Begin Rant:

If I read one more "I'm not getting the phone I want now because QNX is right around the corner" I think I am gonna scream.

I really wish this site and others would stop perpetuating the idea that a QNX device will be available any time soon. Yes, they will be shown off at MWC, DevCon and the other conferences starting after the first of the year but will not be final and may even be behind glass or not have power to them because they wont be done. RIM will get them more or less ready by next spring, and the carriers will test in late spring and summer and we MAY get them starting this time next year.

How do I know this? This is the nature of the beast. The device we are now lusting over because they are finally here were SUPPOSED TO BE released almost a year ago. There have been some refinements since then but they are basically the same devices. Between delays within RIM and carrier testing they have been delayed almost a year.

Even if RIM "rushes" the QNX devices that just means maybe, just maybe, we will see one next spring; but I would not hold my breath. The fact that there are test devices floating around means NOTHING. There have been test devices/pics/renderings for the Bold 9900 almost since the Bold 9000 three years ago.

To those of you with an upgrade and/or a hankering for a new device, pick up your choice of BB7 device and be happy with it. QNX will get here when it gets here there is no point in waiting for the legend of what a QNX phone MIGHT be when you can be enjoying a vastly superior product to the one in your hand.

/RANT

Sorry, just had to get that out of my system...

(MODS feel free to move this if it is in the wrong forum, I didn't see one just for rants)
    09-19-11 10:13 PM
    No one on this forum is waiting, most of us own a 9900.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-19-11 10:23 PM
    Why would you tell anyone to buy another outdated slow *** blackberry. Tell them to wait and hope Rim doesn't have total fail like Storm and Playbook!
    09-19-11 10:28 PM
    No one on this forum is waiting, most of us own a 9900.

Most of the active posters yes but plenty of those on the fence seem to have this mindset as do a number of people who have chosen not to get the Bold since they think QNX is so close.

Why would you tell anyone to buy another outdated slow *** blackberry. Tell them to wait and hope Rim doesn't have total fail like Storm and Playbook!
    Because it's NOT outdated OR slow .. and yes the first QNX devices will have the same issues as the first gen stoms did, hopefully not as bad but they will still be there. Look at the playbook?
    Itzdatdude likes this.
    09-19-11 10:46 PM
    What's the point of your post? To spread idiotic negative criticism without any substantial content?

Please leave this forum if you have no constructive comments.

To all current and potential BB users out there, personally, I love my Bold, it's great for my needs. I have a twin brother (no joke) who has an iphone, and asked him what he uses it for: calling, texting, weather, web. That's it. And my Bold does all that very well. Ok his screen is bigger (lol), but my keyboard is WAY better. Weather is the same, and webkit runs nicely on my phone. BBM is still key with the gf. Oh ya, and better battery life :-)
    09-19-11 10:52 PM
    Begin Rant:

If I read one more "I'm not getting the phone I want now because QNX is right around the corner" I think I am gonna scream.

I really wish this site and others would stop perpetuating the idea that a QNX device will be available any time soon. Yes, they will be shown off at MWC, DevCon and the other conferences starting after the first of the year but will not be final and may even be behind glass or not have power to them because they wont be done. RIM will get them more or less ready by next spring, and the carriers will test in late spring and summer and we MAY get them starting this time next year...
    Yes and no.
    I agree that a QNX Bold will not show up until next year this time (at the earliest) but the full touch screen QNX phones will certainly be out first quarter 2012.
    So yeah, if someone wants a QNX phone with physical keyboard... they might as well get the 9900, because it's gonna be a long wait.
    09-19-11 11:01 PM
    Yes and no.
    I agree that a QNX Bold will not show up until next year this time (at the earliest) but the full touch screen QNX phones will certainly be out first quarter 2012.
    So yeah, if someone wants a QNX phone with physical keyboard... they might as well get the 9900, because it's gonna be a long wait.
    Nope gotta disagree. RIM would love to see it come out Q1 but various issues will cause it's eventual delay to MAYBE next spring at the earliest. The system is broken and the sad thing is RIM doesn't have the clout to actually fix it (yet). I really hope that changes and the QNX devices give RIM back some of the clout they once had, but I'm not holding my breath and I would suggest no one else do so either.
    Chrisy likes this.
    09-19-11 11:07 PM
    QNX will drop sooner than what most realists expect....Catapulting RIM back into the thick of things.

09-19-11 11:19 PM
    QNX will drop sooner than what most realists expect....Catapulting RIM back into the thick of things.

You can dream if you want to but I just don't buy it. I wish I was wrong believe me but it just doesn't add up.
    09-19-11 11:36 PM
    Or perhaps later, because it seems to me most people think when RIM says Q1 release, they mean "Sometime between January and March" - but given that RIM's fiscal year end is February 28, Q1 is actually March - May. So, end of MAY would still qualify as Q1 release, no delays. And frankly, I'm expecting many carriers to stretch that into June or July, assuming RIM makes their Q1 projected date.
    09-20-11 12:00 AM
    Just got 9900, about an hour ago , simply because do not see RIM offering QNX qwerty phone in year or so.
    Well, if it comes earlier with 9000/99xxx form qwerty, good for all of us.
    09-20-11 12:17 AM
    Or perhaps later, because it seems to me most people think when RIM says Q1 release, they mean "Sometime between January and March" - but given that RIM's fiscal year end is February 28, Q1 is actually March - May. So, end of MAY would still qualify as Q1 release, no delays. And frankly, I'm expecting many carriers to stretch that into June or July, assuming RIM makes their Q1 projected date.
    And that's a big assumption

And yes you're right most people think of end of March as being the end of Q1.

I agree that the carriers will also push it back further than whatever RIM manages to make. These devices were basically ready the beginning of summer and they took the summer to test them and now look at AT&T.... November 20 for the Bold 9900, the device every other carrier got the end of august/beginning of September...
    09-20-11 12:19 AM
    Why so annoyed by people having their opinion on something that will one day be offered? Last I knew this is an open forum.

I mean lets not focus on the trolls that have been reaping havoc on here for quite sometime. No lets focus on people talking about QNX and they may or may not get one when It comes out.

Chrisy likes this.
    09-20-11 12:36 AM
    Why so annoyed by people having their opinion on something that will one day be offered? Last I knew this is an open forum.
    Because those same people will then complain about how laggy and slow their existing devices are compared to their friends who updated; and then when QNX comes out and it isn't what they built up in their minds that it will be then we will hear them whine again.

The point is if you want a device (weather it is the Bold 90xx, Torch 89xxx, or the Droid Bionic), and you can get it now then you should unless you have very solid info (by which I mean carrier press releases with release dates) that something you want more is coming very soon then you should get it.

Waiting on a phantom phone that won't exist in the wild (by which I mean in the hands of real consumers) for 9 months to a year makes no sense. You spend a year waiting on something that MIGHT be, and and end up disappointed when it finally shows up (first generation tech) OR get what is available now and enjoy it for the next 9 months to a year.

I'm not saying that every Storm, Bold, Curve, Torch, or Tour owner out there should definitely upgrade to a new BB7 device, but if you are one of these people and have an upgrade and/or are really frustrated with the device you have and the only or primary thing holding you back is QNX you should not let that stop you.
    Itzdatdude likes this.
    09-20-11 01:32 AM
    I'm not sure I've ever understood why it is that people feel the uncontrollable urge to be the "first" to have the newest and hyped things. So you were first, and honestly, no one cares. Enjoy BB7 while it's here. QNX will likely be bugged and jinky just as every new platform is. Best advice is to wait 3-4 months after the actual "release" of the new QNX devices so the OS fixes can be made. In the meantime, you can be using your perfectly sufficient OS7 devices rather than pulling your hair out and posting redundant posts on the forum about everything "wrong" with QNX in its birth. Your blood pressure will thank you.
    Itzdatdude and YourMobileGuru like this.
    09-20-11 02:54 AM
    Good rant. Always a good thing to get stuff off the system/mind/chest.

09-20-11 04:36 AM
    You're right, i did go ahead and upgrade. I went with the Droid Bionic. There is a lot I dislike about it, but there is a lot to like. I come back to crackberry 3 times a day hoping. To find a hint or rumor about my next phone. I want a BB! But I have more and more need to get on the internet. After using LTE (slow in Cols, 12mbps) there's no going back to .3 mbps. I can live with the bugs to get BB profiles, pc backups, hybrids, hopefully real push email. But I'm tired of excuses. We cant spec it up because battery. My Bionic with extended battery just came home with 40% battery after a 14 hr day. OS7 devices are a huge step in the right direction. I feel the need for speed.

YourMobileGuru and Chrisy like this.
    09-20-11 06:42 AM
    I got an Android as I wait for QNX. Totally agree with the OP. If you want to upgrade, upgrade. I'm so excited about QNX too, but I'm not going to wait with a broken down 9630. Even when QNX BB is out, I'm waiting a year to get it to make sure it's smooth.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 09-20-11 at 07:02 AM.
    09-20-11 06:56 AM
    the correct reason for propagating the purchase of bb7 phones should be that RIM is bloody slow in everything and you can start counting down 2 years from the time rim says qnx phones will be here "very soon"
    09-20-11 07:03 AM
    Yeah, RIM is the gopher turtle of smartphone. But I like turtles, and the new BlackBerry devices are definitely a good step. I'm happy with them.
    09-20-11 07:10 AM

The OS7 devices are anything but slow. Thanks for playing though. We are all truly blessed to read your comments on these forums.
    TgeekB likes this.
    09-20-11 07:17 AM
    The OS7 devices are anything but slow. Thanks for playing though. We are all truly blessed to read your comments on these forums.
    Agree. I was one who wasn't going to wait or complain about QNX not being out yet so I got the T2. great phone, fast browser, large screen. Just as good as Android for my needs.
    danimalchil likes this.
    09-20-11 07:40 AM
    Im waiting..

for sprint to restock their 9930s
    09-20-11 08:08 AM
    Waiting on a phantom phone that won't exist in the wild (by which I mean in the hands of real consumers) for 9 months to a year makes no sense. You spend a year waiting on something that MIGHT be, and and end up disappointed when it finally shows up (first generation tech) OR get what is available now and enjoy it for the next 9 months to a year.
    9 months? For RIM's sake, they better have their QNX phone out in 5 or 6 months max, or they're in for a bigger world of hurt.

You may find it ridiculous for people to wait for this new QNX phone, but the alternative will be worse for RIM - they'll just move to Android/iPhone. And if people are going to be disappointed in the QNX phone when it's released then it's over for RIM - because the OS has always been the thing holding the BB back and a failure with a new OS will mean there's no hope.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    09-20-11 08:25 AM
    9 months? For RIM's sake, they better have their QNX phone out in 5 or 6 months max, or they're in for a bigger world of hurt.

You may find it ridiculous for people to wait for this new QNX phone, but the alternative will be worse for RIM - they'll just move to Android/iPhone. And if people are going to be disappointed in the QNX phone when it's released then it's over for RIM - because the OS has always been the thing holding the BB back and a failure with a new OS will mean there's no hope.
    RIM will come out with a QNX phone - fact
    It will not be tomorrow - fact
    It will take a while to work the bugs out - fact
    Solution - buy a BB OS7 phone for now which are great phones
    Alternative solution - Buy an Android, extra batteries, turn off social media updates, turn off 3G, buy the extra data plan.
    RIM will survive - fact

Just trying to lighten up the RIM is dead hysteria.
    Itzdatdude and elphie28 like this.
    09-20-11 08:47 AM
76 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD