Meh. I said "mediocre" lunch. Fast food isn't even on the radar. Not to get into class warfare but a BB is a luxury, not a necessity (and if it is your employer should be footing the bill). If money is tight how can one justify paying for a spendy toy like a BB?

For the record, my BB data plan with AT&T is $30 for unlimited, not $50.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-23-08 08:05 PM
    $10 for a program for a CELL PHONE is pretty outrageous IMHO. I understand the time and effort that goes into writing applications, but still I have ringandvibe because it was on sale. Would I pay 10 bux to have my phone do what it should right out of the box? **** NO! When charging for an app, the time spent developing it should be considered less then what it actually does! Anyone with me?
    12-23-08 08:20 PM
    Meh. I said "mediocre" lunch. Fast food isn't even on the radar. Not to get into class warfare but a BB is a luxury, not a necessity (and if it is your employer should be footing the bill). If money is tight how can one justify paying for a spendy toy like a BB?

For the record, my BB data plan with AT&T is $30 for unlimited, not $50.

I agree with you, unfortunately with nearly 20 million blackberry users that is becoming less true. Kind of how Nextel marketed towards the business clients and rural individuals with there iDEN service. Now its being a much asked for commodity by the younger crowd than business. Although it still serves both purposes just as equally.

How do you pay $30 a month through AT&T?

Do you get unlimited internet/text messaging? I may have to call AT&T up tonight and alter my plan then. They originally told me for all that its only $30 in the store and my bill is $50. Maybe then I can upgrade to 900 minutes and my argument over its affordability might be more justified. I can afford it but moneys tight to be spending on small $5 and $10 apps which add up over time.
    12-23-08 08:37 PM
    hard core techi? then why dual boot with the easiest linux os out there?... Why Not Debian something to get you thinking?
    If you could read it says "I hope you" indicating the statment is not regarding myself.

As for using ubuntu against debian, being that ubuntu is debian based, why bother?
    Personally I enjoy things that work not things I have to constantly tweak and fix.

12-23-08 08:38 PM
    I pay $30 for unlimited BB data (for my wife's RAZR it's $15), and we each pay $5 for 200 messages per month. That's only $55 per month for two unlimited data plans plus messaging. If they're banging you for $50 for just data on one BB I'd say they're ripping you off.

12-23-08 08:45 PM
    Alright well appreciate the heads up I am calling them right now to fix my account. Now I am angry. Being snowed in for a week doesn't help I hope I don't explode.

I guess I should be thankful you informed me.

Cheers
    12-23-08 08:52 PM
    Cheers back atcha! Good luck!

12-23-08 08:54 PM
    Yeah 50 bucks may be with tethering but I'm fairly certain every carrier is 30 bucks for the berry plan. Vzw is 45 for bb+tethering that's the only way I can imagine you'd be paying 50.

12-23-08 10:00 PM
    Well I'm new to the crack.... but I've been developing and selling software for years.

I'm about to transition from the iPhone to the Storm. Trust me, I've downloaded 100's of free and cheap aps, and most have been deleted.

$99 for Garmin Mobile? Damn skippy, sign me up, I bill at $1,500 a day and getting lost costs me time, and time is money. So there is value. Just like I find value with $4 cup of coffee from starbucks from time to time. If I'm not in the mood, I don't buy, it's pretty simple.

Any decent app will have a trial period, you don't see the value, don't buy it.

There's a little thing called intellectual property folks, and it has value, if it didn't guys learning how to write code for a living wouldn't be able to pay your bills. The sooner a developer realizes how it works in the real world, the better off he'll be.....

Dan in Dallas.....
    12-23-08 11:14 PM
    if you don't want it... don't pay for it. if an app costs money, its worth it most of the time.

I've downloaded 100's of free and cheap aps, and most have been deleted.
    ditto, it's a shame really. but you get what you pay for...
    Last edited by ninja please; 12-23-08 at 11:42 PM.
    12-23-08 11:39 PM
    @hostage,

If you find "value" at starbucks you most certainly don't understand the english language, which leads me to doubt your ability to understand intelectual property.

Perhaps this will boggle your mind, public domain to intelectual property? Explain please.

12-24-08 03:27 AM
    intellectual*

gosh.
    12-24-08 03:52 AM
    My rant...perhaps too honest. If you don't like spending $10 for it don't buy it. This website is not holding anyone hostage to buy the thing it's just there to show a good product that might be cool for someone to have if they wanted it. If you don't then just pass over it, you don't need to make your frustrations known because honestly I could care less what you or anyone else does with his or her money. No hard feelings or anything just saying. Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah
    12-24-08 05:00 AM
    ...you most certainly don't understand the english language...intelectual property.
    The irony is so delicious.
    12-24-08 08:50 AM
    Sorry but I just haven't gotten a grip on paying 2 dollars for something online. Seems too much of a pain in the rear end to put a credit card through for 2 dollars. Why bother. I've seen lots of apps on this board that I would like to try but think its silly to charge 5 bucks on a credit card.
    There was a guy on here last week charging 2.99 for some dingbat app. The thing was released and all buggy. People complained in his thread and he would re-release a new version with a fix. ****, that's just paying for someones program writing training.

12-24-08 07:59 PM
    Well then spend all your time makin a super app that does everything include make your lunch and then give it away for free. See how it feels on your end then. All the better apps cost money. Y? Cause someone spent their time on it and should be rightfully compensated 4 it.

Either make it yourself or don't complain when someone charges for what they made.
    I also agree. I am all for making great apps affordable, but at the same time, we live in a society controlled by the free market. If someone decides that a particular app is worth $X and they are willing to pay for it ... so be it. Either use what is "free" and like it or pay the $X for what you want ... but you can't have it both ways. If people aren't willing to do either, they should sit their butts at a computer and come up with their own stuff.

Just my $.02
    12-24-08 08:19 PM
    If you can download a song for 99 cents then there is no way the vast majority of these apps that do simple things should be more than 1-2 dollars. Again, Most of the stuff in the iphone store are a buck or two so BB apps selling for $10 is just taking advantage of the situation. Especially when it is something extrememly basic like a popup to tell you an email came or changing the colour of the light or making your phone vibrate.

You can argue both sides easily, time is money and so on and I hope for everyone that once the app store is launched the greater exposure will lead to more volume for the developers and things will be a buck or two, until then imho many are not worth what they charge.
    12-24-08 08:34 PM
    This topic comes up quite often and the free marketers and the
    freeloaders are simply never going to agree.

I currently have 10 apps on my phone that I paid for. Why?
    Because I felt they were useful and filled a specific need. Seeing
    as I can't write them myself I was all too happy to pay the
    developer that did.

I also have 10 that are free and I appreciate those developers as
    well. What really bothers me is the mindset of people that
    think someone else's isn't of any value or that the user should
    be able to set the value of that time. It does not work that way.

If I were a developer I'd say the h3ll with BB as a matter of
    principle. All of this b itching over apps that are usually less
    than $10.

Also. Yesterday, Aerize gave away 1000 copies of it Email/SMS
    app.
    I wonder how many people who got that for free will
    support that developer by purchasing other apps from them.
    Not many is my guess. Way to show the developer support
    and appreciation.
    12-24-08 08:52 PM
    @hostage,

If you find "value" at starbucks you most certainly don't understand the english language, which leads me to doubt your ability to understand intelectual property.

Perhaps this will boggle your mind, public domain to intelectual property? Explain please.

So tempting .... but no ....

Pffft... whatever troll enjoy the nog.....
    Last edited by hostage46; 12-24-08 at 09:14 PM.
    12-24-08 09:09 PM

So there is value. Just like I find value with $4 cup of coffee from starbucks from time to time. If I'm not in the mood, I don't buy, it's pretty simple.

Dan in Dallas.....

Dan, not trying to argue here as you appear to be an intelligent person but . . do you really find "value" in the $4 cup of Starbucks coffee, or is it the experience of Starbucks that you value?
    12-24-08 09:35 PM
    I am a firm believer in the fact that if something is free, it has no perceived value. I would rather pay for an app that works flawlessly and effectively than download a free app that is full of bugs or does not do the intended tasks.
    12-24-08 09:40 PM
    Dan, not trying to argue here as you appear to be an intelligent person but . . do you really find "value" in the $4 cup of Starbucks coffee, or is it the experience of Starbucks that you value?
    I don't believe the two are separable. You don't just go to a Starbucks to have a paper cup of tasty liquid thrown at you. Of course you're buying into the whole experience, and a Starbucks franchise that can't deliver the whole package will not survive. And from where I sit, $4 for a little pampering, a nice place to sit and savor that taste-filled paper cup...cheap at the price. Ditto for a BB app that does something I want. Life's too short to quibble over a few bucks. Pony up and enjoy, or do without.

12-24-08 09:58 PM
    I am a firm believer in the fact that if something is free, it has no perceived value. I would rather pay for an app that works flawlessly and effectively than download a free app that is full of bugs or does not do the intended tasks.
    I don't think anyone wouldn't have that preference. The problem is that those aren't the only choices. There are a lot of free apps out there that do their intended tasks, are nut full of bugs and are free.

What I think google and apple have done is to inspire users to do the work to develop some of these apps - some free, some not.

It would benefit RIM to encourage a community of developers that would enhance the usability and the application options of the device.

12-24-08 10:30 PM
    I don't believe the two are separable. You don't just go to a Starbucks to have a paper cup of tasty liquid thrown at you. Of course you're buying into the whole experience, and a Starbucks franchise that can't deliver the whole package will not survive. And from where I sit, $4 for a little pampering, a nice place to sit and savor that taste-filled paper cup...cheap at the price. Ditto for a BB app that does something I want. Life's too short to quibble over a few bucks. Pony up and enjoy, or do without.

Well said Spinny.... the $4 cup of coffee is a component of the overall value. When the place is mobbed with soccer mom's and the line 10 deep, I do a 180and hit the McD's or DD, coffe is OK, but not worth the wait or hecktic atmosphere. Just like I favor American over Delta, even though the price might be more on AA, I have status so I get a better seat. But if it's more then a few hundred bucks, I can't justify the added cost and suck it up back in 30E.

As I've grown a few gray hairs, I've come to where I am willing to pay for my percieved value. And it came up here once, underprice you're software, and it's value goes in the same direction, it's a fools folley to waste energy on prospect who isn't going to pay. I've learned that the best sales guys qualify early and walk away when they don't see percieved value in the eyes of the customer.
    12-24-08 10:50 PM
    I don't think anyone wouldn't have that preference. The problem is that those aren't the only choices. There are a lot of free apps out there that do their intended tasks, are nut full of bugs and are free.

What I think google and apple have done is to inspire users to do the work to develop some of these apps - some free, some not.

It would benefit RIM to encourage a community of developers that would enhance the usability and the application options of the device.

Fair enough... As a new crack user, my perception is that BB is not a tool of the masses. I've seen them more and more while travelling, up signifigantly over the last 12 months anecdotally. But in general, it's biz users not the masses as in the Apple product.

The iPhone app store is pretty slick, but the BB devices have so much funtionality built into them, is there really a need? How would RIM benefit by going the way of apple? It would appease a small minorty of crackheads who endlessly twiddle with thier devices (guilty as charged, typing on xmas eve on a forum), but to most, it's a phone right?
    12-24-08 10:59 PM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD