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Fix the link
    03-13-10 01:40 PM
    And?

VZW is enforcing it's Exhange Email policies for BlackBerry.

03-13-10 01:55 PM
    No, BES Express. I am a little confused as to what this means. I think it means if you use BESX through Verizon instead of your own server it will cost more. IDK.
    03-13-10 02:34 PM
    Greed.

Youre paying THEM more to use your OWN server.

Makes a whole lot of sense
    03-13-10 02:44 PM
    Greed.

Youre paying THEM more to use your OWN server.

Makes a whole lot of sense
    This isn't greed, you need the correct data plan to access corporate email and has always been this way. You can blame VZW/AT&T for not being stringent accross the board with all it's smartphones (Droid/iPhone are wonderful exceptions)
    03-13-10 02:53 PM
    I don't think some of you understand what this means.

If someone wants to use BESX on Verizon, the minimum data package is $45/month.

If someone wants to use BESX on any other carrier, the minimum data package is $30/month.
    03-13-10 03:03 PM
    This isn't greed, you need the correct data plan to access corporate email and has always been this way.
    So "always been that way" makes it a good policy?

So they charge you LESS for BIS than BES when BES requires you to support your own server and equipment? That makes a whole lot of sense.

EITHER WAY to RIM data is just passing through their servers. Its not like theyre hosting your data on BIS or BES, so there shouldnt be a pricing difference to begin with.
    03-13-10 03:10 PM
    BES provides functionality people on BIS can only dream about. You get what you pay for.
    03-14-10 07:39 PM
    BES provides functionality people on BIS can only dream about. You get what you pay for.
    BESX is not intended for the same corporate market as a standard BES though and if Verizon don't allow people to use it with the normal BIS tariffs then they will lose customers to the carriers that do allow this.
    03-15-10 04:53 AM
    So say I set up my own BESX server. Could I in theory avoid the $45 charge? I'm not getting it.
    03-15-10 05:05 AM
    So say I set up my own BESX server. Could I in theory avoid the $45 charge? I'm not getting it.
    No, if you set up your BESX on YOUR server, big red will still view that plan as a BES plan. and charge you 45$ instead of the 30$ BIS plan price.

03-15-10 07:28 AM
    this is not likely to happen...

At the end of the day, unfortunately, regardless of the cost of implementation or cost to the carrier, an extra service that only some people want can be charged as an extra.. VZ has excelled at that.. and their customers are used to it.

BESX is not intended for the same corporate market as a standard BES though and if Verizon don't allow people to use it with the normal BIS tariffs then they will lose customers to the carriers that do allow this.
    03-15-10 07:45 AM
    The same way they lose BES and BIS customers to Sprint and TMo now?
    03-15-10 10:08 AM
    Really? Dream about? From and end user perspective in terms of email capabilities, what does BES bring to the table besides wireless sync for mailbox folders, calendar, and contacts with their corporate account? I'm pretty sure end users don't care too much about the remote wipe and security policy pushes of the platform. Most BES end users don't use much beyond these capabilities, yet everyone thinks BES is some kind of magic fruit or something.
    03-15-10 10:17 AM
    The functions I like the most about BES is ability to file messages to, and retrieve messages from subfolders in my inbox. I've got quite a few, and it really helps to be able to find filed messages. Also like the ability to perform Global Address lookup for anyone within our 8000+ employee company. Access to corporate intranet is also a big plus for me. And instant sync/push for email, contacts and calendar is a must for me.

Shouldn't have assumed BIS users want/need these functions, sorry about that. For me, BES is a must. And if I only had BIS and for another $15 per month could have BES functionality, it's well worth it to me. Others may not feel the same, and I can certainly see why the price increase would stink.
    03-15-10 11:10 AM
    Well, about three years ago i think yours would have been a safe asssumption, but even a casual troll through the forums these days (and not to mention the sales numbers from RIM) clearly indicates that consumers are getting to be the vast majority of BB users....

Once iPhone gets multi-tasking, an led and a flash they will all go away ..lol

The functions I like the most about BES is ability to file messages to, and retrieve messages from subfolders in my inbox. I've got quite a few, and it really helps to be able to find filed messages. Also like the ability to perform Global Address lookup for anyone within our 8000+ employee company. Access to corporate intranet is also a big plus for me. And instant sync/push for email, contacts and calendar is a must for me.

Shouldn't have assumed BIS users want/need these functions, sorry about that. For me, BES is a must. And if I only had BIS and for another $15 per month could have BES functionality, it's well worth it to me. Others may not feel the same, and I can certainly see why the price increase would stink.
    03-15-10 12:15 PM
    Whatever. Bottom line is I don't see any problem with VZW wanting to charge the corp data plan rate for a customer receiving BESX service. Don't like it? Don't use BESX or VZW.
    03-15-10 12:22 PM
    I need a little help please to clear some questions with BESX and BIS. I have someone in my office that is connected to BESX on BIS. I happened to be mistaken and went in and changed my plan to BES from BIS so I could connect to BESX. We are both on BESX and it is working great. I wanted to go back in and change back to BIS today and I read this "change" that Verizon was going to start enforcing. My question is once Verizon "enforces" this change, how do they stop you from connecting to BESX? Will those with BIS be automatically disconnected? I am fairly new to the BES/BESX world. Thanks for any help.
    03-15-10 03:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD