They will put together a had for Z3 and Q20 launch... hoping that it's done correctly... they should also do a general had for BES12 and BB10 devices as a whole.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    I would hope so. I've never seen any ad outside of the awful Super Bowl ad or the even worse magic carpet ad. To this day I've never seen one ad for the Z30. Granted I live in the US but Verizon carries it. You'd think that BB would think about maybe doing a tiny little ad for their flagship phone.
    03-27-14 09:14 AM
    So then I guess one can argue (as the article seems to) that it will be hard for BlackBerry to win anyone back since both the Apple and Samsung users are so loyal. And yet at one time when everyone who was anyone haaaaad to have a BlackBerry, they were leaving others for BB.

So if BlackBerry comes up with something truly compelling they can win folks back to some degree I believe.

The problem is no one can really state what it would be that would be compelling AND be a BlackBerry only feature/design, etc.
    What many describe as loyalty is really just a combination of inertia (resulting from being generally satisfied) and the absence (or perceived absence) of compelling alternatives. In other words, people that are generally satisfied with what they have will tend to stay put, especially if there either aren't compelling alternatives or they simply aren't aware of compelling alternatives.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    03-27-14 09:42 AM
    What many describe as loyalty is really just a combination of inertia (resulting from being generally satisfied) and the absence (or perceived absence) of compelling alternatives. In other words, people that are generally satisfied with what they have will tend to stay put, especially if there either aren't compelling alternatives or they simply aren't aware of compelling alternatives.
    Except when BBRY folks do it, is admirable "loyalty," but when folks on other platforms do it, it's being lazy LOL.
    03-27-14 10:10 AM
    Very true. Most of the new BlackBerries sold this year were BBOS models.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    03-27-14 10:24 AM
    Is the online version that you can buy compatible with Sprint?
    No, it isn't, but even if it was, Sprint is a CDMA carriers, and CDMA carriers will only activate devices that they carry or have carried themselves. It's not like GSM where you can bring any unlocked phone. Verizon is exactly the same in this regard: if they didn't sell it, you can't use it on their network.
    03-27-14 11:19 AM
    Wasn't the rapidly sinking marketshare a clue? So I fail to see how it's a dose of reality for anyone that's paid any attention at all.

So then I guess one can argue (as the article seems to) that it will be hard for BlackBerry to win anyone back since both the Apple and Samsung users are so loyal. And yet at one time when everyone who was anyone haaaaad to have a BlackBerry, they were leaving others for BB.

So if BlackBerry comes up with something truly compelling they can win folks back to some degree I believe.

The problem is no one can really state what it would be that would be compelling AND be a BlackBerry only feature/design, etc.
    Except... carrier relations have fallen off a cliff with many ceasing to stop BBRY products or pinning their hopes on WP - so even if they make something truely compelling - who would see it?
    TgeekB likes this.
    03-27-14 11:22 AM
    No, it isn't, but even if it was, Sprint is a CDMA carriers, and CDMA carriers will only activate devices that they carry or have carried themselves. It's not like GSM where you can bring any unlocked phone. Verizon is exactly the same in this regard: if they didn't sell it, you can't use it on their network.
    Well that... really sucks... lol

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    03-27-14 12:07 PM
    LTE has changed this "somewhat", but the device must be compatible with the networks, and able to receive programming. Still VERY limited.
    03-27-14 12:11 PM
    I'm sorry, but no matter what, I am probably sticking to blackberry. I like the os and I like to think of it as a modified version of android plus a qwerty keyboard. Best of both worlds.

Q10
    03-27-14 12:16 PM
    Full article link: Samsung Smartphone Users Are Nearly As Loyal As iPhone Users - Business Insider
    "iPhone users are notably devoted to Apple, with few making the switch to other handset-makers when they upgrade. But now Samsung users are catching up in terms of brand loyalty.
    Roughly three out of four existing iPhone users in the U.S., U.K, and Australia who upgraded last year chose to upgrade to another iPhone, according to new survey results from�WDS, compiled by BI Intelligence.�
    But Samsung users aren't far off.
    About 58% of Samsung users who upgraded chose a new Samsung device in 2013.�
    Little surprise, BlackBerry users were the most disloyal. Roughly four out of every five BlackBerry owners who upgraded, chose to upgrade to a different brand when picking a new handset.�....."

Hope that Mr Chen could right the sinking ship. What do you guys think?

Posted via CB10
    If Apple would have made a cheap phone and a larger phone the return rate would even be higher. Why ? ecosystem, quality of phones, camera and ease of use.

Still it does show that BB could market their Z phones to android users wanting something different .

My daughter recently had to give up her company BlackBerry 9900. She bought an iphone - why? she owns a MacbookPro and an Ipad. She associates BlackBerry with work and not having apps. BlackBerry was not even a consideration.

Ultimately BlackBerry phones are for business users or for folks who want to be different.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 03-27-14 at 01:08 PM.
    milo53 and bbq10l like this.
    03-27-14 12:20 PM
    LOL, Dave, you know that comment cuts both ways, right?

I think the point is that people probably won't make changes unless there is something compelling enough to make them change. It also goes to show that timing is everything. BB10 is a great platform, but is struggling with attracting people that may be more-or-less happy with their mobile device decisions.

IMHO, of course.
    This is such a simple concept but difficult for some to accept.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    03-27-14 02:46 PM
    Except... carrier relations have fallen off a cliff with many ceasing to stop BBRY products or pinning their hopes on WP - so even if they make something truely compelling - who would see it?
    This is an important point, which makes things even more devastating. Once a brand or product ignores customers to the point that they leave in droves, no matter how good that product becomes, it is tough to get them back. It will take something very innovative to turn this around.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    03-27-14 02:50 PM
    Exactly my point. Specs are only for tech nerds. People only care if their phone is sluggish or not. BB performs better than than some phones with better specs and crappier software.
    3 bottles of chilled beer for you!!!

Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.2234 "The iPhone Nemesis"
    03-27-14 02:57 PM
    I've said this probably a dozen times in regards to 'conquering' market share. Most people will not choose change as their first option, they will put up with inconveniences of their current ways up until the emotional/physical/economical cost of those inconveniences are greater than the perceived 'costs' of switching to and learning a new way. This is seen in all sorts of human situations including bad marriages, bad living arrangements, bad government, etc. People put up with really crappy situations for a very long time... until they snap.

BlackBerry users stuck with their slow, under-powered, battery-pull needing, app-lacking BBOS devices for a very long time (in tech years), until the inconvenience became greater than the cost and pain of switching to iOS/Android. People left BlackBerry because BlackBerry f***d up so badly that they made it easier for them to switch than to stick around.

Until Apple and/or Samsung really drop the ball... what makes anyone think things will change?
    03-27-14 03:05 PM
    What about someone like me...and there are many of us out there who bought multiple devices: Z10, Q10, and Z30? How did we count?
    Reality dose for us BlackBerry users. Article from Business Insider-img_20140327_165106.jpg

Posted with my BlackBerry Q10 on VZW from Philly
    03-27-14 03:54 PM
    My girlfriend told me the other day a friend of hers posted on Facebook that she finally got rid of her old BlackBerry and got a galaxy , what a difference should have done it sooner. Lots of people were congratulating her and how glad they were when they got rid of their BlackBerry's. Vary few people know about bb10 and just think it's the current version of the old os.

Posted via CB10
    milo53 likes this.
    03-27-14 04:08 PM
    My girlfriend told me the other day a friend of hers posted on Facebook that she finally got rid of her old BlackBerry and got a galaxy , what a difference should have done it sooner. Lots of people were congratulating her and how glad they were when they got rid of their BlackBerry's. Vary few people know about bb10 and just think it's the current version of the old os.

Posted via CB10
    This is a stigma blackberry themselves should have fought against but they never did. Now look at the state of the company and its market share.

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    03-27-14 04:29 PM
    If Apple would have made a cheap phone and a larger phone the return rate would even be higher. Why ? ecosystem, quality of phones, camera and ease of use.

Still it does show that BB could market their Z phones to android users wanting something different .

My daughter recently had to give up her company BlackBerry 9900. She bought an iphone - why? she owns a MacbookPro and an Ipad. She associates BlackBerry with work and not having apps. BlackBerry was not even a consideration.

Ultimately BlackBerry phones are for business users or for folks who want to be different.
    You are right, and not all of the business users buy Blackberry, as for the people that what to be diferent they have a lot of alternatives : Windows Phone, obscure Androids like Oppo etc
    03-27-14 04:35 PM
    I've said this probably a dozen times in regards to 'conquering' market share. Most people will not choose change as their first option, they will put up with inconveniences of their current ways up until the emotional/physical/economical cost of those inconveniences are greater than the perceived 'costs' of switching to and learning a new way. This is seen in all sorts of human situations including bad marriages, bad living arrangements, bad government, etc. People put up with really crappy situations for a very long time... until they snap.

BlackBerry users stuck with their slow, under-powered, battery-pull needing, app-lacking BBOS devices for a very long time (in tech years), until the inconvenience became greater than the cost and pain of switching to iOS/Android. People left BlackBerry because BlackBerry f***d up so badly that they made it easier for them to switch than to stick around.

Until Apple and/or Samsung really drop the ball... what makes anyone think things will change?
    Exactly. Could not agree more. That is what happened to people within my circle of family and friends who owned BlackBerry previously. None switched to new BB 10 when available, not mentioning that they don't even know new devices with new OS even exist. Sigh

Posted via CB10
    03-27-14 04:43 PM
    Funny , I had to do a battery pull today. After 2.5 years I need a new phone. The browser is lagging . Still I might buy a cheap Z10.

03-27-14 08:03 PM
    Chen never talks about marketing advertising or commercials.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-14 09:46 PM
    Funny , I had to do a battery pull today. After 2.5 years I need a new phone. The browser is lagging . Still I might buy a cheap Z10.

If you get a Z10 be sure to also get a battery combo pack.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    03-27-14 09:49 PM
    Full article link: Samsung Smartphone Users Are Nearly As Loyal As iPhone Users - Business Insider
    "iPhone users are notably devoted to Apple, with few making the switch to other handset-makers when they upgrade. But now Samsung users are catching up in terms of brand loyalty.
    Roughly three out of four existing iPhone users in the U.S., U.K, and Australia who upgraded last year chose to upgrade to another iPhone, according to new survey results from�WDS, compiled by BI Intelligence.�
    But Samsung users aren't far off.
    About 58% of Samsung users who upgraded chose a new Samsung device in 2013.�
    Little surprise, BlackBerry users were the most disloyal. Roughly four out of every five BlackBerry owners who upgraded, chose to upgrade to a different brand when picking a new handset.�....."

Hope that Mr Chen could right the sinking ship. What do you guys think?

Posted via CB10
    sad..disloyalty is so appalling. i hope things really start to pick up and improve for Blackberry

Sent from my BlackBerry 9350
    03-27-14 09:50 PM
    Imo, they won't win back any customers with a cheap z3, or a overpriced q20. If you really think about, even if they advertise the site out of it.

Posted via CB10
    What you said is totally flawed. First, the Z3 is built for the Emerging Markets; Indonesia being the first place where it would launch. Do you think Foxconn will take on this task if they thought the odds of succeeding will be very little? And what's your definition of "cheap"? The Z3 is priced appropriately for the targeted market.
    Second, are you privy to some insider information that the Q20 will be overpriced?
    03-27-14 09:55 PM
    While that is true the stats are rather old. Most poeple who hold a Samsung or iPhone device and are in the position to upgrade are mainly business savvy where BlackBerry has lost considerable. The other bunch of upgrades comes from people who Apple fanatics - those who save their last penny to buy anything Apple. Not many people buy Samsung devices since their spec are relatively the same. And those who do get Samsung are obviously moving from either iPhone or Blackberry.

Here in Australia, there are still quite a bit of people who use BlackBerry while there are large use in corporate environment. Blackberry can come back and regain a strong stance in the market but would need to produce pretty much like Samsung does. Samsung works on trials - if it works then it will be mass produced. But if BB could invest in store-fronts it would make a hell of a difference.
    03-27-14 10:21 PM
127 1234 ...