Folks,

Anyone familiar with this product? REDFLY - by Celio Corp I saw one today at the Verizon store here and it looked pretty impressive. It's a device, looks like a netbook, that connects to your smartphone via bluetooth. It then lets you use the phone as a mini computer, you get the full keyboard and the mini screen (I think the model I saw had a 7 inch screen). It displays the phone screen on the Redfly screen. It will be great for doing major schedule work, or contact book work, for web browsing, and for watching video. Right now it's only available for Winmo, BUT a verizon regional manager (and the RIM rep beside him did NOT correct him) suggested they are working on a drivers for blackberry in particular the Storm.

Could this really be coming to our Storms? Keep in mind it WAS a Verizon rep who told me, so take it with a grain of salt. They also suggested that a new version of the OS for the storm is coming soon. I told him I'll hold my breath.
    05-12-09 03:27 PM
    I have a toshiba laptop that I already tether to my storm and use my laptop to do all my heavy lifting and by pressing a sync button I get it all done plus the bennies of a real laptop....I don't know....I am sure there is a market for this product but I wouldn't want to pay more than $150 for it. IMO Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by simbosis; 05-12-09 at 04:57 PM.
    05-12-09 04:43 PM
    Checked out the site and the base model is $199 after $30 mail in rebate...fairly close to what I would pay. Still...I think I will hold out til I can get the chip that implants directly into my brain so my blackberry and I can finally be one! Come on! Legalize blackberry marriage! Sweet sweet blackberry coursing through my veins!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-12-09 04:50 PM
    I've got to agree, it's a neat concept, but for about the same price and size I can get a netbook like an Eee PC with a lot more functionality. I've got Ubuntu on my full-sized laptop and have tethering working via BlueTooth. Now something like the Bluetooth Laser Keyboard (see ThinkGeek's website) paired with a tiny projector (Google "World's Smallest Projector" and you'll find some really tiny ones - can't wait until I'm grown up enough to post links! ) could be neat since it would probably be about the same size as the Storm itself is.
    05-12-09 04:59 PM
    Bump! I was right! Did anyone read the blogs today. But who told you about it in may?
    09-15-09 08:40 AM
    Good call, but the previous posters had it, from what I think, correct. At its current price you could get a netbook or small laptop and just wait for an app that can do this on it and still have all the benefits of a PC. I would love to get one, and use my Storm as my only computer, however there is still quite a bit my storm can't do, as far as I know, that I need in a daily computer.
    09-15-09 01:06 PM
    Oh yea I would surely not do it, but hey it's nice to know you got options. I would probably consider it at the 100 price point.
    09-15-09 01:13 PM
    Waste of money.
    09-15-09 01:52 PM
    Waste of money.
    Compared to what? I would like to be able to control my Storm in this way. If this is the only way to do it, then it surely is not a waste of money. May be priced a bit too high, but not a waste of money if there is no alternative.
    09-15-09 02:10 PM
    Anyone know if this would be subject to the possible HUGE data charges which some users have encountered when using Tetherberry?? Seems like REDFLY is a different 'animal' than Tetherberry, but I'd hate to be 'surprised' by a multi thousand dollar bill from Verizon!!
    09-15-09 02:24 PM
    No overages at all, you are simply viewing your BB screen on the device. Way different than tethering, or tetherberry.
    09-15-09 02:54 PM
    I sort of like the idea, although if I could just bring up my BB screen on a NetBook, that would work just as good, with more functionality.
    09-15-09 03:04 PM
    No overages at all, you are simply viewing your BB screen on the device. Way different than tethering, or tetherberry.
    Well, pkcable, you're not actually "simply viewing your BB screen on the device." You're navigating to websites, accessing applications, etc. using the keyboard on the REDFLY - NOT the keyboard on the BB. But, I'll take your advice that it's not the same as Tetherberry. So, that's GREAT! I agree that it would be better if I could use my netbook (that's why I bought Tetherberry before I got scared off by the tales of users who'd been creamed by data bills from Verizon), but failing that, I find REDFLY very, very tempting.
    Last edited by rosariorose9; 09-15-09 at 04:29 PM.
    09-15-09 04:24 PM
    Checked out the site and the base model is $199 after $30 mail in rebate...fairly close to what I would pay. Still...I think I will hold out til I can get the chip that implants directly into my brain so my blackberry and I can finally be one! Come on! Legalize blackberry marriage! Sweet sweet blackberry coursing through my veins!

LMAO

But seriously, could be just the device for me. Thought about getting another laptop but this might be a better alternative than dragging a 10:11:13 PM around for what little need I'd have for it.

Thanks for the heads up!
    09-15-09 10:12 PM
    Well, pkcable, you're not actually "simply viewing your BB screen on the device." You're navigating to websites, accessing applications, etc. using the keyboard on the REDFLY - NOT the keyboard on the BB. But, I'll take your advice that it's not the same as Tetherberry. So, that's GREAT! I agree that it would be better if I could use my netbook (that's why I bought Tetherberry before I got scared off by the tales of users who'd been creamed by data bills from Verizon), but failing that, I find REDFLY very, very tempting.
    No, but you really are. Imagine putting a 7" screen and a keyboard on your storm. Thats what you are doing. You aren't using any applications but the applications loaded on your BB. You aren't using a netbook with its own IP, MAC, processor, ect... you are using the BB.

From the website:
    What is the REDFLY Mobile Companion?

REDFLY is a smartphone terminal with a large screen and full keyboard with no OS, no CPU, and no storage that lets you use your smartphone like a laptop. REDFLY links to your smartphone via a USB cable or wireless Bluetooth connection.

Easily do email, read attachments, view web sites, and use applications that reside on your smartphone with up to 8 hours of battery life.

REDFLY gives you anytime, anywhere full-screen access to Web 2.0 and line of business applications that reside on your company network or the Internet.

Since the unique REDFLY terminal architecture has no OS, CPU or storage, it lowers TCO, provides data loss protection, and improves corporate security.

REDFLY is unlike any sub-compact laptop, netbook or UMPC because it has no CPU, memory or OS. There's no need to sync with a smartphone or manage the REDFLY in any way. Just install the over-the-air driver on your phone, connect to REDFLY and you see your smartphone in a whole new way.
    09-15-09 10:24 PM
    LMAO

But seriously, could be just the device for me. Thought about getting another laptop but this might be a better alternative than dragging a 10:11:13 PM around for what little need I'd have for it.

Thanks for the heads up!
    Hey... you're on central time!
    09-15-09 10:27 PM
    Who knew? Abreiviating laptop enters your current Local Time!
    09-16-09 07:28 AM
    Thanks, brentoli. Cogent explanation...
    09-16-09 12:22 PM
    I own a Redfly windows version and having been waiting for this announcement that it is coming to Blackberry. I hope I can buy the software without the device since I already have one. Very slick to use. Plus you don't have to worry about the content because it transfer the information from your Blackberry to the Redfly and when you are done, transfers it back to the Blackberry. Easy to type and easy to use. I can't wait until this is released to Blackberry. Thanks and take care.
    09-18-09 12:34 AM
    ^^^

Thanks for the report. Do you find the speed of the browser distracting?
    09-18-09 10:25 PM
    This should be fully verizon authorized, it was shown to my by a Verizon Data Regional Manager. As Brentoli explained it just puts your BB screen on it's screen and gives you a full keyboard.
    09-18-09 11:13 PM
    ^^^

Curious why Verizon would be 'ok' with Redfly, but not 'ok' with Tetherberry. Verizon wants those extra $$$ from its customers if they want to use their connection for anything other than the phone itself. Perhaps that Manager's reaction resulted entirely from the fact that Verizon has (unlike with Tetherberry) no way to monitor Redfly's use?
    09-19-09 03:39 PM
    I can't figure out why there are so many people who cant grasp the concept that this device is basically like using BB on a larger screen with a larger key board. Why would Verizon give a crap about that? With teatherberry you are using your BB as a link to the internet (modem), this device cannot do that at all. It is only adding a larger screen and bigger keyboard.

09-19-09 04:54 PM
    I'd like to see a program that emulates the Redfly for a laptop. I mean common! If they can do a "dumb" version (no OS, no CPU), I KNOW they can do it w a smart computer. I've seen the Bayalink solution to this, but I don't want their UI. I want the blackberry UI. I want Redfly app/program for my laptop. Berry control thru USB/BT
    09-19-09 05:34 PM
    I'd like to see a program that emulates the Redfly for a laptop. I mean common! If they can do a "dumb" version (no OS, no CPU), I KNOW they can do it w a smart computer. I've seen the Bayalink solution to this, but I don't want their UI. I want the blackberry UI. I want Redfly app/program for my laptop. Berry control thru USB/BT
    Yeah! that sounds like a better idea software supported on my laptop, not another mini laptop to lug around in addition to my laptop & BB.
    09-19-09 05:48 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD