Depends on the actual pad, and who makes it. There are many manufacturers of those things, and many shapes. Some are flat (or supposed to be flat), some are cradle types, and various other configurations inbetween.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-25-19 07:39 PM
    Mine hasn't fallen off.
    I should clarify. She would read on her phone at night and sleepily throw it on the charger. So user error. But a feature she no longer uses.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-26-19 07:05 AM
    Interesting take on TCL's foldable design. It would lend itself to a nice PKB on the front. 😎 https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/9-...to-see-in-2020
    12-29-19 07:56 PM
    Interesting take on TCL's foldable design. It would lend itself to a nice PKB on the front. ������ https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/9-...to-see-in-2020
    Interesting but I doubt they’d want to do a PKB on foldable #1 since it adds to risk factors on a first device
    12-29-19 08:59 PM
    Didn’t LG do a folder smartphone a few years back?
    I think you are talking about the LG G Flex? That phone allowed the flexing of the body and screen to a certain degree but would not stay folded.
    12-30-19 03:13 AM
    I think you are talking about the LG G Flex? That phone allowed the flexing of the body and screen to a certain degree but would not stay folded.
    [IMG=446x687]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191230/da2ea5237e852efeb8d919155a3b6324.jpg[/url]
    That thing surprisingly looks easier to hold than a regular straight slab.

Am I wrong lol
    12-30-19 08:39 AM
    That thing surprisingly looks easier to hold than a regular straight slab.

Am I wrong lol
    It felt great to hold, but it came with a lot of downsides like the need for P-OLED and sitting weirdly in the pocket, at least those are the 2 issues I picked when I tried it in store, the LG G2 was a better phone to live with vs. the G Flex.
    12-30-19 09:05 AM
    I’m thinking of the LG Wine flip phone.
    12-31-19 06:37 AM
    This "plastic" backed Classic spends a lot of time in QI charge pods... right next to Bold charge pods... at bedside, in vehicles, on desk... single handed simple and reduces USB wear. My LE's USB C is already getting loose.

My biggest complaint with QI is HEAT! Classic complains too frequently of overheating while charging "wireless". NEVER that problem with Bold's "old fasioned" copper (stainless?) contact charge strategy. Lol.

Of course, to me, the term "wireless" implies a given device can remain in-hand, 24/7... powering Bolds via batt swapps has afforded over a decade of truly wireLESS freedom! I wouldn't know if USB even works on my old Bolds... lol.
    Last edited by idssteve; 12-31-19 at 11:03 AM.
    12-31-19 10:30 AM
    This "plastic" backed Classic spends a lot of time in QI charge pods... right next to Bold charge pods... at bedside, in vehicles, on desk... single handed simple and reduces USB wear. My LE's USB C is already getting loose.

My biggest complaint with QI is HEAT! Classic complains too frequently of overheating while charging "wireless". NEVER that problem with Bold's "old fasioned" copper contact charge strategy. Lol.

Of course, to me, the term "wireless" implies a given device can remain in-hand, 24/7... powering Bolds via batt swapps has afforded over a decade of truly wireLESS freedom! I wouldn't know if USB even works on my old Bolds... lol.
    At one point I envisions a scaled down magnetic port like the PlayBook had....

Pretty much a moot point these days, few have issues with battery life.... unless they have an old phone.
    12-31-19 10:59 AM
    At one point I envisions a scaled down magnetic port like the PlayBook had....

Pretty much a moot point these days, few have issues with battery life.... unless they have an old phone.
    Yep, I realize "most" don't care but MOST "hand"sets, these days, must leave hand for charging... at some point. Swappables DO afford capability of powering a handset without ever leaving hand... fwiw.
    12-31-19 11:08 AM
    Yep, I realize "most" don't care but MOST "hand"sets, these days, must leave hand for charging... at some point. Swappables DO afford capability of powering a handset without ever leaving hand... fwiw.
    When I sleep... my phone sleeps...

I hated when they made the move to non-removable batteries. But at this point, I'd rather have a sealed and water proof phone than a replaceable battery.

Do have a good portable battery unit that I bought for my last phone. It does QC3, so really there in no down time. But I haven't had to use it with my new phone....
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-31-19 11:51 AM
    Funny how folks on the other side of the planet can prove just as demanding as "in house". Lol. I've slept countless nights with Bold in hand. Vibrate wakes me without disturbing wife. That same hand can then reply without rolling wife off of right arm... lol. I've even velcro strapped the thing in hand... original "smart watch"?? Lol. Obviously a use case FEW appreciate.

Absent some battery chemistry breakthrough, or device efficiency advancements, adding handset endurance adds weight... and/or size. In order to endure a full HEAVY day's use, your hand will be enduring more weight than needed on lighter use days. Most "consumers" clearly don't care. Most clearly don't maintain 24/7 global availability. Most clearly don't spend more time typing than they do viewing. Such is life.
    12-31-19 12:43 PM

I hated when they made the move to non-removable batteries. But at this point, I'd rather have a sealed and water proof phone than a replaceable battery.
    I could certainly value ability to keep handset in hand in the shower... about the only time Bold's out of hand.. lol.
    12-31-19 12:49 PM
    The engineer in me wonders if the glass backed handsets might be leveraging heat conductivity properties of the material? I've long suspected that 9900's fiberglass battery cover should afford better heat rejection during battery charging than polycarb might...?? For example. Just pondering...
    12-31-19 01:05 PM
    The engineer in me wonders if the glass backed handsets might be leveraging heat conductivity properties of the material? I've long suspected that 9900's fiberglass battery cover should afford better heat rejection during battery charging than polycarb might...?? For example. Just pondering...
    Nah, they're using glass backs because it gives the consumers the illusion that glass = premium and because it's shiny.

Don't forget that it's pretty much all form over function these days in the smartphone world.
    12-31-19 06:08 PM
    Nah, they're using glass backs because it gives the consumers the illusion that glass = premium and because it's shiny.

Don't forget that it's pretty much all form over function these days in the smartphone world.
    Nah, it's form and function these days. Phones are undoubtedly more useful and versatile than ever before.

Sure, there are some design decisions that are form focused like rounded corners, curved screens, and perhaps glass backs but there are very few functional sacrifices in phones like the 2019 OnePlus models or flagship Galaxy phones.
    01-01-20 12:32 AM
542 ... 202122