I have had a BB for 4 months, and this is 2nd BIS outage I've experienced. Has RIM always been this unreliable? It seems to me that they do not even offer official explanations for what they did wrong. At least Google admitted why gmail has gone down.

Did I make a mistake in purchasing a BB, since RIM is so unreliable? For the costs of the data plans, I feel that I deserve functional email.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-22-09 03:15 PM
    May not be reliability, could just be upgrades. Just because it goes down doesn't mean there's actually an issue at their end. But it would be nice to know when they are planning to do such things.
    09-22-09 03:18 PM
    They shouldn't do "upgrades" in the middle of the afternoon in the US and Canada.

What has their history of outages been like?

09-22-09 03:21 PM
    is this regarding the delay in emails i was having just a little bit ago?
    09-22-09 03:24 PM
    is this regarding the delay in emails i was having just a little bit ago?
    Yes. There was a nationwide BIS outage. 2nd one this month.

I would like to know if these outages happened so frequently in the past or if it is a relatively new problem.

09-22-09 03:30 PM
    In my opinion, its been newer. Even today, my emails are still coming, just a small delay.

I guess I'm not obsessed enough with my email to care; but again, I have never seen outages being frequent around the BB world.
    09-22-09 03:42 PM
    I missed the fact that their was an outage. I first read about it here around 2pm but it didn't affect me that I was aware of if it just affects emails.My text messages and text alerts have been showing up same as usually .

09-22-09 03:53 PM
    Mine are still pushing on normal time right now; cant say I'm experiencing this current "outage" at all. Or at least, I wouldn't consider what today is as an outage.
    09-22-09 03:57 PM
    The thing is you don't need BIS for SMS/MMS. Those are only slow if there are carrier issues.

I got a BB for its supposedly superior email capability. I don't use SMS/MMS that often, and even a dumb phone will do SMS/MMS.

09-22-09 04:01 PM
    I am in the UK and there has been no problems here.

Was this only a problem over the pond?

I do suppose we are on different servers but RIM are doing upgrades in the US & Canada surely they will be doing the same upgrades over here.

09-22-09 04:06 PM

I do suppose we are on different servers but RIM are doing upgrades in the US & Canada surely they will be doing the same upgrades over here.

I hope this was indeed an upgrade, not the sign of some other problems. Twice in the same month seems odd.

I would hope that they know better than to schedule upgrades in the middle of the working day, no matter what country and servers they are upgrading.

09-22-09 04:12 PM
    Yah that's good to know about SMS and MMS not affected thanks , my emails were not delayed either as bewitchedWitch21 mentioned . I like getting emails as well as SMS/MMS to

Last edited by DavidNC; 09-22-09 at 04:16 PM.
    09-22-09 04:13 PM

There were problems here as well a few weeks ago, a full day without emails, facebook, BBM etc.
    Orange gave me the "vandalised optic cable" excuse.

09-22-09 05:09 PM
    we pay enuf for these devices.
    we need the services.
    they need to tell us when these are coming up and why.
    we deserve that much.
    we keep RIM in business.. don't we??
    09-22-09 05:18 PM
    I sincerely doubt this was an upgrade. They announce those ahead of time and schedule them for non-peak periods. Not sure what the cause of the outage was, and I'm not confident we'll get a full explanation. I understand they want business users on BES instead of BIS, but some small businesses just can't justify that. I'm personally weighing my non-BB options at the moment. Seems like this system has too many parts. BIS is just another piece of the puzzle that can break. *shrugs*
    09-22-09 05:20 PM
    I was reading about the outages all day but I actually didn't experience any problems at all. My work email and personal email got to me as usual.
    09-22-09 06:07 PM
    I was reading about the outages all day but I actually didn't experience any problems at all. My work email and personal email got to me as usual.
    Did you experience issues with outages in the past? Historically, have these outages been frequent?
    09-22-09 06:11 PM
    In the year I have owned my BB, there have been about 4 outages (one was planned and announced in advance and one was TMO related), the other 2 were unknown causes as far as I know.

Locally TMO has had about 9 outages that had an effect on text messages and cell calls. The call related outages were short lived, but still when you don't have EDGE at all, that I feel is a much bigger problem than any sort of email outage.

So I'd say it's a pretty good record for the past 12 monts on the RIM side of things.

09-22-09 06:50 PM
    In the year I have owned my BB, there have been about 4 outages (one was planned and announced in advance and one was TMO related), the other 2 were unknown causes as far as I know.

Locally TMO has had about 9 outages that had an effect on text messages and cell calls. The call related outages were short lived, but still when you don't have EDGE at all, that I feel is a much bigger problem than any sort of email outage.

So I'd say it's a pretty good record for the past 12 monts on the RIM side of things.

I've had no AT&T outages in the 4 years they've been my mobile provider.

I purposely got the BB for the e-mail, and I've experienced 2 outages in the 4 months I've had it.

I really do not talk or text much, but I send and receive many e-mails every day.

Hopefully, this is just a glitch this month that will not keep recurring often, since you mentioned that the only other RIM outage you experienced was a maintenance issue that was announced in advance.

I do wish RIM would be forthright in explaining what happened, like Google was re: Gmail outages.
    Last edited by lak611; 09-22-09 at 07:26 PM.
    09-22-09 06:59 PM
    Well now reading more about outage and hearing about how others email is affected,,, I have never been affected like that . So I consider myself lucky so far on that . I have had a delay like 10 minutes in an email before but that's about the max on that .I only had a berry 4 months though.

09-22-09 07:23 PM
    I sincerely doubt this was an upgrade. They announce those ahead of time and schedule them for non-peak periods. Not sure what the cause of the outage was, and I'm not confident we'll get a full explanation. I understand they want business users on BES instead of BIS, but some small businesses just can't justify that. I'm personally weighing my non-BB options at the moment. Seems like this system has too many parts. BIS is just another piece of the puzzle that can break. *shrugs*
    There are outages with Win Month devices too.

09-22-09 07:47 PM
    There are outages with Win Month devices too.

Never said there wasn't. But if there is an outage, it's because the email server is down (in which case the BB would be down as well), or there is a data problem on the network (which would also affect BB's as well). All I'm saying is that the BIS/BES system adds another layer that can break down that other smartphones may not have an equivalent.

09-22-09 08:11 PM
    I concur, forewarning on service updates / upgrades would be helpful if communicated beforehand.
    09-22-09 09:50 PM
    Must be some thing there doing in the states cause Canada is fine we haven't had outages yet *knock on wood*

09-22-09 11:12 PM
    Must be some thing there doing in the states cause Canada is fine we haven't had outages yet *knock on wood*

Who's your carrier? I saw that some folks in Canada experienced the outage today.

09-22-09 11:14 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD