But Apple is going after Samsung for the way their tablet looks. They're not going after the Samsung phones, they're going after a piece of technology that has rounded corners, a glass display, with black on the front, etc.

Then they went after Motorola. Now they're going after HTC.
    12-31-11 12:53 AM
    But Apple is going after Samsung for the way their tablet looks. They're not going after the Samsung phones, they're going after a piece of technology that has rounded corners, a glass display, with black on the front, etc.

Not sure if it was an accident, but this all makes for further validation of RIM's decision to go with the 7" form for the PlayBook.
    Last edited by 18to7fiddy; 12-31-11 at 01:33 AM.
    12-31-11 01:26 AM

You're wrong:

Judge Bans Samsung Galaxy S, S II and Ace Sales in the Netherlands - Softpedia

Just move along.

The first patent suits filed against apple came before the Galaxy Tab 10.1 was even released. It was because of the Galaxy S series phones and precicely because Samsung goes out of the way to make their phone design (in the cast of the T-Mobile Vibrant) and User Interface (TouchWiz 3.0 and 4.0) look as much like an iPhone (3GS in that case) and iOS as possible.

ANd about the rounded corners glass whatever. Are you really that dense? The Galaxy S phones arent covered in glass. The issue is that Samsung blatantly copied the iphone, even down to the software and certain innovations therein (like Coverflow).

This is a T-Mobile Vibrant:

This is an iPhone 3GS:

A blind person can feel the resemblance. You should be able to see it.

In case you were wondering, companies hate this because it results in situations like these... Yes, it matters THAT MUCH to them:
    http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=35130
    Last edited by N8ter; 12-31-11 at 03:03 AM.
    12-31-11 02:54 AM
    I wish Android and RIM would merge in some sort of weird way enough that they could sue Apple for a bunch of patent infringements and cost them a ton of money or get their products banned. I'm so sick of Apple.
    Thats ignorant and stupid... its because of Apple and there innovation why we the consumer are able to have these powerful smartphones today. They played a very big part in beginning the war we have today between the four major players...
    12-31-11 02:59 AM
    I realize that they aren't going anywhere. That's not my point. I don't see any reason why not to have them banned when they have gotten other companies banned. HTC may very well be banned in mid-2012 from selling products in the U.S. They got Samsung banned for quite a bit of time in a few countries. They did this by blantantly altering concept drawings given to a judge. They are not about more competition; they are about crushing the competition so that there isn't competition.

In case you think I'm kidding, here's how Apple suggests phones and tablets be built
    Apple to Samsung: Don't Make Thin or Rectangular Tablets or Smartphones | PCWorld
    I know what your saying. And I know what Apple is doing. I never said I agreed, but they have to do everything they can to protect their patents or other intellectual property. Apple feels they have "created that design" so they will fight for it. They have the cash to do so and will continue to do it.

All I am saying is that getting rid of Apple will be no good as well. I don't want any of them to disappear. I like the extra competition. I don't agree with what Apple is doing and I wouldn't agree if someone else was doing it as well.
    12-31-11 10:01 AM
    My tmobile vibrant is the splitting image of an iPhone 3GS and Samsung even went as far as to duplicate user controls in apps like the browser. The memo app was made to replicate ios. They put cover flow in the media player and thought they'd get away with it. In the froyo update they made the browser tab switching look exactly like safari mobile.

Samsung has always shamelessly copied apple. It's no secret and it's no surprise Apple went after them. they didn't used to be shy about it either.

The touch wiz launcher looks like iOS an the default app list is also set up to replicate the iOS home screen style. they added double tap home button for voice control, similar to ios home long press when any other android phone allow you to do this by long pressing the search key.

Seriously, that's not hurting the consumer lol. Those Korean companies are known for copying. Lg has a launcher that looks like iOS as well, but Samsung went to great lengths to make their devices function like iPhones. They took it way too far, and it right that apple should go after them. Galaxy S phones were the poor mans iPhones. Everyone knew that. It's part of the reason I got the Vibrant, being on Tmobile.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Even Samsung wall chargers take design cues from Apple...

Samsung sure does make some awesome hardware though.

Last edited by avt123; 12-31-11 at 10:15 AM.
    12-31-11 10:10 AM
    To be honest I'm half on the fence. Samsung had 5+ galaxy s variant. The tmobile vibrant was the most obvious offender. I'm wondering if tmobile made samsung make it look so much like the 3GS in an attempt to compete with the AT&T iPhone (Verizon didn't have one yet an the i4 wasn't out yet).

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

That is definitely possible. But it's still a rip-off.
    12-31-11 10:11 AM
    Samsung adds more fuel to the fire. Their tablet commercial. They even use the same actor Apple used lol.

http://www.tipb.com/2011/12/31/samsu...rl-commercial/

Here is an iPad 2 commercial.

In both videos there is a little kid under the covers playing with their tablet. The Samsung one includes the father. Even the use of dinosaurs (just like the little kid in the ipad commercial). Why so similar?
    Last edited by avt123; 12-31-11 at 10:44 AM.
    12-31-11 10:41 AM
    You're wrong:

Just move along.

ANd about the rounded corners glass whatever. Are you really that dense? The Galaxy S phones arent covered in glass. The issue is that Samsung blatantly copied the iphone, even down to the software and certain innovations therein (like Coverflow).

A blind person can feel the resemblance. You should be able to see it.
    Is it really necessary to talk down to someone when you're proving a point? I'd appreciate a bit more respect next time you respond to me or please don't respond. You can say I'm wrong without having to say "move along" And "are you really that dense".

I have a galaxy S in my hand right now and I'm looking at a picture of an iPhone. I wouldn't get them confused at all except from a distance I see a black slab of a rectangular device.

I'm sorry for not using specificity. I didn't mean a glass front like glass you have for car windows. Look at the link I posted earlier and it's Apple's response on what to not use when making tablets.
    12-31-11 11:44 AM
    Thats ignorant and stupid... its because of Apple and there innovation why we the consumer are able to have these powerful smartphones today. They played a very big part in beginning the war we have today between the four major players...
    Do you really think that if we didn't have Apple come along we'd all still have cell phones that look like they did in the 80s?
    12-31-11 11:47 AM
    Are Google apps on Apple phones crappy like on the BlackBerry ?
    12-31-11 11:50 AM
    I know what your saying. And I know what Apple is doing. I never said I agreed, but they have to do everything they can to protect their patents or other intellectual property. Apple feels they have "created that design" so they will fight for it. They have the cash to do so and will continue to do it.

All I am saying is that getting rid of Apple will be no good as well. I don't want any of them to disappear. I like the extra competition. I don't agree with what Apple is doing and I wouldn't agree if someone else was doing it as well.
    AVT, I want to thank you for this response. Unlike some of the other posters you're able to craft a disagreement without having an angry or insulting tone to it. Debate is only as fun as it's respectful.

And I don't think Apple is wrong for wanting to protect their designs and innovations. What I don't like is how they're going after much smaller companies now. And they're getting patent after patent even for technology they're not using so that they can implement it and then turn around and sue other companies for using it...even though they were using it prior. I don't know if 'prior art' will come into play here.

And I don't want to get rid of Apple at all. I think they make quality products. And before this craziness of sue happiness went on, I had encouraged my wife to get an iPhone over the Galaxy S phone.

What I really want is for them to get a taste of their own medicine. Give 'em a short banning and then let them persume sales. I think it's obnoxious that they should tell other manufacturers not to make a tablet in a rectangular fashion with curved edges.
    12-31-11 11:52 AM
    AVT, I want to thank you for this response. Unlike some of the other posters you're able to craft a disagreement without having an angry or insulting tone to it. Debate is only as fun as it's respectful.
    I agree. Keeping the peace is always a good thing.

And I don't think Apple is wrong for wanting to protect their designs and innovations. What I don't like is how they're going after much smaller companies now. And they're getting patent after patent even for technology they're not using so that they can implement it and then turn around and sue other companies for using it...even though they were using it prior. I don't know if 'prior art' will come into play here.
    Agreed. Apple has teamed up with a patent troll. It's only going to get nastier from here on out. This is why the patent system needs reform.

And I don't want to get rid of Apple at all. I think they make quality products. And before this craziness of sue happiness went on, I had encouraged my wife to get an iPhone over the Galaxy S phone.

What I really want is for them to get a taste of their own medicine. Give 'em a short banning and then let them persume sales. I think it's obnoxious that they should tell other manufacturers not to make a tablet in a rectangular fashion with curved edges.
    I am sure Apple will get a taste. Check these out.

Motorola wins injunction against Apple, could spell trouble for EU sales

Legal Technology: Samsung Wins Preliminary Legal Victory against Apple in Germany over Galaxy Tab Design
    12-31-11 12:16 PM
    Are Google apps on Apple phones crappy like on the BlackBerry ?
    Google maps isn't as good on the iPhone as it is on Android. There is a gmail app if you decide to use it, and native youtube app sucks. I use the HTML 5 site for youtube and turned it into an icon (shortcut) on my homescreen.
    12-31-11 12:18 PM
    Even Samsung wall chargers take design cues from Apple...
    I was in a bunch of airports over the past week. Samsung is making a brilliant marketing move.

Many of the gate waiting areas have iPhone charging stations with Samsung Galaxy displays. So when folks charge their iPhone, they get to see the latest Galaxy device in person.

Come to think of it, I suppose you could charge anything there, but all I saw were iPhones on every port.
    12-31-11 12:45 PM
    I was in a bunch of airports over the past week. Samsung is making a brilliant marketing move.

Many of the gate waiting areas have iPhone charging stations with Samsung Galaxy displays. So when folks charge their iPhone, they get to see the latest Galaxy device in person.

Come to think of it, I suppose you could charge anything there, but all I saw were iPhones on every port.
    Lol that's interesting. I haven't seen one of those yet. I'll be at the airport next month and will be sure to look.
    12-31-11 01:10 PM
    Lol that's interesting. I haven't seen one of those yet. I'll be at the airport next month and will be sure to look.

I haven't seen it either. And they were all iPhones because they can't hold a charge...the BB users just walked-on-bye...

I did see something else that was hilarious...an Apple store in an airport and people were unplugging demo phones to plug-in their own devices...
    Last edited by anthogag; 12-31-11 at 03:18 PM.
    12-31-11 03:04 PM
    Well...you have to use a goggle account to get and android phone going and a blackberry account to get a RIM device going...what's your point??? I prefer BlackBerry and wouldn't trade my 9900 for an iphone because I just do...but I can still see apple as accomplishing something amazing over the last 10 years!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-31-11 03:40 PM
    I haven't seen it either. And they were all iPhones because they can't hold a charge...the BB users just walked-on-bye...

I did see something else that was hilarious...an Apple store in an airport and people were unplugging demo phones to plug-in their own devices...
    That's probably because they were using their devices a ton because airports suck.
    12-31-11 05:36 PM
    I see why BB is dominant in countries like Indonesia, and they will definitely continue to grow there. The interesting part is right smack in the middle of South-East Asia, where RIM is said to be dominating, BB phones are all but forgotten in Singapore, about 1.5 flight hours away from Indonesia. The popular stuff are iPhones and Android phones (particularly Samsung ones).

I have not put much thought into this phenomenon, especially when texting is THE main form of communication in the populace still. Theoretically this would give RIM an advantage but I'm not seeing it here.
    My assumption is that Apple is a good entertainment device. I see people taking MRT and watching movies, playing games etc whether its on a Nokia or Android or Apple. But BB isn't really a "entertainment" device YET so its a bit slow on this. Maybe when more quality apps are available, then people will start switching...

- Charles
    Last edited by chaddeus; 01-01-12 at 03:17 AM.
    01-01-12 03:11 AM
    How easy is it for Asian BB users to get their native language supported on physical keyboards? Maybe that's why virtual keyboards dominate?
    01-01-12 03:25 AM
    How easy is it for Asian BB users to get their native language supported on physical keyboards? Maybe that's why virtual keyboards dominate?
    Yes you are right but when most people talk about physical keyboards, I think they are talking about the feeling of pressing something and getting the feedback.

- Charles
    01-01-12 11:20 AM
    Competition fuels research and development leading to greater innovation.... We needs android and apple to make good products....basic economics
    01-01-12 12:11 PM
    Apple will have problems with android and I think android will have issues with windows mobile. The smartphone market is rapidly changing and it seems to be heading towards simplicity. And BlackBerry already has that were other platforms are getting more complicated.

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express
    01-01-12 05:15 PM
    It's more than just support- with a physical keyboard the user has to memorize key mapping for alternate layouts. For multilingual users (e.g. Chinese and English) virtual keyboards are unmatched.
    01-01-12 05:33 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD