MORE IMAGES COMING SOON! -

Any feedback is appreciated!

Anyone who tries this, please post your details such as Model, Cellular Provider, and OS. As well as any programs you may have used other than those listed. This will help as a reference point for others and to help provide information on this guide.

NOTE: If you require any help, please provide at least the following information for faster help along with any questions or problems.

Carrier: ______
    Model: _______

UPDATE 11/02/09 Updated US Cellular with a possible second set of settings. Updated the attached files with v3 of HouseApe's pdf guide.

UPDATE 08/22/09 If you are having problems using QPST with your blackberry curve, try downgrading to an OS below .131. This will allow QPST to connect to your phone and let you modify the settings. You can then upgrade back to the current OS keeping those settings intact.

There is also a kind of quick try solution for those that want to try something simple before following this guide. You can try Garmin's Blackberry GPS software at this link Install the 7-day trial and then check if your other applications can access the GPS. If they do, you can just hide the Garmin program but leave it installed. If not, you can follow this guide.

Prologue

This is a guide on fixing the GPS in various Blackberry models on various providers. After this fix, you should have no problem getting a GPS signal. If you could already get a signal, you should notice a quicker lock-on and more satellites.

The creator of this guide (me) has only confirmed this to work on the Alltel Curve 8330 OS-4.5.0.131 personally. Please post any confirmed fixes to keep this thread updated with the latest information and details.

NOTE: This is mainly for CDMA Blackberrys. It may work on GSM models but is not confirmed. You can try applying the fix if you'd like. If your network isn't listed in Part II, you can try with another network's settings but try at your own risk.

There are reports of users from other sites getting this fix to work on other models and networks. Until confirmed by other users at CrackBerry, they remain unconfirmed. Please help out by posting your success.

Search the page for the part you need. I.E. Search for "Part IV" and you can easily get to the Thanks section.

Table of Contents
    Part 0 - Notes
    Part I - Requirements
    Part II - Network Settings & Addresses
    Part III-A - Guide - Setup & Discovery
    Part III-B - Guide - Applying the Fix
    Part IV - Thanks

I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR PHONE IF YOU MESS IT UP. PLEASE FOLLOW THE GUIDE CAREFULLY

Part 0 - Notes
    *Blackberry Desktop 4.6 or higher is not required and may work with previous versions. However, this guide was made with 4.7 so it is recommended to have at least version 4.6 of this software.

What is this?
    A fix for people who cannot get their GPS working or have had it broken with an update. May also speed up GPS lock and increase satellites locked on to.

How does it work?
    I honestly have NO idea. I simply rewrote a guide based on another I found based on my experiences.
    It would appear that providers erase the network information or put false information that causes GPS problems. Updating the phone to the correct settings improves your connection.

HouseApe adds this information on how the fix works
    The gpsOne technology functions in four different modes of operation. Chosen automatically or specified by software, the
    four modes are Standalone GPS, Mobile Station (MS)-based, MS-assisted and MS-assisted/Hybrid. In the A-GPS modes,
    gpsOne technology utilizes assistance data from a location server in the wireless network in combination with A-GPS circuitry
    and software in the wireless device.

Note: The common term used by standards bodies for the handset/terminal device in CDMA2000 is "Mobile Station" (MS) and in WCDMA (UMTS)/GPRS/GSM/HSDPA/EDGE is
    �User Equipment� (UE). For simplicity in this document, references to the handset/terminal will be "MS," but this use implies both MS and UE.

Standalone GPS: The GPS receiver calculates a position without using any assistance data and without a connection to
    the wireless network.

MS-Based: The GPS receiver calculates the position using assistance data from a location server to increase cold-start
    sensitivity and reduce the start time for an initial position calculation.

MS-Assisted: The GPS receiver uses assistance data from a location server to make measurements related to its distance
    from the GPS satellites, then sends this information to the location server where the position is calculated. This mode also
    increases cold start sensitivity and reduces the start time for an initial position calculation.

MS-Assisted/Hybrid: Wireless network information is added to GPS measurements as part of the position calculation by
    the location server, integrating the relative strengths of GPS information and available wireless network location information
    for increased positioning reliability in difficult GPS environments.

Do I need this?
    If you are perfectly happy with your GPS, then no. If you are at an impasse and willing to try anything, yes. If you want to give it a try just because you want to crack your berry, yes.

If you have Verizon and they crippled your GPS so it only works with BB Maps and VZ Navigator, this is the fix for you!

Is it safe?
    I had no issues applying the fix myself but I hold no responsibility if you mess up your phone. You should not have any problems if you follow the guide step by step.

How can I help?
    If you try a setting, model, network, or anything else unconfirmed, please report back so this guide can be updated.

If you can provide more information or insight on this guide, let me know. You will be credited and this guide will be updated to keep all relevant information on the first page for users to quickly locate.

If you can help me make the guide more presentable, please help me out. This was written after being up all night before. Actually finished it like at about 7am. Posted, crashed (asleep). So any help in cleaning it up to make it easier for users would be welcome

Also, if anyone can let me know if there are hide tags here on CrackBerry forums, that would be wonderful. That way I can put images in them and users can expand them as needed. This will help the layout and let users get what they want when they need it. I plan to have each step have an accompanying picture so I hope this forum will allow that.

Now, onto the guide!

Part I - Requirements
    NOTE: If you have Verizon or Alltel, your SPC/MSL may be 000000 and will just need to do the steps in Part III-B [Including Steps 1-9 in Part III-A]

-Operating System
    Windows Vista - Tested
    Windows XP - Tested

-Blackberry OS - Latest Recommended
    Firmware 4.5+ [May work on previous firmwares but is unconfirmed]

-Programs You Will Need
    Blackberry Desktop Manager 4.6+*
    QPST 2.7 Build 215 for all Blackberry Models except Storm
    QPST 2.7 Build 301 for Blackberry Storm

-Programs You Might Need
    CDMA Access:
    UniCDMA 2.1 (Used in this Guide)
    CDMA Universal

Hex Reader:
    Hex Workshop (Used in this Guide)
    WinHex v14.9

-Confirmed Tested Devices
    Blackberry Curve 8330 (Alltel | Sprint)
    Blackberry Storm 9530 (Telus | Verizon)

-Unknown but said to work at HowardForums
    Storm 9500
    All Pearl Models
    Other Curve Models besides 8330
    8700 series
    Bold & Curve 8900

Part II - Network Settings & Addresses
    -Network Settings - REMEMBER TO BACKUP ANY SETTINGS IF THEY EXIST

Confirmed
    Alltel
    PDE IP Address = 205.142.19.100
    PDE Port Number = 8888
    PDE Transport = IP
    Position Calculation = Mobile

Sprint:
    PDE IP Address = 68.28.31.49
    PDE Port Number = 5017
    PDE Transport = IP

Telus:
    PDE IP Address = 216.198.139.92
    PDE Port Number = 8889
    PDE Transport = IP

Verizon:
    PDE IP Address: 66.174.95.132
    PDE Port number: 8888
    PDE Transport: IP
    Position Calculation: Mobile

Unconfirmed
    Bell:
    PDE IP Address: 206.47.201.75

US Cellular (Same as Alltel)
    PDE IP Address = 205.142.19.100
    PDE Port Number = 8888
    PDE Transport = IP

US Cellular (Try this if one above fails)
    PDE IP Address = 64.58.50.45
    PDE Port Number = 8889
    PDE Transport = IP

MetroPCS:
    Server IP Address = 198.17.1.0
    Server Port Number = 3425
    PDE Transport = IP
    Position Calcultation = PDE

AT&T:
    PDE IP Address: 66.209.11.61

-Address & Length for UniCDMA

Confirmed
    Blackberry Curve 8330 (Alltel)
    -Address=0x1067ed90
    -Length=1703936

Unconfirmed
    Blackberry Storm 9530
    -Address=0x17c455be
    -Length=524288

Blackberry Pearl
    -Address=0x106c9e79
    -Length=1703936

Blackberry 8703e
    -Address=0x10050000
    -Length=1703936

Blackberry 8830 WE
    -Address=0x10057700
    -Length=524288

Blackberry 8130
    -Address=0x10129990
    -Length=25000

Blackberry 8800
    -Address=0x10630000
    -Length=1703936

Unknown Models - Try these if no other alternative. If the outputted BIN file is 0kb, try a different address. This only reads from your phone and will NOT harm it.
    -Address=0x1067ed90
    -Length=1703936

-Address=0x1070fa96
    -Length=524288

Part III-A - Guide - Setup & Discovery
    0. Do not have the Blackberry hooked up until told in this guide.

1. Download and install all the programs you need. If you have Alltel or Verizon you do not need to do any steps above 3 in Part III-A unless QPST will not recognize your phone. If this happens, do steps 4-9.

2. Open up Blackberry Desktop Manager 4.7

NOTE: Blackberry Desktop Manager MUST stay open through the entirety of this guide.

3. Plug in the Blackberry you have.

4. Open up Device Manager

5. Click the + beside Ports (COM & LPT) You should have 2 that say RIM Virtual Serial Port v2 (COM#)

6. If neither of these are between ports 1-4, proceed to next step, otherwise skip to step 10 or if your ports are between 1-4 and you already have your SPC/MSL number, skip to Part III-B.

7. Right click one of the ports and click Properties.

8. Select Port Settings and then Advanced.

9. Change COM Port Number to an unused port between 1 and 4. Click OK.

10. Open UniCDMA and change the Mode to Qualcomm.

11. Click Setup and select the port of your Blackberry or the port you set in step 9.

NOTE: If it says it Couldn't open port COM#, select the other Blackberry port. If you had to manually change the port as in steps 7-9, change the modified port back and then change the other Blackberry port.

NOTE: You may have to disconnect your Blackberry and close the open programs (BB DM & UniCDMA) and start from step 10 again after reopening BB DM, reconnecting your Blackberry, and reopening UniCDMA. A restart could also be required.

12. Click Read All. It should display information about your device on the left side including your ESN #.

13. Click Memory and input the address and length for your model under the Address & Length for uniCDMA section in Part II and click Read and save to file.

14. Save the file as anything, just remember where it is. If it successfully worked, you should have a BIN file containing information. If you have a 0kb BIN file, try a different address and length.

15. Open Hex Workshop and load the BIN file.

16. Locate a 6 digit numerical code. This is your SPC/MSL Code. Apparently all Alltel and Verizons codes are 000000 (Unconfirmed)

17. Remember this number and close the programs.

18. Process to Part III-B.

Part III-B - Guide - Applying the Fix
    19. Open up Service Programming that was installed with QPST

20. A popup should ask you to choose your phone. It should automatically have one selected. If there isn't one selected, change the ports as mentioned in steps 4-9

21. Click OK. It will ask for a base model. I chose SURF6100-ZRF6155 (bottom one).

NOTE: You can also try Surf6300-BB and Surf750000-A if you do not have the option for gpsOne as found in Step 23.

22. Select Read from Phone and enter the SPC/MSL Number.

23. Press the right arrow until you find the option for gpsOne

24. Under gpsOne, check all the boxes on the left side so they are black check marks instead of grey or blank.

25. Enter all the network settings according to your carrier listed in Part II

26. Select Write to Phone.

27. It may present an error. Your phone should restart. Once rebooted, you can unplug it and close QPST, BDM.

28. Your phone may startup without a signal. Calling out will ask if you want to fix the connection.

29. It should fix your connection and your gps should now work.

30. Test it in BBmaps or whichever program you would like.

31. Enjoy!

NOTE: You may need to update your phone by dialing *228 and choosing option 2 to update or 1 to program.

Part IV - Thanks
    Original HowardForums Thread
    HowardForums user Unibomber for the initial guide.
    Everyone in the thread who helped with additional information.
    RIM, for creating the blackberry.
    Alltel for giving me my Curve as a replacement for my LG Rhythm
    bionic4.0 for posting a link to PDF with a similar guide. Is now attached for reference.
    HouseApe for creating that PDF.

UPDATES:
    I have attached a PDF document linked to by another crackberry user bionic4.0. It is very similar to my guide and I didn't even know it existed before I created this. Hopefully it can help. Please use this thread for any discussion regarding this fix so it can be contained in one thread instead of spread out everywhere.

I have updated the addresses for more models and added a possible IP setting for AT&T.

Added links for Blackberry Desktop Manager 4.7 and Hex Workshop. Use Google to locate the others.

A user tipped me that you need QPST 2.7 Build 301 for storm. Added a note.

Corrected some spelling mistakes, reworded some lines. Added a note on what information to provide when seeking help with this fix.

HouseApe, creator of the PDF attached, provided some more information on how the fix works and also provided a bit more information to update the guide with.

Added some more info. Confirmed network settings for Telus, Sprint, and Verizon. Confirmed Storm 9530 model fixable with this guide.

USERS WHO HAVE FIXED THEIR GPS:
    TheHeartlessHero (DUH!)
    HellKatzX
    CDKG
    Mythos_LX
    Baniels
    VictoryCube
    nlerx
    TylerP81
    Jocko1960
    Last edited by TheHeartlessHero; 11-02-09 at 03:42 AM.
    03-28-09 06:44 AM
    (see bolded text to skip back story)

I'm wondering if I should try this fix for my navigation app on my Sprint phone.

The problem I am having is that when I launch it, it just gets stuck at the splash screen that says "Sprint Navigation v2.1".

My phone is new so Ive only had the problem a couple of days and I dont have an urgent need to get it fixed but at some point would like it to work as it should.

As best I can tell the problem started after the last time I tried to test out the voice recognition part of the app. So I got in the menu and went to enter a location and chose the option to speak it. Once I realized it was dialing a number and I would have to hold the phone to my ear I decided to wait until later to try it so I cancelled the call and exited the app.

Ever since then when I try to launch it, it gets stuck at the splash screen and the only thing I can do is use the power/end call key to back out of it.

Ive read that maybe removing the app from the phone and redownloading and installing is a possibility but I have my reservations about that.

Is this fix intended to cure stalled applications or is it mainly for ones that cant find a connection?
    03-28-09 03:13 PM
    I don't have a Sprint phone but I hope my answer can help a bit.

If it is trying to locate a GPS signal on the Splash Screen before the application loads, this fix should help.

If the program is stalling for some other reason, it may help, but idk.

One thing to try is turning off the GPS under Options > Advanced Settings > GPS and running the program. If it errors out or gets past the splash screen, it's something with the GPS and try the fix.

This fix is for anyone who could never get a GPS connection or stopped having one after an OS Update.

May also be used to connect to more satellites. When I first got the phone and gps was working before the hack, I got max 5 sats. Now after it, I have never gotten below 8 and have gotten as high as 12.

Earlier I was driving to work, rain, clouds, and google maps got a lock in 3 seconds. I was happy ^_^.

Question to Mods
    Is it possible to sticky or have it show up in multiple forums? I am sure most users go to a model's individual board and will not see this thread unless it shows up there.
    chris_30 likes this.
    03-28-09 09:30 PM
    I might try this if I get the courage up, thanks for the great guide
    03-29-09 02:45 AM
    I should try this on the wife's BB Curve 8830 from Verizon.. Maybe today.
    03-29-09 10:02 AM
    I have the Verizon 8830.

I guess I canNOT follow directions or something does not work.

Does it have to be DM 4.7? I'm using 4.6

I have FOUR RIM ports, 3, 4, 5 and 6.

Do I need to run the UniCDMA? If so, well, no contact.

I then tried the QPST program but again, NO communications with my phone appears.

Maybe someone else will give this a shot.

I recall playing with the QPST ages ago on my XP computer and was able to connect with some phone (might have been before BB) as I don't recall. This is a Vista computer (home premium so 32 bits)
    03-29-09 11:24 AM
    Verizon.

Did it twice and its no love
    03-29-09 12:42 PM
    F2, have u tried switching the ports that are using 3 and 4 with the ones using 5 and 6? When I did it, port 5 to port 2, I got nothing as well. It worked when I changed port 6 though.

Also, 4.6 should work. When you are trying QPST, do you already have BB DM running and connected? If it isn't connected, you won't be able to in QPST.
    03-29-09 12:52 PM
    Verizon.

Did it twice and its no love
    So you completed all the steps successfully? Did you ever have gps working before this? OS version on the curve?
    03-29-09 12:57 PM
    Just tried more switching ports. Qpst does NOT "awaken" the Read-from-phone button.

Yup, DM is active and working.
    Last edited by F2; 03-29-09 at 07:35 PM.
    03-29-09 01:05 PM
    So any luck?

I'll be unable to respond for next 8 hours or so but will reply to everyone later tonight when I can
    03-29-09 01:10 PM
    Only thing that was working before was the BBMaps and Google but only BBmaps work now.

Yes, All steps were done successfully right down to the errors. I rebooted a few times and still nothen.

OS on the Curve.. 4.5.0.77
    03-29-09 01:16 PM
    I'm trying this also using a Alltel 8330.
    DM 4.7 running and connected but I'm stuck here:

20. A popup should ask you to choose your phone. It should automatically have one selected. If there isn't one selected, change the ports as mentioned in steps 4-9

Showing no "Active Phones", tried to change some ports around didn't help.

Update

Ok I got it to recognize a connected phone by double clicking the little Globe by my pc clock and adding port 4.
    It now shows my esn, phone number, port, but where it says phone it says "Unknown (83)". When I click ok to connect I get "Online connection failure: Unspecified error"
    Last edited by HellKatzX; 03-29-09 at 02:34 PM.
    03-29-09 02:24 PM
    Spark, try updating your phone to the latest firmware .131. The modified network settings should stay but it might help.

Hellkatz, what ports are shown in device manager? After I changed ports, I always unplugged and reran the programs (bb dm first) then reconnected to make sure it'd pick up the port. Did you get your phone to read under unicdma or did you skip it? Even if you don't need to find your msl, unicdma can help by making sure you can connect to it on a certain point.

Btw, hurray for sneaking some bb usage! Will be back later.
    03-29-09 02:33 PM
    Cant find no firmware .131 for Verizon ? ? ?
    03-29-09 02:43 PM
    Hellkatz, what ports are shown in device manager? After I changed ports, I always unplugged and reran the programs (bb dm first) then reconnected to make sure it'd pick up the port. Did you get your phone to read under unicdma or did you skip it? Even if you don't need to find your msl, unicdma can help by making sure you can connect to it on a certain point.
    Yes my phone read under unicdma i was able to find the 6 digit thing "000000" and it showed my phone number and esn in there so I assume it worked perfectly. I tried unplugging everything and rebooting pc & phone I still get the error when I click ok in qpst.

03-29-09 03:07 PM
    Okay I fixed the above problems. I had QPST v2.7 build 263. Which would not work so I uninstalled it and got a copy of build 215, double clicked the globe by the clock again and added port 4. Everything worked from there.

After completing the steps I got a critical error or something, perhaps this is the one you said I should get. But my gps isn't working as it wasn't before trying this. I'm going to toy with it some more and will update
    03-29-09 03:58 PM
    Haha got it working! Never before has my gps functioned, now have 9 satellites connected baby, WOOOOO

I will stick around here and help out because it took me about 3 hours to finally get it working. The PDF from the OP is excellent also, I highly suggest reading that and don't skip steps read everything word for word.
    03-29-09 05:29 PM
    Haha got it working! Never before has my gps functioned, now have 9 satellites connected baby, WOOOOO

I will stick around here and help out because it took me about 3 hours to finally get it working. The PDF from the OP is excellent also, I highly suggest reading that and don't skip steps read everything word for word.

I already had 9 - 12 sat fixed on BB maps.. I needed to have Googles map and AmazeGPS working..
    03-29-09 06:30 PM
    Spark, you can update the os to .131. Check the 8330 forum at top for sprint os 4.5.0.131. There are instructions inside on how to update it.

Verizon cripples their gps to only work with bbmaps and vz navigator. This fix on ur models latest firmware should fix it. Please try to upgrade it to 131 and let us know if anything changes.

Good job hellkatz. Glad you got it fixed. Hope you can help. Out with the guide and other users issues.
    03-29-09 07:02 PM
    well my Navigation started working again today but I am not sure why.

I didnt do anything other than go through a bunch of the properties and options screens.

One thing I did do just before it started working was to reset the firewall settings.

One other thing before it started working was that I downloaded and installed the NFL Mobile Live app. It didnt want to work at first either but it at least gave me some options to retry or exit.

Oh and I also powered down and removed the battery for a few minutes but I had done that before with no success.

So basically I have no idea why its working again now.
    03-29-09 11:35 PM
    I guess I could see the firewall preventing something. Could also see a setting for another program may help. Sometimes things click without rhyme or reason.

So is everything working for you? All 3rd party apps, navigator, bbmaps, etc?
    03-29-09 11:43 PM
    Goona have to try this

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-30-09 12:37 AM
    I upgraded to .91 when i read it allowed the GPS to work.. Well again that didnt work.. I will try .131 when wife gets home tonight.
    03-30-09 09:01 AM
    Just some notes to add as I'm the author of the PDF guide.

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

- Use DM 4.6
    - Use QPST .215 for all BB Models and Surf6300-BB as the base model except for the Storm Use .301 and Surf7500-A as the base model.

- IF your on US Cellular use the Alltel settings.

- Google Maps still does not work with the GPS on the Storm.

And if your wondering how the GPS works read below.

The gpsOne technology functions in four different modes of operation. Chosen automatically or specified by software, the
    four modes are Standalone GPS, Mobile Station (MS)-based, MS-assisted and MS-assisted/Hybrid. In the A-GPS modes,
    gpsOne technology utilizes assistance data from a location server in the wireless network in combination with A-GPS circuitry
    and software in the wireless device.

Note: The common term used by standards bodies for the handset/terminal device in CDMA2000 is "Mobile Station" (MS) and in WCDMA (UMTS)/GPRS/GSM/HSDPA/EDGE is
    �User Equipment� (UE). For simplicity in this document, references to the handset/terminal will be "MS," but this use implies both MS and UE.

Standalone GPS: The GPS receiver calculates a position without using any assistance data and without a connection to
    the wireless network.

MS-Based: The GPS receiver calculates the position using assistance data from a location server to increase cold-start
    sensitivity and reduce the start time for an initial position calculation.

MS-Assisted: The GPS receiver uses assistance data from a location server to make measurements related to its distance
    from the GPS satellites, then sends this information to the location server where the position is calculated. This mode also
    increases cold start sensitivity and reduces the start time for an initial position calculation.

MS-Assisted/Hybrid: Wireless network information is added to GPS measurements as part of the position calculation by
    the location server, integrating the relative strengths of GPS information and available wireless network location information
    for increased positioning reliability in difficult GPS environments.
    03-30-09 10:57 AM
646 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD