So I got surprised that BlackBerry 10 sales weren't very good and I know that reason why all people who see me with my z say oh BlackBerry because of what BlackBerry was in the past and they don't understand BlackBerry now and that it is like a brand new company and everything in BlackBerry 10 is new so they think they are like the old BlackBerry so I think like a lot of people BlackBerry have to advertise like mad

Posted via CB10
    07-01-13 06:02 PM
    Breathe and use punctuation's my friend.

That's a lot to take in for just one sentence.

Posted via CB10
    southlander likes this.
    07-01-13 06:15 PM
    So, if I'm reading this correctly, and please correct/add on as needed, but my summation of your post is: Insufficient marketing, yeah?

I would tend to agree, also lackluster minimalist marketing too. If they could make commercials like the bike one, but actually somehow make it show how the darn phone works, it'd be neat. The bikes were cool, but showed nothing about the phone or company.
    07-01-13 06:16 PM
    If I had to guess, I'd say the OP is not a native English speaker so lighten up on the grammar patrol stuff. This is a global community.

Anyway, I think OP makes a great point. BlackBerry has not told the story. That's all marketing is: Telling a great story to the right people, a story that connects their needs and wants with your product or service.

Posted via CB10
    07-01-13 06:20 PM
    Not exactly an original post. Flash back over the last 3 years and you'll see about a 1000 of them.
    07-01-13 06:25 PM
    Marketing Marketing Marketing.

I worked for L'Oreal in late 80's and a recession came and they made a huge cut in advertising. Sales went down even more and they never made that mistake again, no matter what the economy is doing you'll see their ads. Keeping in people's faces with luxury goods, which us what these phones are is what keeps the sales going.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by djenkins6; 07-01-13 at 06:47 PM.
    JeepBB likes this.
    07-01-13 06:31 PM
    Breathe and use punctuation's my friend.

That's a lot to take in for just one sentence.

Posted via CB10
    Lol

Posted via CB10
    07-01-13 06:44 PM
    So I got surprised that BlackBerry 10 sales weren't very good and I know that reason why all people who see me with my z say oh BlackBerry because of what BlackBerry was in the past and they don't understand BlackBerry now and that it is like a brand new company and everything in BlackBerry 10 is new so they think they are like the old BlackBerry so I think like a lot of people BlackBerry have to advertise like mad

Posted via CB10
    Another reason is the BlackBerry displays being pushed towards the back in retail stores. Answer to this problem is better marketing.

Posted via CB10
    07-01-13 06:48 PM
    I think that partly has to do with it, but it also has to do with the fact that people are so vested in other platforms. I know my wife would never switch to blackberry because she is too vested in the Apple App Store. We also have a lot of Macs in the house and for her it would be too much trouble to have to try and sync the Z10 with iTunes and she would never go through the hassle of side loading an app. She could also care less about expandable storage as she has a 64GB iphone which is more than enough storage for her for games, apps, photos, and Movies. She also doesnt care about removable batteries as her iphone will last all day.

I think people forget that with the iphone if you have a mac that there is a major advantage for Apple. Their phones really do sync well with itunes, iphoto, imovie, etc. we have Blackberry link and its complete trash.

I think that BB is way late in the game and possibly too late to really gain any traction in the market beyond a niche player.
    richardat and kevinnugent like this.
    07-01-13 06:55 PM
    Agreed!

I have the phone, tablet and laptop made by the fruit company (their name will not be said here ). It's incredibly perfect. Yes, more features will make it better, but for now, everything that is on my phone, is on my tablet, which is on my laptop. Never miss anything!

Back to marketing,

The stores are a great idea, people shop. I don't watch a lot of television, I don't browse that much internet and I avoid radio. So for me, if you want my attention, you're going to have to catch it via my eyesight while I'm bopping around downtown Calgary.

So, that leaves marketing boards, which I see on the buses ect. But if they had a shop in downtown Calgary. Omg! I'm not a businessman in that regard, but all my work associates or bosses have legacy devices. If they had a store to walk past while we're going for lunch, man they'd be in there in a shot spending thier dollar and upgrading. You see THEY HAVE A STORE TO GO TO!!!

We are so busy we don't have time to phone customer service for help. I work 15 hrs a day when I'm busy, I spend one hour on lunch the rest with my wife n kids.

That lunch hour could be spent troubleshooting the issues of me upgrading. You know, a personal real life tech support in front of you. No stupid phone calls, no time waisted. Simples!

So yea blackberry, please put a store in calgary.

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    07-01-13 07:14 PM
    A lot of people were also surprised the Zune didn't do very well too.
    07-02-13 02:26 AM
    The Q10 hasn't even been out in the U.S. for a month...and it's still rolling out to places where BlackBerry is strong. It's only been out for a whole in a few places.

But the OP has a point, people leave BlackBerry because their sh1tty old OS5 or OS6 BlackBerry is slow and old feeling, so that's the impression they have of BlackBerry.

Not even my 9900 and 9810 were bad devices. They never had that spinning clock or bad battery life. They were the high end models at the time...not that less expensive BlackBerrys should have a worse experience, but if you load up an older device with apps and music and pictures...the device is bound to slow down and be aggravating to use.

It's been said before, but people would feel differently about BlackBerry if they gave BlackBerry 10 a chance.

One coworker of mine hates technology and uses an old flip phone. He sorta jokingly commented about how my Q10 looks like my "old phone" (my 9900) and said they're like the same. My other coworker, a diehard iPhone user who has had every iPhone since it came out said, "no way. Sean's new BlackBerrys are totally different, they actually have a really cool new operating system."

Perception can be changed if people are shown these devices.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-13 03:37 AM