In March, the City of Allentown, PA:
    (Morning Call (Allentown, PA) Via Acquire Media NewsEdge) Mar. 15--Starting Friday in Allentown, people caught talking, texting or browsing the Web on a hand-held cell phone while driving can be ticketed and fined $150 to $300.

Starting Friday in Allentown, people caught talking, texting or browsing the Web on a hand-held cell phone while driving can be ticketed and fined $150 to $300.

They will not have to be pulled over for another offense like taillight, etc.

Bethlehem, PA has a law pending.

Here is a link to a site that list the laws:

Cellphone Laws

Just thought maybe I would compile a list and or links for the cell phone changes.....
    Last edited by Tony Bag O Donuts; 04-20-10 at 02:02 PM. Reason: added info
    04-20-10 12:58 PM
    We've had this in effect in Philadelphia for some time now. Unfortunatley it doesn't curb the amount of use while driving for most people. The law in Philly does not specify anything about emails and that is a loop hole that has been used in court. It says texting, web browsing and talking. That should be fixed. Thanks for the info.
    04-20-10 01:17 PM
    Yeah it's weird because PA hasn't adopted statewide a cell phone bill so who knows when you go where.
    04-20-10 01:20 PM
    I got stopped in Doylestown about a month ago reading an email at a stop light. I didn't get a ticket or anything but he told me they are working on laws regarding data and cell use in that area. He said he can already see issues because my comback was I was at a stop light so i wasn't doing anything while driving. There are alot of loop holes in these laws and unless they cover them all, they will have some fighting on their hands. Its dangerous while driving, but it's one of those things that I don't think will change any time in the near future. As long as there are cell phones used in mass, there will be people using them while driving.
    04-20-10 01:26 PM
    Funny enough, I see more cops in Philly on their phone while driving then other drivers. I'm sure they have a "it was police business" clause they throw around though if questioned about it.
    04-20-10 01:27 PM
    This went into effect in Ontario in October I think. Hasn't really stopped anyone I drive with. It only gives them an excuse to not talk to people they don't want to be on the phone with. "Oh, Mom? I'mdrivinggottagobye!" -click-
    04-20-10 01:31 PM
    I think texting and driving is a no-no for anyone and talking on a phone while driving for under 21 should be illegal.
    04-21-10 12:12 AM
    Because people over 21 don't crash into things while driving and talking on the phone? Pretty pretentious. I bet I know a lot of drivers 20 and under that have better driving maneurisms and habits than most 30 year old to 40 year old drivers.
    04-21-10 01:03 AM
    This went into effect in Ontario in October I think. Hasn't really stopped anyone I drive with. It only gives them an excuse to not talk to people they don't want to be on the phone with. "Oh, Mom? I'mdrivinggottagobye!" -click-
    Haha nice!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-21-10 01:38 AM
    I got stopped in Doylestown about a month ago reading an email at a stop light. I didn't get a ticket or anything but he told me they are working on laws regarding data and cell use in that area. He said he can already see issues because my comback was I was at a stop light so i wasn't doing anything while driving. There are alot of loop holes in these laws and unless they cover them all, they will have some fighting on their hands. Its dangerous while driving, but it's one of those things that I don't think will change any time in the near future. As long as there are cell phones used in mass, there will be people using them while driving.
    In Illinois, as of January 1st, 2010, texting is illegal while driving. I believe talking (except for handsfree) is illegal in school zones across the state as well. Only handsfree use is allowed in the city of Chicago for at least a couple years now. I don't know the legalese of the laws or what the loopholes might be. But I'm pretty sure you'd have as much luck wiggling out of a "I was stopped at a stoplight" situation here as you would if you were drinking a beer. "No officer, I wasn't drinking while driving. I was clearly stopped at the time."
    04-21-10 02:07 AM
    Because people over 21 don't crash into things while driving and talking on the phone? Pretty pretentious. I bet I know a lot of drivers 20 and under that have better driving maneurisms and habits than most 30 year old to 40 year old drivers.
    Not around here. A lot of younger drivers get into car accidents here where I live. And a lot of them don't pay attention when they are on their phone.

04-21-10 08:40 PM
    I think law makers in general need to study the issue as well as apply some sense when they are drawing up these laws.

On the one side, their are jerks who indiscriminately use their cell phones to do a myriad of things while driving, and on the other hand, smartphones have helped drivers a lot.

For example, I use googlemaps to aid with navigation. It's not perfect, and that means I sometimes need to zoom in or out to see where the next turn is coming up, or exactly which turn is mine, etc. That normally means one or two keypresses.

Alternatively, I use my phone to stream to the car stereo, and so naturally I have to change music every now and again.

Both of these things are easily a better alternative to what used to be. Trying to read directions off your lap, or heaven help us, use a map while driving was a major distraction. Compared to a quick zoom in when you are coming to complex series of junctions you can see the differance...

As for audio, I swear to god I have nearly died more times than I care to count trying to juggle CDs. At least you can grab the wheel just about with a tape in your hand or just drop it without damaging it, but changing CDs is a pretty complex manoeuvre to do with one hand, especially with those snug CD wallets that never seem to want to release disks without written authorisation.

Anyway, I think I'm a pretty responsible road user, and use my phone to help me do that. Both of the major uses for my phone while driving have cut out a whole lot of dicking around which otherwise would have been necessary. But knee-**** laws could easily make using phones like that illegal, and that'd be a great loss. I think that is probably why the law you mention is so specific about which function ARE illegal, so that if you ARE responsible you won't be getting a ticket.

Edit -

Wait what ? I can say 'dicking around' but not 'knee-****' ? Weird profanity filter IMHO.
    Last edited by EGerhardt; 04-22-10 at 01:42 AM.
    04-22-10 01:40 AM
    I'm a horrible driver when I'm trying to do anything other than just drive.

I'm a great driver when I'm just driving.

04-26-10 10:03 AM
    Not around here. A lot of younger drivers get into car accidents here where I live. And a lot of them don't pay attention when they are on their phone.

Ok, well in the rest of the world, people over 21 also don't pay attention when on their phone and get in car accidents. Even better, a lot of the ones over 21 - you supposed 'better drivers' - are the ones getting in drunken car accidents or getting pulled over in RIDE programs.
    04-26-10 12:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD