I am in Savannah GA. I have T-Mobile. I am out of contract and would like to consider my options before extending.

I need 3 lines, all Blackberries.

What deals are out there that I need to look at?
    11-27-09 08:08 AM
    As you know, the major carriers are all going to charge you around $30/mo per line for a data plan. So you're in for $90/mo already, regardless of which carrier you go with. It would be helpful to know how many minutes you use combined, and how much texting. But just as a baseline 3 lines @ 1400 minutes per month on VZW with unlimited texting is $130/mo. Subtract $20/mo for 700 min, add $20/mo for 2100 min. So $130+$90=$220+tax & miscellaneous fees = ~$250/mo. Which actually isn't terrible.

AT&T @ 1400 min is $90 + $10 per add'l, so $110/mo. Plus unlimited texting @ $30/mo + $30/mo per BB data plan ($90/mo) = $110+$30+$90=$230/mo + tax & fees = ~$255-$260/mo.

So it looks like your monthly spend on VZW is going to be comparable to what it would be on AT&T (which is interesting.) Since you're on T-Mo you already know their prices.

Sprint/Nextel. I honestly couldn't figure out the plans on their website. When I selected "family plans" it kicked me over the Direct Connect plans. Weird. Must be me. In any event, my understanding of the way they price and bundle services is that they would be the least expensive option (if you can figure out how to sign up, of course.)

Ultimately, if price is your key driver, I'd look at Sprint/Nextel first. If quality and consistency of service, quality and consistency of customer service, and reasonable price points are what you're looking for I'd look at VZW. In the interest of full disclosure I've been with VZW for many years and can't imagine going with another carrier. Although it can be a challenge at times dealing with the reps in their corp stores (present company on CB excluded, of course), their Customer Service folks on the phone are consistently terrific. They're a few buck more a month, but worth it to me.

Good luck as you work through possibly making a change!
    11-27-09 08:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD