After installing the Blackberry desktop manager for my beloved Storm, my laptop now takes forever to boot up. Any help would be greatly appreciated by this newbie. I have lots of space on the computer, so that is not an issue.
    12-02-08 01:48 AM
    Welcome to CB.com

I would do a restore and try installing the DM again. Where are you installing from? The CD or online?

12-02-08 02:08 AM
    nah nah nah...don't restore...

did you do a disk clean up prior to installing? did you have anti-virus running during installation...what is your processor speed and amount of RAM? also...try uninstalling using a free program called "revo uninstaller" and re-install from the RIM site...make sure to restart after you uninstall/reinstall...
    12-02-08 02:31 AM
    I suspect the culprit is Roxio Media Manager at startup.

There are several version of BlackBerry Desktop Manager, some contain the Roxio Media Manager package.

During the installation, you have the option to run at start-up. If Roxio is allowed to run, it will begin searching for media files. The process is poorly implemented, consuming nearly 100% of Computer use, resulting in massive degradation to performance.

I can live with Roxio if I do not run it at startup. Try doing a Repair install and disabling that feature.
    12-02-08 10:40 AM
    if it is already set for start up...you can use the "tools" tab in the revo uninstaller program to turn off the auto start...
    12-02-08 05:33 PM
    When I got my Bold, I had the same problem. I'm running XP and have found going into "msconfig" and fiddling with both Services and Startup got around this slowdown.

In the Services tab, I found the following were checked:

- Roxio UPnP Renderer 9
    - Roxio UPnP Server 9
    - LiveShare P2P Server 9
    - RoxMediaDB9
    - Roxio Hard Drive Watcher 9

I'm not sure if others have had the same issue, but I deselected all but RoxMediaDB9 (so the rest of them don't have a green checkmark).

Under the Startup tab, I saw RoxWatchTray9 was checked. I deselected it, so there's no more check mark beside it.

I'm not sure if it works for you, but definitely give it a shot.
    12-02-08 06:17 PM
    Wow, same symptoms here after installing Desk Manager with Roxio Media, it takes forever for my PC to to boot up and have a Desktop finally show up on the screen in the morning, like 5 or 6 minutes.

Thanks for the tips, I'll give that a try. This is the whole reason I only install one new type of software at a time, makes it easier to isolate the changes and problems.
    Last edited by buttnugget; 12-02-08 at 06:36 PM.
    12-02-08 06:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD