04-26-17 07:46 AM
157 123 ...
tools
    How can a company who doesn't really support its own operating system then EOL s its arguable most important software -Blackberry Blend-still be selling 3 bb10 phones on its website? Please BlackBerry can you take your head out of your collective arses and either support bb10 with regular updates and advertising or can the whole bb10 thing stop selling bb10 phones and concentrate on Android

Posted via CB10
    Bonnie Bonzai and andy957 like this.
    11-19-16 01:05 PM
    BlackBerry is in the business of selling software and hardware. Products come and go. Even though BB10 is EOL, there is still BlackBerry 10 hardware left to sell and those phones work just fine with BB10 as it is.
    11-19-16 02:01 PM
    Yeah I don't see an issue with it. I know the state of BB10 and I may still pick up another device or two. I'm happy with the functionality and realize I may not receive future support.

Posted via CB10
    BB-JAM215, Vistaus and BigBadWulf like this.
    11-19-16 02:52 PM
    I think the issue is how could BlackBerry possibly expect other companies to license and release new BB10 devices (as BlackBerry executives have said they are looking for) if the OS is not being developed upon. Who in their right mind would choose to license something that is continually falling behind the competition, or all the updating responsibilities fall upon the licensee? So there is no future of BB10 inside or outside of BlackBerry given their lack of real support. I expect BlackBerry will be forced to write off the majority BB10 devices in their inventory due to their lack of real support and no future roadmap commitment (like a commitment from BlackBerry is worth much anyways given their history of abandonment).

Posted via CB10
    andy957 and johnny_bravo72 like this.
    11-19-16 03:54 PM
    Moved to general discussion. This has nothing to do with leaks.

As mentioned, they still have inventory, and possibly a few potential customers. Why wouldn't they still offer BB10 products.

Settle, they are still developing the OS. Pretty unlikely they'll get anyone to license it for smartphone use though. Without apps, no software will be a commercial success in today's market.
    11-19-16 04:21 PM
    I don't fault anyone for selling existing inventory, best wishes to them in fact. As for the potential customers, well I would have to be up front and honest to them that while the physical device is fine, the software platform and ecosystem is a dead end so why would they buy something new that is already obsolete and unsupported by nearly every third-party vendor?

Plus, developing to most means adding new features, not just correcting security vulnerabilities. You wouldn't really call correcting bad plumbing in an apartment complex continued development; continue development would be putting in a new playground or swimming pool or something new and substantial that adds value.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-16 05:14 PM
    I don't fault anyone for selling existing inventory, best wishes to them in fact. As for the potential customers, well I would have to be up front and honest to them that while the physical device is fine, the software platform and ecosystem is a dead end so why would they buy something new that is already obsolete and unsupported by nearly every third-party vendor?

Plus, developing to most means adding new features, not just correcting security vulnerabilities. You wouldn't really call correcting bad plumbing in an apartment complex continued development; continue development would be putting in a new playground or swimming pool or something new and substantial that adds value.

Posted via CB10
    You are welcome to your opinion. It's my understanding 10.3.3 adds increased security, among other enhancements. Frankly, the subject has been beaten to death, along with that contained in the OP. I'd have closed the thread, but it is the OP's first post.
    11-19-16 07:10 PM
    Yes, this is a public company that still has inventory on its books. I haven't looked at the financials, but perhaps they have already written off some of the cost of the phone already. Since they have it sitting there, why not try and sell it. What company would just say, "hey ... I have inventory, and there are some that will buy it, but because it upsets some of my existing customers that I'm not actively updating the s/w, I will take them all off the market." It just doesn't work that way. Business is business and they have existing inventory that some are still buying. Government and financial services (including professional services firms) continue to use BlackBerry. Yes, the numbers have reduced, but there are still quite a few that do use it.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    11-19-16 08:23 PM
    It seems like dishonest business practice to pretend that you are updating your operating system so that you can sell your existing inventory at a higher price. Perhaps this is not what they are doing, but if it is then that is dishonest. It is not "good business" to act dishonestly in order to increase your short-term profits at long-term cost.
    11-19-16 09:00 PM
    It seems like dishonest business practice to pretend that you are updating your operating system so that you can sell your existing inventory at a higher price. Perhaps this is not what they are doing, but if it is then that is dishonest. It is not "good business" to act dishonestly in order to increase your short-term profits at long-term cost.
    “The nature of the evidence is irrelevant; it's the seriousness of the charge that matters.”

I'm not saying speculation is bad, but when you can research it before forming an opinion...
    11-19-16 09:09 PM
    I think the issue is how could BlackBerry possibly expect other companies to license and release new BB10 devices (as BlackBerry executives have said they are looking for)
    Nobody expects anybody to release new BB10 devices. BlackBerry hopes that manufacturers will license the name, the patents, the android apps. BB10 is dead.
    11-19-16 09:55 PM
    I'' join the RANT as far as BLEND goes. I still use my Z30 with Blend to feed my laptop and computer. But I'm on vacation So did not bring the Z30 along. While sitting at my laptop and my phone chimes/beeps/alerts, I sorely miss glacncing at BLEND and seeing what's happening without having to reach in my pocket, wake and unlock the Priv.

Sad that BB, a SOFTWARE company now can't create, that is PROGRAM SOFTWARE, to create a new Blend
    IndianTiwari and zephyr613 like this.
    11-20-16 08:17 AM
    Dear OP . Welcome to CB . I have two Passport devices which are running flawless . If the sales numbers were good BB10 OS would not have been abandoned . Liquidating the stocks is the right option instead of suffering looses .
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    11-20-16 08:19 AM
    How can a company who doesn't really support its own operating system then EOL s its arguable most important software -Blackberry Blend-still be selling 3 bb10 phones on its website? Please BlackBerry can you take your head out of your collective arses and either support bb10 with regular updates and advertising or can the whole bb10 thing stop selling bb10 phones and concentrate on Android

Posted via CB10
    Because some of us are actually still using BB10 phones and they're working fine for us at the current level of OS? Not everybody uses Blend?

If I didn't have spare new-in-box BB10 phones in my file cabinet in case something horrible happens to the ones my wife and I are using, I'd wish to buy replacement BB10 phones. Not interested in Android at all.

Not really sensing the need for making a big deal out of it...

Richard
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    11-20-16 09:10 AM
    Well, I'm using a 5 year old 9900 well past its EOL... Lol. If bb re-released 9900, again, I'm pre-authorized to purchase 100 of them for my company. I could easily get authorization for multiple times that with a couple txts.
    There are folks who feel similarly about BB10... Including other parts of my company.

Dear old Gramps was fond of pointing out to "know-it-all-know-nothings" who automatically assume to know how to run everyone else's life better than their own: "Your ignorance of my needs says more about your ignorance than my needs...". Lol.

I wouldn't presume to understand the first thing about Canadian Tax structure but please explain... What's there to "write off" if you're already years in the red? Seems rational to me to sell off inventory until warehouse space is needed for other products?? Or, until they have a buyer for the warehouse??

Like BBOS before it, BB10 is no longer consumer user oriented, imo. Power users purchasing these devices likely understand that. Imo.
    stlabrat, BigBadWulf, FF22 and 1 others like this.
    11-20-16 10:28 AM
    why would they buy something new that is already obsolete
    BB10 is still miles ahead of the others. I do not really know why it would need "support" and "development" for the average happy user like me who is not into apps big time. How much better could it get?

BB, Still the One
    acovey likes this.
    11-20-16 10:30 AM
    Even if Chen came out and stated on live television that BB10 is dead as a doornail, people (mostly here) would still buy devices.
    11-20-16 10:53 AM
    Haha... Just ordered another "dead as a doornail" Classic... Lol.

"It's a Blackberry thing... Don't try to understand..."
    TCB on Z10, BigBadWulf and FF22 like this.
    11-20-16 12:19 PM
    Even if Chen came out and stated on live television that BB10 is dead as a doornail, people (mostly here) would still buy devices.
    For many here BlackBerry 10 and their devices still work perfectly fine for their needs. As it would for some new users. The pace of newly released devices, in my opinion, is so wasteful. Shoot my almost 4 year old Z10 still operates perfectly fine in regards to email, messaging, radio signal strength, calls, call quality and most applications in use and or I need. The carriers and smartphone makers, including BlackBerry have done a masterful job of making mainstream consumers believe they need a new device more frequently than truly necessary.

The White Knight-BlackBerry Passport
    TCB on Z10, FF22 and Mrs Williams1 like this.
    11-20-16 01:30 PM
    For many here BlackBerry 10 and their devices still work perfectly fine for their needs. As it would for some new users. The pace of newly released devices, in my opinion, is so wasteful. Shoot my almost 4 year old Z10 still operates perfectly fine in regards to email, messaging, radio signal strength, calls, call quality and most applications in use and or I need. The carriers and smartphone makers, including BlackBerry have done a masterful job of making mainstream consumers believe they need a new device more frequently than truly necessary.

The White Knight-BlackBerry Passport
    Probably a true statement. Same with cars, clothes, etc. It's what marketing is about and they're damned good at it.
    acovey likes this.
    11-20-16 01:45 PM
    Yes true.
    11-20-16 02:01 PM
    What ever I guess I wish we could still get the pre Chen phones.

#luvmybb10os
    11-20-16 02:54 PM

Posted via CB10
    Because BB10 is not EOL? (I'm not saying it's actively supported in any confident way, but it hasn't technically been announced as EOL status.)

Blend is EOL, but what does that have to do with selling BB10 phones?
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    11-20-16 03:24 PM
    Because BB10 is not EOL? (I'm not saying it's actively supported in any confident way, but it hasn't technically been announced as EOL status.)

Blend is EOL, but what does that have to do with selling BB10 phones?

Because he want the software blend to be updated as bb supposed to be a software company now
    FF22 likes this.
    11-20-16 03:38 PM
    I think the issue is how could BlackBerry possibly expect other companies to license and release new BB10 devices (as BlackBerry executives have said they are looking for) if the OS is not being developed upon. Who in their right mind would choose to license something that is continually falling behind the competition, or all the updating responsibilities fall upon the licensee? So there is no future of BB10 inside or outside of BlackBerry given their lack of real support. I expect BlackBerry will be forced to write off the majority BB10 devices in their inventory due to their lack of real support and no future roadmap commitment (like a commitment from BlackBerry is worth much anyways given their history of abandonment).

Posted via CB10
    I have not heard BlackBerry said they were actively trying to license BB10. The comments I have heard is that one or two companies asked if BlackBerry was interested and they said yes they were open to licensing BB10. Before any company does a deal there is tons of disclosure work. Questions on the roadmap, update plans, and with BB10 there are two huge elephants in the room. One is hardware support. BB10 only has drivers for older chip sets. The second problem is development. Most of the BB10 team was let go quite a while ago. BlackBerry does not have the resources to actively develop BB10.
    11-20-16 03:42 PM
157 123 ...