There are a couple of types of threads that seem to show up these days, and I just finally put my finger on why they bother me so much. Note, I'm not posting specific links. I don't think that's required, and I'm not trying to make specific users look bad, but I really DO want to get this off my chest.

The OPs on these threads typically start with some variation on "You know, I LOVE BlackBerry, and I really hate to see what's happening to them... BUT..." and then they go on in one of two directions:

1) What will we do/what platform will you go to when BlackBerry goes under? On the surface, this seems like a legitimate question, right? Here's why this one bugs me: imagine someone you care about--maybe a friend, maybe a co-worker, or a family member, and then imagine they've stepped out in the street and been hit by a bus. You go to the hospital, you stand by their bedside. The prospects are grim; there's a slim chance of recovery, but they may not survive and even if they do, they may be unrecognizable.

Then some stranger walks up to you and says, "Bummer. What are you gonna do when he dies?"

At it's most innocent, this thread is insensitive. At it's most insidious, it does an excellent job of reminding everyone of just how badly BB is doing these days. Either way, it's demoralizing and pointless.

2) HERE'S why BlackBerry failed!! This thread will very likely devolve into yet another endless discussion of BlackBerry's management and marketing, which to me is not unlike being at that friend's bedside, and having that stranger come in and say, "Bummer. I guess he should have been more careful..."

For one thing, BB's marketing and management have been raked over the coals in this forum repeatedly. Just visit the Armchair CEO subforum, and I'm pretty sure you'll find a comprehensive inventory of every mistake they've made. And a few they actually didn't. It's repetitive, and tiring.

Second, let's say your insight is brilliant, your research is perfect, and you have somehow been able to actually go back in time, attend every management and marketing meeting, and you have volumes of hard data. Even if you've somehow hit upon EXACTLY where BB went wrong, guess what? It won't change anything NOW.

There's obviously room for discussion, but these two topics do NOTHING to further the conversation at this point. Can we please get past them?
    bradu1, badiyee, ssinghb and 41 others like this.
    10-11-13 01:28 AM
    Yea. Here are some topics we should talk about more.

-When is Instagram coming to BlackBerry?
    -when is vine coming?
    -Is BB10 ever coming to the PlayBook?.
    -is the Z30 the last blackberry?
    -OS7 is better than BB10
    -BB10 is better than OS7
    -Farewell everyone, leaving to ios.
    -Farewell Crackberry, going to android.
    -When is cross platform BBM coming out?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by BergerKing; 10-11-13 at 11:48 AM.
    10-11-13 01:36 AM
    Hit the nail on the head. It's the same thing over and over again. I think the same reasoning to having a single thread for people leaving or Getting their device soon should apply to these threads. It is nice to see so many people interested in what is going on at BlackBerry these days, but the repetitive arguments are getting tiresome to weed out. I think I've said what I needed to say ten times already.
    teafordgang and dbiv5445 like this.
    10-11-13 01:38 AM

-when is vine coming?
    -Is BB10 ever coming to the PlayBook?
    -OS7 is better than BB10
    -BB10 is better than OS7
    -Farewell everyone, leaving to ios
    -Farewell Crackberry, going to android

Posted via CB10
    Sarcasm, right? I agree with the OP. So tiring - don't know why I come on here anymore..

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 baby!!
    Nharzhool and bungaboy like this.
    10-11-13 01:44 AM
    In 3rd party form hopefully by December.

-when is vine coming?
    Read previous answer

No.

Maybe.

-OS7 is better than BB10
    To each their own. Both platforms offer different experiences.

-BB10 is better than OS7
    Read previous answer

Umm ok enjoy.

Read previous answer.

No idea. The running joke is "coming soon"

Maybe this should be a sticky
    10-11-13 01:45 AM
    You can also throw in that category:

- Conspiracy theories
    - Posting about "bashing" articles (when some of them aren't even that bad)
    - "Tools not toys"
    - "Who needs apps when you have a browser"
    10-11-13 01:52 AM
    or "there's a frickin' security hole with blackberry!"
    and the typical
    zomg blackberry fails.

Then makes a really big u-turn when its fixed. Like it never happened. One liner responses, etc etc, etc.
    10-11-13 02:04 AM
    So totally agree! Just as Eddy_Berry said above, I do wish these threads would be handled the same way as 'I'm leaving'. Just close the thread with a link to one of the many before it.

I'd also like to add a couple arguments/bash/statements to this list.

"BlackBerry lied to me when they said BB10 was coming to PlayBook, now I'll never trust them again"

"The PlayBook didn't have email when it came out"

Heck, anything having to do with the PlayBook outside the PlayBook forums. We all know it was a massive screwup. (I love my PlayBook btw)

And any argument that uses random reboots, battery life, or any other 10.0 complaint as if it was still a current issue.

Posted via CB10
    eddy_berry and Thunderbuck like this.
    10-11-13 02:05 AM
    There are a couple of types of threads that seem to show up these days...
    what you and the mod team should start doing it's closing all that F threads without explanation to anybody, and you gonna see how they gonna calm down, and if the user repeat the same S over and over, BAN that user without explanation,
    richardat and CMcRob like this.
    10-11-13 02:31 AM
    There are a couple of types of threads that seem to show up these days, and I just finally put my finger on why they bother me so much. Note, I'm not posting specific links. I don't think that's required, and I'm not trying to make specific users look bad, but I really DO want to get this off my chest.

The OPs on these threads typically start with some variation on "You know, I LOVE BlackBerry, and I really hate to see what's happening to them... BUT..." and then they go on in one of two directions:

1) What will we do/what platform will you go to when BlackBerry goes under? On the surface, this seems like a legitimate question, right? Here's why this one bugs me: imagine someone you care about--maybe a friend, maybe a co-worker, or a family member, and then imagine they've stepped out in the street and been hit by a bus. You go to the hospital, you stand by their bedside. The prospects are grim; there's a slim chance of recovery, but they may not survive and even if they do, they may be unrecognizable.

Then some stranger walks up to you and says, "Bummer. What are you gonna do when he dies?"
    NO. I used almost the exact same analogy, perhaps you read it, to express how inappropriate it is for people to bash people who talk about how bad the situation is. IE. a person who runs around screaming "shut up, shut up!! He's FINE! He's going to be OK! HATERS!! Nobody should be allowed to talk about this!!". It is annoying because it is a denial of reality, but ALSO, the fact is, this isn't a beloved relation - it's a phone....and a corporation - and we are consumers on a tech site. People should absolutely be allowed to talk about it. I do not believe it should be offensive to anyone, and if it is, I'd suggest they reevaluate their sensibilities - but if it is to you - no problem - don't read the forum/posts/threads. What you have no right to do, and what I think is rather asinine to do is proclaim: how insensitive you are being to my beloved phone/corporation/stock....you should not be allowed to say these things on a tech forum!!!

If one thinks your analogy is apt, again, I'd say their perspective is questionable, but regardless, you cannot dictate that everyone discuss things only as you wish. For hose who insist it is appropriate, I ask you....you're favorite laptop is on the fritz....the power supply is clearly dying...it's winking in and out...a stranger says "bummer....what are you going to use when it dies?" - is he some kind of insensitive monster?? Your friend's IPHONE dies....you walk up "bummer, what.are you going to use now?" HP leaves the consume market, your friend loves HP..he buys all HP...think it might be OK to say "bummer...what are you going to use now?"

...oh no...you'd never say that right?? You'd quietly give him a hug, maybe cry with him for a while...just be there for him..... come on people, it is a legitimate question.

Now, if you are still one of these people who is that emotional about BB....well that's OK! Again, your choice....but don't pretend that everyone should be like that, or that there is some kind of universal moral offense of insensitivity occurring, or that others shouldn't be allowed to talk about it if they like. If it's that inflammatory to you then ignore it.

At it's most innocent, this thread is insensitive. At it's most insidious, it does an excellent job of reminding everyone of just how badly BB is doing these days. Either way, it's demoralizing and pointless.
    see above

]
    2) HERE'S why BlackBerry failed!! This thread will very likely devolve into yet another endless discussion of BlackBerry's management and marketing, which to me is not unlike being at that friend's bedside, and having that stranger come in and say, "Bummer. I guess he should have been more careful..."
    See above. Again, you may well think the forum need follow your cultural (not every culture is like this) etiquette regarding a beloved relation (ie. no speaking about the situation, its implications, or practical repercussions.)...I think that etiquette a bit absurd - applied to a phone - if one thinks about it , but it is your choice. Don't insist on imposing it on everyone else. I shudder to think of what this forum would be if it became a place only for hand-holding, condolence, and teary-eyed hushed discussion of miraculous cures, or denials of reality.
    For one thing, BB's marketing and management have been raked over the coals in this forum repeatedly. Just visit the Armchair CEO subforum, and I'm pretty sure you'll find a comprehensive inventory of every mistake they've made. And a few they actually didn't. It's repetitive, and tiring.
    I agree. Threads on everything, and every topic, "positive" or "negative" are repeated over and over. I find it repetitive and tiring....that doesn't mean the entire forum must stop, or that I can insist they stop. That's up to each poster to decide. If they are tired of discussing it, they can personally stop discussing it - not whine about others.

Second, let's say your insight is brilliant, your research is perfect, and you have somehow been able to actually go back in time, attend every management and marketing meeting, and you have volumes of hard data. Even if you've somehow hit upon EXACTLY where BB went wrong, guess what? It won't change anything NOW.
    I ALREADY DID MONTHS AGO!!! (ba-doom boom! LOL) I still repeat or chime in when in when I feel like it, but often I don't...I regularly see things I said long ago, repeated or suggested, or observed.....that's never going to stop, and again, if people want to talk about it, more power to them. That's what a forum is for. Sometimes lately I find I keep using "as I said long ago" or something to that effect coming out naturally, sometimes I stop and wonder if that will be taken as "rubbing it in"....well maybe, maybe not, I realize that I can't worry about how each person will take it, and moreover, there is reason I'm saying it (multiple reasons - indicate I'm not jumping on bandwagon, changing my tune, reinforce that I think it was evident, etc)

In any case, it indeed won't change anything. No discussion of anything historical will change what happened. Should all discussion of past events stop? Of course not....it is:
    1.interesting
    2.informative
    3.potentially predictive

Again, if you do not wish to rehash it (and this I sympathize with) then don't - but this forum isn't your dinner table, you can't decide when and what every member must address.
    Last edited by richardat; 10-11-13 at 09:04 AM.
    rnhld, notfanboy, Etios and 19 others like this.
    10-11-13 02:38 AM
    what you and the mod team should start doing it's closing all that F threads without explanation to anybody, and you gonna see how they gonna calm down, and if the user repeat the same S over and over, BAN that user without explanation,
    Yes. Or there should just be one continuous thread, with Thunderbuck as moderator. He will simply say "I tire of the last topic - closed. NOW we will discuss X - only opinions Y, Z are permissible." He will outline how each topic/opinion may be expressed.
    m1a1mg, JeepBB, nduka144m and 1 others like this.
    10-11-13 02:48 AM

-when is vine coming?
    -OS7 is better than BB10
    -BB10 is better than OS7

Posted via CB10
    And this ladies and gentleman shows the importance of auto correct and grammar.
    *shouldn't

Posted via CB10
    10-11-13 02:51 AM
    And this ladies and gentleman shows the importance of auto correct and grammar.
    *shouldn't

Posted via CB10
    Hmm... I took that as sarcasm instead of a typo. Well, if it was intentional or accidental we all knew what he meant. :-)

Posted via CB10
    paper_monkey likes this.
    10-11-13 03:03 AM
    Toxic topics keep getting brought up in new threads and they're never shut down...
    10-11-13 03:04 AM
    Posted via CB10
    10-11-13 03:42 AM
    Unless you go down the list of 80,000 threads, you don't know what has been talked about. If you see one that is a repeat, ignore it. Sure are a lot of rude and hateful people here.

Posted via CB10
    anon8091350 likes this.
    10-11-13 06:33 AM
    This has been going on and steadily increasing for at least two years now. Nothing has been done but some halfhearted attempt to shovel it all into Armchair CEO (and still keep the click traffic), which of course did nothing but embolden the trolls who have run wild since.

Too much Sam Rothstein.
    10-11-13 06:52 AM
    In simple words. Bandwagon mentality.

On crackberry. Everyone is a ****ing expert on tech.
    grover5 likes this.
    10-11-13 07:09 AM
    You can also throw in that category:

- Conspiracy theories
    - Posting about "bashing" articles (when some of them aren't even that bad)
    - "Tools not toys"
    - "Who needs apps when you have a browser"
    You left out a couple:

- Just wait until the next quarter when the <name of unreleased device> will be out
    - 10.2 is going to fix EVERYTHING
    - When will 10.2 be out anyway?
    - It is all the media's fault (a wholly owned conspiracy theory)
    10-11-13 07:15 AM
    you left out a couple:

- just wait until the next quarter when the <name of unreleased device> will be out
    - 10.2 is going to fix everything
    - when will 10.2 be out anyway?
    - it is all the media's fault (a wholly owned conspiracy theory)
    "if only they could market!!"
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-11-13 07:21 AM
    Realistically, every new thread topic that comes out today will have already been discussed. Should they just shut the site down then? Skip topics you're not interested in. Problem solved.
    richardat, Cashgap, JeepBB and 2 others like this.
    10-11-13 08:17 AM
    While I agree about the repetitive posts, I'll take flip-side of the argument. People are pissed off (rightly so) and these threads are simply those people venting their frustrations. I understand the anger as I have supported BlackBerry for years and I'm also an investor. As such, the repeated failures of management aggravate me to no end. Does posting here change anything? Of course not. But for those of us who've invested in and supported this company, it's simply an outlet.

Posted via CB10
    richardat likes this.
    10-11-13 08:27 AM
    Sorry you feel that way .
    Having said that i think its in really poor taste to compare a company struggling and failing to someone struck by a car.
    My brother was on a ventilator for three months after he was tboned by a semi that kind of comparison is stupid, shortsighted and quite pointless. Do us all a favor and dont compare some tech company to a relative or significant other. That comparison has no value and hold no water...
    On the flip side for every thread like the ones you mention there is another just like the one youve created.
    There was a time when people were critical and were called trolls for it. Now that the dust is settling were starting to see many of them were pretty close to target with their observations.

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB, JeepBB, mikeo007 and 8 others like this.
    10-11-13 08:29 AM
    Listen buddy, don't blame the user base for the lack of positivity on topics concerning blackberry.

What do you expect them to discuss?

What was the last tangible piece of good news a blackberry user has received?
    10-11-13 08:40 AM
    I participated in the Apple iOS 7 beta (I'm registered as a developer) and there were lots of repetitive threads on the MacRumors iOS 7 forum, believe me. And someone would always chime in about it: "Do we really need another thread about how ugly the icons are?"

I'll say here what I said there: this is a discussion forum. As long as people abide by the rules, they can talk about whatever they like. If the topic doesn't interest you, don't read it. But don't try to tell everybody else what they can and can't talk about.
    10-11-13 08:44 AM
123 123 ...