DISCLAIMER: I realize this post has nothing to do with BB. However, posting it in the Off Topic forum would be unlikely to receive the much needed help I am desperately asking for.

The other day I was using a partitioning tool called GParted from an Ubuntu live CD to increase the size of a partition on one of my hard drives. I have done this before and it's usually great. This time for whatever reason the program froze. I waited a good 20 minutes to see if it would become responsive again. Unfortunately it didn't and I was forced to reboot. This damaged the partition I was attempting to increase. It basically looks as if it is unformatted. The disk size looks correct.

The majority of my important data was on this partition including 2 years worth of photos, and all of my BB software.

I am pleading for anyone's help that has experience recovering a damaged partition of this manner. I have already attempted to use a DDRescue to copy the partition to an external drive. While it did copy the partition, it didn't allow me to regain access to the data. I have tried a couple of windows recovery apps but they are unsuccessful since the partition cannot be accessed by drive letter.

Does anyone have suggestions of what else to try?
    11-03-08 11:39 AM
    If you take the drive and install it as a slave in another computer does it see it?
    11-03-08 11:48 AM
    eek. I know macs can be connected by fire-wires ....my mac's HD failed and would not even boot. Apple had me bring in my friends laptop and even tho my laptop would not boot, the firewire was able to put my whole harddrive contents on her mac. They then replaced my HD and reloaded everything from my friend's mac.
    11-03-08 11:57 AM
    Is this a PC that your trying to dual boot ubuntu on? If so and your running xp try this Freeware Data Recovery
    11-03-08 12:01 PM
    If you take the drive and install it as a slave in another computer does it see it?
    No. The drive was set up as a slave to begin with.
    11-03-08 12:02 PM
    Has this hard drive had xp installed on it before?
    If its ntfs you could install xp on it without formatting it then either make an iso of the drive and mount the image somewhere else or copy the files you need to an external.
    11-03-08 12:08 PM
    Um you may try looking on freshmeat.net or posting your question on a linux forum. I was a linux nut for a long time and the forums are very friendly.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-03-08 12:15 PM
    Has this hard drive had xp installed on it before?
    If its ntfs you could install xp on it without formatting it then either make an iso of the drive and mount the image somewhere else or copy the files you need to an external.
    Part of the problem is that the information on the drive that says it should be formatted as NTFS is damaged. When attempting to access it from Disk Management in XP (while it is hooked up as a slave) it ask me if I want to format the drive.

I do have that DTI data tool on my list of things to try next. I'm currently running TestDisk to try and repair the MFT/boot sector.
    11-03-08 02:58 PM
    Boot sector repair?

Repair XP

Good luck, there must be a way back from here.
    11-03-08 03:20 PM
    I have successfully used a third-party disk recovery service in Texas twice. They're not cheap, and they will destroy your drive, but they almost certainly can recover your data. If you want, I'll PM you the name. Or you can just google and probably find them.
    11-03-08 03:41 PM
    The HDD is recognized in your machine though, yeah? If it is, there are a few programs out there that you can try to get the information off the drive for, then destroy / reformat the drive. I've used them and successfully gotten things back for people who thought that they had fried drives. They even took the drives to the techs at work, techs at stores, and a few other places who all could not get anything back. In my hands for about 45 minutes on a 80gb drive, I got back 60gb of a single users email, pictures, and documents.
    11-03-08 05:42 PM
    Sunkast. If I remember correctly you should swap the order of the drives. Boot from disc using the bad drive as the master. You can try repair, but I don't think it will work. It probably thinks your drive is pqrt now. With it as master try to install without formatting. Or another option is to us slax unix live disc....google slax. Download the iso and burn to dvd. Boot from the slax disc and use root ast name and toor as pass. Then you can see the files on the dead drive....if you have a network you can pass the files. Might not be the fastest way to do it but it should work. Feel free to pin me if you need more help

11-03-08 07:16 PM
    I was able to use TestDisk to recover the data finally. Thank you to the mods for understanding my situation and leaving the thread in this forum. And thank you to those above for your suggestions.
    11-05-08 05:53 PM
    Glad you got it sunkast.

11-05-08 06:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD