There is no value in it though. BB10 = a several billion dollar failure. Who would spend money to buy and maintain a smartphone platform that has lost its creator billions of dollars and has never generated a single cent of profit?
    You underestimate the power of Apples marketing. Say "we invented the most secure OS for enterprises" and you'll have Fortune 500 companies lining up.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-16 10:27 PM
    Chen should be kicked out! BB10 Os is the best and BlackBerry should continue develop it period! Chen resign!

  
    silversmith75 and xKingHopy like this.
    04-04-16 10:34 PM
    The Hub! That super duper awesome exclusive feature that didn't do squat to help prevent BB10 from becoming the single largest commercial failure ever in the smartphone industry.

No one cares. Or at least almost no smartphone owners do.

I personally prefer the way Android handles notifications (preview, read, reply, delete, archive) via the drop down panel. The Hub on BB10 was slower for me when compared to Android's method. I don't see there being anyone who would pay to license the Hub.
    Which has always been my view too.

I kept reading here on CB how "the world" was envious and jealous that their phones didn't have a Hub. Often those same posters were also saying how "the world" was really enthusiastic about the Priv (with the awesome Hub) and couldn't wait to buy one. Given the sales disaster we've just seen, I guess "the world" isn't much interested in either the Hub, or the Priv.

No-one (of sound mind) would pay BB to licence the Hub!

Chen has recently said (IIRC) that he's going to put the Hub onto the Google Play Store. I hope he does. I'm sure that there are people who would pay to download the Hub, and it might give BB some much-needed revenue, but it'll never be a "must-have" App.
    04-05-16 04:52 AM
    You underestimate the power of Apples marketing. Say "we invented the most secure OS for enterprises" and you'll have Fortune 500 companies lining up.

Posted via CB10
    You say that as if fortune 500 employees aren't already using iOS devices right now. According to business insider - "Among Fortune 500 companies, 97% use the iPhone in some capacity and 98% use the iPad."

BlackBerry has always been about being secure, yet they've never had anywhere near the amount of total users as the "insecure" options do and they are slowly disappearing.

I think you overestimate how many smartphone users there are in the world who need/want a ultra-secure device. If there was any value in BlackBerry's security offerings, wouldn't someone have bought them back when BlackBerry leadership put the for sale signs up? Apple could have bought "the most secure OS for enterprise" for what amounts to pocket change for them. Why didn't they do that? Perhaps it is because there is no value in BB10 and iOS already stole BlackBerry's lunch when it comes to enterprise.
    04-05-16 05:03 AM
    Yeah if hub is so great why we only have 0.3 % market share ..people are just fine without hub ,likely
    I think that's because they don't know the hub?
    Oshasat likes this.
    04-05-16 06:54 AM
    The entertainment value here is increasing. Blackberry has nothing to offer the majority of smartphone users. I'm a big fan of the Hub but lets face reality. There is no really good word on the street when it comes to Blackberry. It's an overpriced Android phone with only 2 real pluses. The Keyboard and the Hub. Well, if PKB were so great there would be more devices using them. I for one would pay for Hub integration on my iPhone because aside from the Hub the only other thing i really miss is the LED notification and to a lesser degree, BB email.
    Priv sales picking up? Wont happen! The phone is overpriced and lets face it, when Blackberry ditched OS10 they admitted failure. Overpriced phone with a crap OS. Go back a few years here and see what everyone said about Android. Nothing has changed except Blackberry is now an Android phone
    Double Woof for you!........spot on
    04-05-16 07:05 AM
    Which has always been my view too.

I kept reading here on CB how "the world" was envious and jealous that their phones didn't have a Hub. Often those same posters were also saying how "the world" was really enthusiastic about the Priv (with the awesome Hub) and couldn't wait to buy one. Given the sales disaster we've just seen, I guess "the world" isn't much interested in either the Hub, or the Priv.

No-one (of sound mind) would pay BB to licence the Hub!

Chen has recently said (IIRC) that he's going to put the Hub onto the Google Play Store. I hope he does. I'm sure that there are people who would pay to download the Hub, and it might give BB some much-needed revenue, but it'll never be a "must-have" App.
    Maybe BlackBerry could put Chen in the Google play store........every time he opens his mouth there is some entertainment value....for a good laugh!

Woof
    JeepBB, Witmen and MikeX74 like this.
    04-05-16 07:09 AM
    I think that's because they don't know the hub?
    Hmm android has the notification try before BB came out with the HUB. The idea of unified area to gather of all of one's notifications and interact with is not new or innovative idea that BB came up with. It is an old concept. It in the end of the day the HUB did not propel BB10 to a bigger market share as the as Android, Windows Phone, IOS and other smartphone os their own notification systems.
    Uzi and JeepBB like this.
    04-05-16 07:11 AM
    Chen will probably put the HUB in the Store when BB exists the hardware division. At the moment, it has more value as a PRIV selling point to current BB10 owners, than as a paid app in the Play Store.
    04-05-16 09:41 AM
    Well I'm sure the Priv sales will pick up, because keep in mind it was wasn't not to long ago that Verizon, started selling the Priv, and it was introduced in Japan
    Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    BlackBerry has done that many times in the past with different phones. But the reality is, they always get the best sales in the first few weeks, and after that it is always a decline.

If they wanted Android to beat out BB10, then they would need Android to outsell BB10. Otherwise on a long enough timeline sales will dwindle just like BB10's sales did. Like so many companies they gambled they could profit off Android, and realized too late it's a cost focused, over saturated market.

The Priv was one of their worst sellers of all time. Android did not save them. They needed 10M+ sales to beat out the Z10's numbers. Instead they got somewhere around 400K. Not even close to good enough. But that's just my opinion.

Posted to CB via my Passport | Lloyd Summers | FileArchiveHaven
    JeepBB and anon(9742832) like this.
    04-05-16 09:50 AM
    The Priv was one of their worst sellers of all time. Android did not save them. They needed 10M+ sales to beat out the Z10's numbers. Instead they got somewhere around 400K. Not even close to good enough. But that's just my opinion.
    I would say that Android wasn't enough to save BlackBerry from their own stupidity. A Android powered device could have been successful for the company, but not if BlackBerry decided to release one and continue to repeat the same stupid mistakes. Which is exactly what they did do.

In my opinion, BlackBerry's number one mistake has always been aiming at the less than 1% of smartphone users who want or need a smartphone that is advertised as being ultra-secure. Was no one at BlackBerry smart enough to check and see how successful the Blackphone or Blackphone 2 was? Those are basically nothing more than expensive Android phones that claim to offer improved security over normal Android phones. The same as the Priv. Did Silent Circle sell millions and millions of smartphones last year? Why did BlackBerry think that the Priv would be any different?

Things possibly could have worked out much better for BlackBerry if they had dropped the security aspect that almost no one cares about and had just made a normal, everyday Android device with good specs and a competitive price. I can honestly say that I've never once heard a Android user say "man, I love my Android phone, but I really wish that it was more secure".
    JeepBB, bakron1 and anon(9742832) like this.
    04-05-16 10:36 AM
    I would say that Android wasn't enough to save BlackBerry from their own stupidity. A Android powered device could have been successful for the company, but not if BlackBerry decided to release one and continue to repeat the same stupid mistakes. Which is exactly what they did do.

In my opinion, BlackBerry's number one mistake has always been aiming at the less than 1% of smartphone users who want or need a smartphone that is advertised as being ultra-secure. Was no one at BlackBerry smart enough to check and see how successful the Blackphone or Blackphone 2 was? Those are basically nothing more than expensive Android phones that claim to offer improved security over normal Android phones. The same as the Priv. Did Silent Circle sell millions and millions of smartphones last year? Why did BlackBerry think that the Priv would be any different?

Things possibly could have worked out much better for BlackBerry if they had dropped the security aspect that almost no one cares about and had just made a normal, everyday Android device with good specs and a competitive price. I can honestly say that I've never once heard a Android user say "man, I love my Android phone, but I really wish that it was more secure".
    Security has never been an issue with the majority of the consumer market unless it directs affects them personally. While in the corporate and government worlds, security of emails and messages are top priority.

But even with Blackberry OS10 the typical consumer devices are no more secure then an Android and iPhone unless your using BES and connected to a BES server. I for one would gladly pay a small sum on my cell bill every month if they where to introduce a secured email service with a @blackberry.net extension like the old days.

The problem is that this is 2016 and most email clients like Google and Outlook have a good level of security build into their systems and it's free. Look at the latest issue with Apple over device security that was front page news around the world.

Most folks read the article and had some concerns, but 99% feel as long as it doesn't affect them directly and their iPhone is still working properly without any issues, they could care less and that's the cold hard truth about device security in the consumer sector.

As many have stated on these forums, Blackberry had their chances way back when and blew the opportunity and the rest is history. I still support the brand here in the USA and have been loyal since the early days. I only wish the folks giving the orders up there in those corporate offices in Waterloo had the same loyalty toward us???
    JeepBB, Witmen and anon(9742832) like this.
    04-05-16 11:08 AM
    I have noticed that the oft-used argument that the fact (based on sales) that "most people" don't want/use/need a particular feature found in BlackBerry is too-often cited as a reason that BlackBerry hardware itself should die a fast death.

I've also noticed that this is an attitude often found in (western, industrial) societies at large. Some writers have labeled it a "monoculture." That is the tendency to deride, defame or diminish a desire to simultaneously maintain a divergence of competing or contradictory views -- or in this case, products. Hence, the emergence of a single, overriding, and dominant culture.

I witnessed this when CDs were introduced and my collection of vinyl was laughed at, despite my CD collection being equally large. Acceptance of one seems to call for the rejection of all else. It's as though we can't juggle two thoughts or preferences simultaneously.

Whether it's jeans, running shoes, political views, musical tastes, etc., the popular tendency is to go 'all in' and vehemently deny any alternative 'ways of being'.

Market economies are strange beasts; they profess to be more inclusive, and more democratic than all other sociopolitical systems, but it's pretty easy to uncover their hypocrisy.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-16 12:35 PM
38 12