I've just noticed, when you go to advanced settings/sim card when you press menu an option to edit sim card phone number appears. Is this possible?
    Had a brief go and then quickly changed it back afraid of messing something up. Soon after that I got two emails from orange saying this: "Your handheld has been registered with the wireless network"

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-30-09 02:46 AM
    I think this one is for the blackberry gurus out there
    Might have a play with it this weekend, it's the work phone and I don't really want to mess with it to much

10-30-09 06:13 AM
    I just recently bought a Bold and carried my old number across from my old Network and when I first went into Advanced Option/SIM Card the Phone Number was blank so I added my mobile number and it now appears on the right side of the screen when I make a call headed under 'My Number'. Previous to the change nothing would appear on the right side of the screen when making a call.

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think putting a different number in would do any damage.
    10-30-09 06:34 AM
    I don't get any work calls at the weekend so I'll have a go. How cool would it be if you could change your phone number just like that
    It's the fact that it's registering with the network makes me think that there might be more then just making your number show on the screen.

10-30-09 06:39 AM
    Found a link but can't post it as I don't have permission to do so until I make ten posts on the forums, kinda silly if you ask me....but anyway, it mentions that in order to allow Blackberry Mail to retrieve information you must register the device. Changing the number must have prompted something to register the device and I think that would explain the emails??
    10-30-09 06:57 AM
    Isn't it great when you go to a phone shop and you get somebody who really knows their stuff?
    I went to a vodafone shop to check out the new storm and I asked the question to this really clued up guy(possibly the manager?) And after a few seconds where you could see he was really buying his time to give me the right answer, he told me this.
    if you change your no from that option but it will be flagged up on the network as an unregistered number ringing alarm bells, and there's a good chance somebody will be knocking at your door tonight. It turns out this would mess up with the data protection laws and they are very sensitive about that at the moment in this current climate(terror thinghy)
    So basically leave it alone

10-30-09 09:26 AM
    It is .. I put in a random # then called it- went straight to voicemail..

10-30-09 11:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD