To:

-BBM Now does basically everything WhatsApp does

-You don't have to give someone your phone number to chat, but rather a BBM pin, which means they can't have your num unless you give it to them

-Nostalgia

Not to:

-Come on...who has BBM these days, they probably don't even know it exists for iOS and Android

-With WhatsApp you can see the person's last connection time, or if online
    09-26-17 02:39 AM
    BBM still does not do everything WhatsApp does.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-17 04:38 AM
    doesnt matter how good something is if no one you know is using it unfortunately
    09-26-17 08:03 AM
    WhatsApp has end to end encryption.
    09-26-17 08:11 AM
    Who has Bbm broadcasting issues? After the latest Bbm update, the select all for contact feature has disappeared
    09-26-17 08:57 AM
    Bbm is much better than WhatsApp

Posted via CB10
    09-26-17 09:28 AM
    Oh I forgot to add this to the "Not to":

BBM seems to hog alot more battery than WhatsApp, at least on my KEYone
    09-26-17 09:55 AM
    Use if your Indonesian. Don't use if your an Indonesian who quit BBM and moved onto WhatsApp.
    09-26-17 11:02 PM
    I had a plan offered from a network provider to include unlimited BBM on a BB10 device. Was fairly cheap.
    If you have a BB with a PIN. Or are in an organization with BBM Enterprise.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-17 01:32 AM
    WhatsApp has end to end encryption.
    Blackberry devices have that no? Hubs PIN messages. Cant attach anything though.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-17 01:34 AM
    For me it's rather simple: everybody here uses whatsapp and nobody BBM. I don't have the time (or the incentive) to convince people to move to other apps.

And even the people that don't use whatsapp, they use facebook messenger. Between those 2 apps, I reach over 95% of my contact list.
    09-27-17 01:44 AM
    To:

-BBM Now does basically everything WhatsApp does

-You don't have to give someone your phone number to chat, but rather a BBM pin, which means they can't have your num unless you give it to them

-Nostalgia

Not to:

-Come on...who has BBM these days, they probably don't even know it exists for iOS and Android

-With WhatsApp you can see the person's last connection time, or if online
    You can send text and have built in p2p encryption on whatsapp
    BBM only has p2p if you pay for it
    09-27-17 05:56 AM
    Reasons TO USE BBM:
    Glympse tracking
    Sent message editing
    Message retracting
    Private messaging
    Timed messages
    HD pic attaching
    Ping alerting
    Can see when others are busy writing
    Can see other person's status
    Can see what music each other are listening to, in real time, if permission given ( fun!)
    Huge variety of cool stickers
    ( plus other features, like message read confirmation, that Whatsapp finally has years after BBM did)
    Finally, I am not supporting Zuckerberg- Facebook monopoly

Reasons to NOT use: no contacts using BBM ( I am lucky as I have a bunch-- others I just text)

BB, Still the One
    Last edited by TCB on Z10; 09-29-17 at 12:32 PM.
    09-27-17 01:28 PM
    Blackberry devices have that no?
    Standard BBM is "scrambled" with a known key that is the same on every device. It's enough to stop casual eavesdropping, but you can safely assume that every carrier and government can read your messages (among others).

You don't get end-to-end encryption without BES or subscribing to BBM Protected.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-27-17 01:59 PM
    I'd happily use BBM if other people would get on board with it. I remember when it launched cross platform. I got several people I know to use it. Unfortunately it was so bad it led to "This is why I hated BlackBerry" comments and people deleted it. I'm not about to try and get anyone to use it again.

Oh yeah, and WhatsApp works really well with a ton of great features so people see no need to use anything different.
    09-28-17 05:38 AM
    I'd happily use BBM if other people would get on board with it. I remember when it launched cross platform. I got several people I know to use it. Unfortunately it was so bad it led to "This is why I hated BlackBerry" comments and people deleted it. I'm not about to try and get anyone to use it again.

Oh yeah, and WhatsApp works really well with a ton of great features so people see no need to use anything different.
    The only "need" I see with BBM over WhatsApp is that you don't need to hand over your phone number to chat with someone

A pin is less personal than a num
    09-28-17 06:22 AM
    The only "need" I see with BBM over WhatsApp is that you don't need to hand over your phone number to chat with someone

A pin is less personal than a num
    You can always add them by nickname or email like every other service
    Much easier then a hard to remember random set of numbers or characters and mute point when you can block and not accept contacts or have much easier methods of adding people hence why other messengers are FAR ahead of blackberry in subscribers and capabilities

BBM was good on mobile while we were limited to 2g
    Nowadays you have far more capabilites
    And more.bandwidth then when BBM first launched
    TCB on Z10 likes this.
    09-28-17 08:36 AM
    With WhatsApp you can see the person's last connection time, or if online
    With BBM, you see their availability status and can even see what music each other are listening to, in real time, should the toggle be set to give permission.

BB, Still the One
    09-28-17 04:49 PM
    BBM...PIN protects privacy, and BlackBerry doesn't monetize your network of BBM contacts.

WhatsApp...Facebook associates your phone number and those of your contacts to increase the effectiveness of its marketing services, monetizing your social connections.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    09-28-17 05:00 PM
    BBM...PIN protects privacy, and BlackBerry doesn't monetize your network of BBM contacts.

WhatsApp...Facebook associates your phone number and those of your contacts to increase the effectiveness of its marketing services, monetizing your social connections.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    Pretty sure BBM does this also but for less then useful reasons
    Like stickers or sparks to certain channels
    09-28-17 10:10 PM
    I'd use bbm If I didn't get the constant server error on my classic. I haven't been able to sign back into my account on my bb10 device since the update a couple months back. And even on my android device I can sign in but I have no contacts. All of my old contacts have been wiped. BBM support hasn't been able to help either.

Posted with my good ol reliable classic
    09-28-17 11:15 PM
    I have over 2K contacts and only one person uses BBM with me. I have over 500 on Whatsapp. I would rather use BBM but the market has decided. Nothing I/we can do.
    09-29-17 06:15 AM
    If WhatsApp suddenly decided to make its users pay for it (either one time fee, or monthly) would that be enough of an incentive to move the masses back to BBM?
    09-29-17 06:42 AM
    If WhatsApp suddenly decided to make its users pay for it (either one time fee, or monthly) would that be enough of an incentive to move the masses back to BBM?
    It used to make them pay $0.99, people still didn't prefer BBM.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-17 06:58 AM
    Nothing would matter. BBM was first, and is still better, but Zuckerberg rules with Whatsapp just like he does with Facebook.

BB, Still the One
    09-29-17 11:24 AM
36 12