Hello all! ( I am beginning to think I am addicted to this website, and these forums!!) Anyhow, my question is this: Is anyone else dissatisfied with how email come across on your BB? When I get emails from Victorias Secret, for example, I get nothing but useless links- no pictures, plus, it takes like 10 years just to get to the part of the email where they are offering me something. I watched a video on the Iphone, and they had no problem visualizing their messages! Not thinking about switching phones, just would like to know how to optimize my BB for better use! Thanks in advance if you can help.
    07-08-08 11:48 AM
    Hello & welcome to the addiction.

Sounds like you need to use a 3rd party HTML mail reader like BBSmart. Makes emails look much better.
    07-08-08 11:51 AM
    I wouldn't say dissatisfied is the word. I did a lot of research before I purchased my Blackberry, and knew full well what I was getting into. Blackberries have been marketted mainly as business devices. That being said, if I wanted something that was mainly media-driven, I would have gone out and bought an iPhone. I don't necessarily need fancy html and graphics in my emails... My phone does what I need it to, and it does it well. Just my opinion.
    07-08-08 11:52 AM
    It's not going to look exactly like it would on a PC. It is extremely hard to lay out content for a mobile device and get it to look good and play nice. The upcoming 4.5 OS released will improve email.
    07-08-08 11:59 AM
    Sounds like you need to use a 3rd party HTML mail reader like BBSmart. Makes emails look much better.
    I agree, download BBSmart for a trial, you can toggle to see the difference. I thought I wanted to have HTML on my BB but I don't think the memory use is worth it. I give out other e-mail addresses for things like that. My BB I use for informational e-mails and it works well for me. But if you want them to be pretty you are able to change easy enough.
    07-08-08 12:01 PM
    Non-HTML email is not a flaw or oversight within the BB design. Nor is it as simple a "We are not a consumer device, but a business device. If you want pretty email buy an iPhone." It has been well established (in these forums and elsewhere) that RIM is aggressively targeting the consumer market. If RIM were really so elitist as to tell buyers to "go buy an iPhone if you want pretty" then why would they be releasing new generation phones with all the bells and whistles? No, non-HTML email is not an oversight but rather a calculated decision based on the well documented fact that HTML email is used notoriously as a vehicle to deploy malware.
    makes enough sense

but then again, isnt it still gonna be a malware risk when they release 4.5?
    07-08-08 12:16 PM
    When I get emails from Victorias Secret, for example, I get nothing but useless links- no pictures,
    Umm, yeah, I can see how that would be frustrating.

There is also Empower BlackBerry HTML Email Viewer. Also has a free trial,
    no sure how many days though.
    07-08-08 12:17 PM
    Thanks for the replies. I don't know if I'm that dissatisfied to get 3rd party software, but I will look into the suggestion. Ok, so if I'm not running on 4.5 OS now, what is it? (Completely clueless on that one!) And will this new OS be available on the BB Bold? Thanks guys- and gals
    07-08-08 12:17 PM
    Thanks for the replies. I don't know if I'm that dissatisfied to get 3rd party software, but I will look into the suggestion. Ok, so if I'm not running on 4.5 OS now, what is it? (Completely clueless on that one!) And will this new OS be available on the BB Bold? Thanks guys- and gals
    Perhaps it would be a good idea for you to test drive a free trial version of the 3rd party app which will allow you to view html rich emails. That way you can decide if it is worth the cost and installation to you.
    07-08-08 12:19 PM
    when we say 4.5 we mean the OS (operating system on the device, like XP and Vista is for windows).

bold will be shipping with 4.6.

you manually upgrade your device thru the desktop manager and soon you'll be able to do it over the air.

there are beta 4.5's out but there are still bugs (thus called betas lol)
    07-08-08 12:19 PM
    Oh, and while I'm here.. what's the website for the mobile friendly crackberry.com? I read somewhere it was wap.crackberry.com - but that doesn't seem to work.
    07-08-08 12:23 PM
    try wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-08-08 12:24 PM
    try wapforums.crackberry.com
    Now i am getting an HTTP Error 503: saying the server is temp. unable to handle request due to overloading or maintenance of server... What???
    07-08-08 12:29 PM
    Just try again. If you've been using your phone a lot - browsing, you may need to do a reset or battery pull. While you're on the site, go to the entry screen and download the Crackberry launcher. It'll take you to the right place when you want to come back.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-08-08 12:46 PM
    Oh, when you go to wap.crackberry.com, delete the www.

07-08-08 12:48 PM
    Amazing. That worked thanks
    07-08-08 12:55 PM
    Good. The link to download the Crackberry launcher should be there at wap.crackberry.com's welcome screen.

07-08-08 12:59 PM
    Oh, when you go to wap.crackberry.com, delete the www.
    Thanks exelant and sorry to the OP. I totally spaced on that part
    07-08-08 01:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD