Before I get picked on for starting a thread that's already been talked about a dozen times (yes, I did read through a few of them), I have some questions about BB that are more specific than the usual "What's better: this vs. that".

I've never been a Blackberry user, but have owned 3 different smartphones. My current phone is an iPhone 4. I don't really have any problems with it, I just get bored I guess, and the appeal and novelty of having an iPhone is kind of wearing off.

We just bought a used, older model BB for my husband because he needed a cheap replacement smartphone. His phone is the 8700, and to be honest, after playing around with it a bit, I started considering getting a (newer) blackberry for myself.

It's the usual appeal of BB's that are tempting me: the keyboard, the look, and of course BBM (husband is an international truck driver, so this would be a HUGE relief from long distance texting rates)

I guess where I'm stuck is that I'm not sure how the BB compares to the iPhone. Again, before I get critisized, I've read the specs on different BB's but I guess what I'm missing is the difference in functionality.

I'm not a powerhouse user (I'm a stay at home mom) so the corporate appeal/feel of BB's doesn't really matter to me too much (at the moment anyway), and I'm not one of those people who has 300+ contacts that I communicate with, so I guess I'd be just a basic phone user. The ability to wade through 35,000 apps vs. 425,000 on itunes isn't really a big deal to me: I only use about 4 or 5 on a regular basis, all which are compatible with Blackberry, so that's not what bothers me either.

I guess I'm just on the fence for a few different reasons:

1) The future of RIM worries me. I haven't researched it extensively, but from what I gather they are having a hard time maintaining their appeal in the market in terms of technological advancement. The fact that they are "behind" doesn't bother me - like I said, I'm a basic user that doesn't need all of the bells and whistles - however I'm worried that if I switch now, and they go under in a year or two, that my "new" phone will be no longer supported and I'll just have to switch back to an iphone or droid at some point anyway. Do any of you think there is any truth to this?

2) Is there anything that an iPhone can do that a blackberry can't? (other than play games) (the only thing I can think of that I'd miss is the ability to record video - can the BB do that?)

3) How is web browsing on the BB? Thats one of the major things I do on my iPhone, and I've not yet come across a site that hasn't loaded properly for me. I like the ability to be able to zoom in and out on specific parts of a page. Can the Blackberry do that? Is browsing the internet and going to message boards cumbersome on a BB, or pretty easy to navigate?

4) Is BB desktop manager compatible with Mac's?

5) Is the value of an iPhone the same as let's say a BB Bold 9780 or newer? (not necessarily just by price, but overall value. i.e. would it be stupid of me to trade my iPhone for one of these models?)

6) Are blackberries as user friendly as iPhones? I'm not completely computer stupid, but I also don't have patience to spend large amounts of time figuring out how to customize my phone. I remember trying to change the theme on a friends Blackberry Curve a long time ago and I got frustrated by it all.

It's not that I'm asking you to choose for me - or tell me whether or not I should switch - there's just only so much I can figure out for myself playing with a phone in the store with a sales person breathing down my neck.

Anyway - thanks for reading this far, I didn't think i'd end up making such a long post. Any (helpful) advice would be great!
    Last edited by lisaann756; 08-25-11 at 07:31 PM.
    USArmyWife1982 likes this.
    08-25-11 07:28 PM
    The novelty of having a BlackBerry will wear off too, just a heads-up.

1. Rightful to worry. RIM is doing okay since BBOS7(perhaps just briefly), but soon QNX will be out and your new BlackBerry will - without doubt - be incompatible with it(RIM CEOs have said BB7 is not going to be upgradable).

2. Yes, BlackBerry can record video. It isn't as good as the iPhone 4 but it can. Things the iP4 can do that BB can't: apps & video calling is all that comes to mind right now. They each have their own pros and cons.

3. BlackBerry 7 browser is pretty good, but not quite iPhone. With iOS 5, the iPhone is set to get even better - if you want a web browsing phone, the iPhone is it.

4. Yes, but it sucked in my experience; super laggy and buggy. I may have had a crappy version/phone. Mac/iPhone work together wonderfully in comparison to my experience.

5. iPhones are always valued higher. As far as a 9780 for an iPhone 4, yes, that would be a lose in my opinion.

6. If you're looking for simple yet intuitive and a device that "just works," stick with your iPhone. In my opinion, nothing matches the iPhone when it comes to fluid user interface that is easy and fun to use.
    lisaann756 likes this.
    08-25-11 07:46 PM
    5. iPhones are always valued higher. As far as a 9780 for an iPhone 4, yes, that would be a lose in my opinion.
    That is true because the new BB are out now, but this isn't a crazy to do. Technically yes it is a loss, but if you calculate everybody jumping ship making it fairly easy to sell and the fact that she wants the device should mean it will be worthwhile for her. Of cource if shee feels like she would be losing too much she could always say "For trade: iPhone 4 for BB XXXX + $X.XX to make it more even.

In my opinion though you sound better off with an iPhone. Maybe start off with a cheep used one. Where do you live? In the off chance that you live Victoria B.C. Can. area I might be persuaded to sell you my Curve 8330 although it is verry unlikely that you do.
    08-25-11 10:07 PM
    I use a mac and it's smooth syncing/backing up to desktop manager on it. Not laggy at all.
    08-25-11 10:17 PM
    I'm still trying to figure this one out too. I had an iphone 4 and was just kinda getting bored of it. Never had any issues with it really the apps are awesome to waste time and keep my kids quiet at restaurants but i noticed myself on it wayyyyyyy to much always playing something as well as it becoming a huge toy for my kids.

So i went into the AT&T store to try out the torch 9810 and I'm not sure what to think. On one hand it's a new device which is exciting and having a physical keyboard again is great. On the other hand I'm having app withdraw.

I have 30 days to decide whether I want to keep it or not and figured the 50 bucks was worth doing that.

Ill be keeping an eye on this post to see what others have to say.
    08-26-11 02:50 AM
    BBM is the best think to keep a family organized, not only do you get to chat, send photos, voice notes, location etc but you can start a BBM group just for you two(I have this set up with my wife) where you can also chat, have a shared cloud photo folder where you can ad moments to photos or star them to keep them longer, but also you can have a shared calendar, if you ad a new entry your husband will get it instantly.

With voicenotes inside BBM you can also have a walky talky like conversation: in bbm you press menu select send/send voicenote, you record it and press send. Your husband will receive it and after he listens to it he gets the option to reply, he then records his and sends it, after you listen to it you will also see the option to reply. And so on. All this is using very little data.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-26-11 03:08 AM
    iphone. With iMessage and BB dropping BES/BIS on the qnx phones there is really not a whole lot of reasons to switch to blackberry. i doubt very many app developers will bother to get their apps converted to os7 what with qnx right around the corner. os7 will be a bandaid that will hurt RIM in the long run as 8 months from now...the os7 owners will be hating the lack of apps and development for their devices, while looking at all the cool new stuff on the qnx phones. At least with an iphone4 your phone will be somewhat relevant in a year and have a sizable app catalog.
    08-26-11 08:17 AM
    If you intend to use a BlackBerry, you need to start getting used to battery pulls. In 2012.
    Caymancroc likes this.
    08-26-11 08:49 AM
    If you intend to use a BlackBerry, you need to start getting used to battery pulls. In 2012.
    and despite what all the fanboys say...this will not take less than 10 minutes....in 2011....and if you really really use your device alot...you will do a daily battery pull...minimum....
    Caymancroc likes this.
    08-26-11 08:59 AM
    Wow, some people here really don't want you to give up your iphone lol, ask your husband if he pulls the battery out on his 8700 every day.

Is there any way you could just buy a cheap BB and just use it on prepay and keep your iphone too?

08-26-11 09:14 AM
    and despite what all the fanboys say...this will not take less than 10 minutes....in 2011....and if you really really use your device alot...you will do a daily battery pull...minimum....
    My Wife's got a 9800.
    Now granted, it's a UK-based phone, but the entire time she's had it, she's had NO crashes, hang-ups, sand-timers etc, and NO battery pulls.

And she's now a Blackberry-addict. Coming from an Android phone, she loves it.

I'm coming over from an iPhone (once the UK gets the 9810), and tbh, iPhone 4 isn't all that imho.

It IS a great app device with good multimedia capabilities.
    It IS a rubbish phone and text device.
    It IS locked down so much that unless you Jailbreak it, you'll be part of the iPhone sheep.
    It IS a good camera and video device.
    It IS a good iPod.
    It DOES sync seamlessly with Mac-products and calendars/gmail etc
    It DOES NOT play as nicely as it should with a Windows-based machine.

Personally, I can't wait to get rid of mine (and I've been an Apple-user for the last 20 years, and still have a house that is run by Macs - I love em).

I will be getting a Torch2 and at worst, if I feel the need to have lots of time-wasting apps, I'll get an iPod Touch..... all the benefits of an iPhone in a better device.

Just a bit of a different slant to add to the BB-slating in this thread.
    USArmyWife1982 likes this.
    08-26-11 10:03 AM
    I returned my bb and went back to iPhone. I just found the bbm pointless for me. I'm a sahm so instant email isn't that big of a deal for me. And the important apps i do use on my iPhone were either not available for bb or they sucked.
    08-28-11 06:13 PM
    I returned my bb and went back to iPhone. I just found the bbm pointless for me. I'm a sahm so instant email isn't that big of a deal for me. And the important apps i do use on my iPhone were either not available for bb or they sucked.
    Sounds like this will work out better for you. Remember though, iMessage - a BBM-like messaging system for iPhone - is set to release with iOS 5. Email will also see some big improvements with iOS 5.
    08-28-11 06:33 PM
    I think the way lisaann756 described her situation there's not enough reason to switch to a BB right now, unless the costs for texting your husband are somewhat extensive.

Keep in mind, any Android or iPhone will be obsolote in terms of support in 2 years as well (Q1). OS7 devices make web browsing a better experience than older ones, but unless you get a 3.x" BB (Torch series) you'll hate browsing if that is a big thing you do with your phone (Q3). Yes, you can sync/use DM with a Mac, but don't expect it as fluent as on a Windows PC (Q4). Right now trading your phone for a 9780 would be a bad trade. I bet if I asked around among my friends/colleagues I'd find ppl willing to add like 200� on top of the Bold 9780 to get an iPhone 4 (Q5). IOS is the easiest to use OS out atm in my opinion, while you'll have no trouble getting used to BBOS7 quickly, it's not as userfriendly (Q6).

TLDR; In your situation I'd stay with the iPhone.
    You missed that her husband already has a blackberry, BBM will be so good for them, share photos of the kids for free, short videos, voice notes, have a shared calendar etc etc

How many apps will they have to use to make that work for them cross platform where BBM can do it all easy and for free while using very little data.
    08-29-11 03:33 AM
    "unless the costs for texting your husband are somewhat extensive."

I mentioned BBM, but didn't give it much further thought as iOS5 is around the corner and features iMessage. She got an iPhone 4, which will definitly get the update.
    Yes, IOS5 and iMessage is coming to iphone4 but how is that gonna help her stay in touch and stay organized with her husband's cheap BlackBerry? Wouldn't her husband have to buy an iphone4 or 5 too?

08-29-11 05:07 AM
    Lol, now that you say it. I totally missed that. For w/e reason I thought her husband got an iPhone. My bad.
    Lol, no, I believe he has an old 8700.

08-29-11 05:50 AM
    thanks for all of your input

belfast: yes my husband has an old 8700.

I decided to keep my iphone and just bought a cheap used Curve 8520 to see how I like blackberry and its capabilities. I only got the phone tonight, so I have alot of learning to do, but so far, it's not too bad

at least i can switch between phones now if I wanted to for whatever reason.

Thanks again!
    09-03-11 12:34 AM
    thanks for all of your input

belfast: yes my husband has an old 8700.

I decided to keep my iphone and just bought a cheap used Curve 8520 to see how I like blackberry and its capabilities. I only got the phone tonight, so I have alot of learning to do, but so far, it's not too bad

at least i can switch between phones now if I wanted to for whatever reason.

Thanks again!
    Lol, that's the best way to do it right now, just don't judge blackberry by the 9520, it is cheap and nasty lol.
    Is there no payg sim cards for blackberry where you live? You could just keep it for bbm.

09-03-11 04:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD