Netflix works, Istagram works, Google Earth works, Clash of Clans works, Tiny Deathstar works, Angry Birds Star Wars 2 works, Youtube works, IMBD works, the Chive works, Candy Crush works, Subway surfer works, Temple Run works.. Apps ive tested and have kept.
    thos work as .apk or sideloaded or what?
    11-18-13 10:35 AM
    playbookster... you keep saying there are lots of apps that don't work. Your argument would sound better if you named names instead of just repeating over and over there are lots that don't work.

I know that there are some that don't work. And ones that do "work", but still don't have full functionality. Like Candy Crush, you can't buy from the store.

The point is, right now we don't have access to a full Android ecosystem, maybe in a few months we will. So WHY would a consumer want a BlackBerry in six months? Z10 will be a year old, and most likely EOL. BlackBerry has been more reserved in production and Carriers in stocking of other devices, so you aren't going to see anymore "fire sales" like you do today with the Z10. Why would a consumer pay more for a BlackBerry with "less" hardware, to access the same Android Platform? Is the HUB enough of a reason for consumers? Is having a different UI "skin" going to be enough?
    because now Z10 is CHEAPER than same specs Android.
    Show me similar specs android wfor the same price?!
    damien kupuku likes this.
    11-18-13 10:38 AM
    i replied in the android apk apps that dont work in 10.2.1 forum (i paraphrase the title).

there is a nice list there... bnut since then there r a tonne more that dont work.
    11-18-13 10:47 AM
    I like to tinker, I'm a tech geek; so I get that it is cool/fun/interesting to have Google Play on BB and be able to use Android apps, but at this point why as a Bold 9900 user, would I get another BB device to run Android apps on? I think this is a bad path for BlackBerry to take, especially for those looking to upgrade/get first smartphone. When they look at the major options (iOS, Android, BB, WP) and they see that BB is lacking the apps, but the community is touting Google Play on BB as the "solution" why not just get a (cheaper) Android phone? Remember, 90% of the population is consumers and they just want it to go/work. They don't want to tinker.

I love my Bold keyboard and can't imagine having to use a screen one, but I have to be honest that the Android offerings are doing a lot more these days to perk my interest. I can't really do much until April when I hit the two year mark (of my 3 year contact) and I'm hopeful by then BB has something to wow me into doing an upgrade to them.

Just my 2c
    9900 with a year and half left on contract ... you really are a late adopter.
    11-18-13 10:52 AM
    I like to tinker, I'm a tech geek; so I get that it is cool/fun/interesting to have Google Play on BB and be able to use Android apps, but at this point why as a Bold 9900 user, would I get another BB device to run Android apps on? I think this is a bad path for BlackBerry to take, especially for those looking to upgrade/get first smartphone. When they look at the major options (iOS, Android, BB, WP) and they see that BB is lacking the apps, but the community is touting Google Play on BB as the "solution" why not just get a (cheaper) Android phone? Remember, 90% of the population is consumers and they just want it to go/work. They don't want to tinker.

I love my Bold keyboard and can't imagine having to use a screen one, but I have to be honest that the Android offerings are doing a lot more these days to perk my interest. I can't really do much until April when I hit the two year mark (of my 3 year contact) and I'm hopeful by then BB has something to wow me into doing an upgrade to them.

Just my 2c
    Because BB10 has security, and pretty sweet touch controls.

I'd much rather a BB10 with google play, than simply google play.
    It's like the best of both worlds.
    And when the runtime is good enough that the apps run equally as well, then its a no brainer.

I find android seems overly complicated, and out dated. I know its not, but that's the impression it gives.
    PLus, the BB10 browser is the best there is, the llittle red light is hard to live without, the micro hdmi is pretty handy, etc.
    these are jus tmy preferences, I'm not trying to sell my thoughts. Agree or don't, I'm not here to debate this one.
    damien kupuku and mnc76 like this.
    11-18-13 11:07 AM
    Well, just to add a few things....10.2.1 has greater support for android apps. People who have loaded the 10.2.1 leak have said that android apps run really good, and they can be loaded without being converted to a .bar file. So because of this, my Z30 can run any android app without issue. I currently have 10.2, and I'm running Netflix, Instagram and a bunch of other android apps, and they work great. I'm looking forward to getting 10.2.1, so I can load remaining android apps.

So to the question about why would I want to buy a BB? Well, to me that's a pretty simple question. If an Android phone and a Blackberry phone can run the same apps, then that cancels itself out. Now we're looking at the OS as the deciding factor. I've used androids before, and I have to say that BB10 is a far better OS. Than if you add the qwerty factor with the Q10 and upcoming Q30, spending the extra money on a higher quality OS and having the option of having the best keyboard in a phone, I think it's a pretty easy decision to make. I would definitely rather spend the extra money to have a BB device, ESPECIALLY knowing that I can run any android app now.
    Not so fast ... why would a BBOS owner like OP want to buy a BB10 device or for that matter anyone unfamiliar with BB10 period.

The best bet to get these APK apps is to have a android tablet (nexus 7 preferred) and transfer the Apps to your BB10. Not really hard to do but still not the same as having Google Play.

You say that you prefer BB10 over Android. Android on my Nexus 7 is a pretty solid experience - soon to be improved by version 4.4.

Keyboard - Yes I agree with you. If you are happy with the 9900 and feel the need to retain that functionality , BlackBerry with Android apps is your best choice.

I have to make this choice in the next six months as well. Right now I am looking at either the Q10 or Moto X / Nexus 5. I have tried the keyboard on a Z10 and iphone and am equally inept on both. If there is a Q30 ... that might be my phone.

PS... the BB10 browser lacks text reflow so until it does it can not be called the best browser.
    Alphax45 likes this.
    11-18-13 11:13 AM
    Because BB10 has security, and pretty sweet touch controls.

I'd much rather a BB10 with google play, than simply google play.
    It's like the best of both worlds.
    And when the runtime is good enough that the apps run equally as well, then its a no brainer.

I find android seems overly complicated, and out dated. I know its not, but that's the impression it gives.
    PLus, the BB10 browser is the best there is, the llittle red light is hard to live without, the micro hdmi is pretty handy, etc.
    these are jus tmy preferences, I'm not trying to sell my thoughts. Agree or don't, I'm not here to debate this one.
    I agree that to me the UI for BB10 seems pretty simple to use compared to Android. But I've read several reviews by "professionals", and they all claim that the BB10 interface it cumbersome and hard to figure out. So I guess it is a matter of perspective.
    11-18-13 11:24 AM
    No its not a bad path.

The App gap has been toxic for BBRY, those still using a Bold probably dont realise just how toxic.

If you like BB10 and BBRY quality but want all the Apps your mates have got that arent native on the BBRY then picking up and Android app makes perfect sense.

At launch they needed either all the big name apps available as native BB10 apps OR they needed to provide access to Android apps.

Now its too late to make any real difference to their sales.
    11-18-13 11:34 AM
    Piggybacking on Android ecosystem is desperation move for BB. However, at this point, desperation move is the only move they have got as far as "app gap" problem goes. For people who never knew BB, or had given up on BB, getting a new BB at this point to enjoy Android apps running on top of a "player" does not make sense.
    They have to be desperate. They have no other choice at this point

Sent from my Z30
    11-18-13 11:38 AM
    Having a BlackBerry Z10 is what I want to own, not an Android.

Being able to download some of their apps is a plus to my BlackBerry purchase.
    11-18-13 11:45 AM
    I view it as, I'm glad the option is there but no it doesn't end the app gap. Like others have said, BlackBerry may not have any other choices left. At the end of the day u prefer the BB10 UI and the lack of the major apps hasn't been quite a huge deal to me...so now that the runtime is being upgraded it will be nice to have those apps even though the have a completely different interface to them.

I still do see why many people would just buy an Android device though but if you do already happen to like BB10, having the android apps doesn't hurt

Posted via CB10
    11-18-13 11:59 AM
    What average user wants to deal with all of this?!
    jh07 likes this.
    11-18-13 12:08 PM
    What average user wants to deal with all of this?!
    We don't know how it will be done in the official release. I have a feeling they are just making it easier for android Devs to bring their apps to bb10 through bbworld. They will no longer need to port their apps, they can just submit the apk and our bb10 phones will run them.

Sent from my Z30
    11-18-13 12:10 PM
    We don't know how it will be done in the official release. I have a feeling they are just making it easier for android Devs to bring their apps to bb10 through bbworld. They will no longer need to port their apps, they can just submit the apk and our bb10 phones will run them.

Sent from my Z30
    I hope it comes to this. In the new road map native Android apps will be supported. This is a major feat. Huge stepping stone.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-13 12:12 PM
    I agree that to me the UI for BB10 seems pretty simple to use compared to Android. But I've read several reviews by "professionals", and they all claim that the BB10 interface it cumbersome and hard to figure out. So I guess it is a matter of perspective.
    read the next sentence. you know the one where i said "I know its Not"
    11-18-13 12:35 PM
    FYI. Just so you know Google didn't make these apps. Devs made these apps. BlackBerry is supporting devs whether you can accept that or not.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-13 12:43 PM
    i replied in the android apk apps that dont work in 10.2.1 forum (i paraphrase the title).

there is a nice list there... bnut since then there r a tonne more that dont work.
    There are many more that work than those that don't.
    Did you realize though that we as BlackBerry users can run more android apps that roughly 50% of android users?
    At this point, BlackBerry 10, running 10.2.1 can run more android apps than almost half of all android users.
    Dashboards | Android Developers
    according to android, only just over half of all active android phones are running jellybean, with 1/4 of the rest still on gingerbread.

You have to look at the WHOLE PICTURE.

OUR BB10's ARE BETTER ANDROID PHONES THAN MOST ANDROID PHONES
    missing_K-W likes this.
    11-18-13 12:47 PM
    amjass12 What are the apps that you are referring to that do not work? Name your top 3 that do not work?

thats a fair point. and those r two huge apps that work!! nevertheless, there r apps just as big that dont work!! they r not as big in a popularity sense, but for my needs they r huge.. and there r justa tonne of other apps that are just not working.
    11-18-13 12:49 PM
    A tonne. Of apps not working? My trusted CB members are claiming a huge success rate. Nothing like a bit of exaggeration with the, " tonnes of apps not working "

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 11-18-13 at 01:32 PM.
    mnc76 likes this.
    11-18-13 12:52 PM

Just my 2c
    at the end of the day, for users like myself, APPS is NOT a big deal.. I want a device that works, feels, and operates like my Z10.
    but, you will always have the app market talks and apps and etc, so putting the google play store as your "app" system, and keeping the email, hub, look feel of BB10, you have the best device!
    11-18-13 12:55 PM
    Netflix works, Istagram works, Google Earth works, Clash of Clans works, Tiny Deathstar works, Angry Birds Star Wars 2 works, Youtube works, IMBD works, the Chive works, Candy Crush works, Subway surfer works, Temple Run works.. Apps ive tested and have kept.
    I wonder how to get youtube working? Do you mean a YouTube app? Or a web shortcut?
    11-18-13 12:55 PM
    I recall a couple of years ago,Rim gave all the elite bureaucrats a free phone to try and if they liked it ,it would be available to the public.They liked it ,I'm talking about China.In order to reach out to them ,and capture just a fraction of their market ,they need this.It's a work in progress and Chen could be the Man to tap this goldmine.
    BlackBerry needs a real push in China

Posted via CB10
    11-18-13 01:29 PM
    I wonder how to get youtube working? Do you mean a YouTube app? Or a web shortcut?
    The YouTube app needs Google services.
    The app will run, hit the video won't play.
    It must be a third party Web link.
    11-18-13 01:34 PM
    The YouTube app needs Google services.
    The app will run, hit the video won't play.
    It must be a third party Web link.
    Yeah, that's whats happened to me. The video doesn't want to load. So he is telling people YouTube works because he can use a website shortcut? What? It can't be!
    11-18-13 01:41 PM
    The answer to your question should be a no brainer for you; just buy an Android phone if you say you are tech geek and still confused. BlackBerry may be too complex for you.

Just my 2c
    11-18-13 01:43 PM
179 1234 ...