I've been reading a lot more about this in the news, lately everything from hospitals and large corporations to small businesses having their data locked and held for ransom.

I'm not an expert on this but it seems to be mainly hit on the computer systems but could a person's phone provide the Trojan horse to the pc system?

If so BlackBerry could be well placed to keep beating the security drum as these attacks don't seem to be going away.

What do you think.

Posted via CB10
    08-09-16 04:13 PM
    Could a smart phone pass a trojan to a computer? Yes.
    And infected SD card or section of memory on the device could act like a USB thumb drive when connected to a vulnerable computer. This of course requires the memory on the smart phone to have been infected previously by the trojan, most likely through connecting it to a already infected computer as a USB drive.

Could a downloaded app, file, email, message on a smart phone cause an infection on the smart phone that could them be passed to a computer? Most likely yes.
    I haven't heard of a report of this type of attack/infection specifically, but I would venture to say that due to there are already cross platform trojans, it should be something that is possible. This would require a code be written that has the ability to bypass safeguards on a smart phone, infect it, and then allow for it to jump to another connected device.

Have there been trojans or ransom-ware written for smart phones? Yup
    Even iOS devices has been infected with malware and ransom-ware has appeared for Android devices. Although backups and power cycling generally prevent damage.
    last_attempt likes this.
    08-09-16 04:41 PM
    Thanks for your input, seeing that the possibility exists and with a lot more people now banking and purchasing goods with their phones and people taking family photos with only their phone the demand for more secure phones can only go up.
    Hopefully BlackBerry can keep the lead on security but as the demand grows the other manufacturers won't stand still.

Posted via CB10
    08-09-16 07:07 PM
    In 2013, BlackBerry shares dropped 4.5 % when Home Depot switched to iPhones for their execs. In 2014, they had their massive credit card data breach in USA and Canada. Although the usual BlackBerry bashers will say it had nothing to do with customers buying things on their phones, it gave the appearance that HD did not care much about security as they had dropped BlackBerry which has the perception, real or not, of being the most secure.

BB, Still the One
    08-09-16 08:54 PM
    I read the other day that 30% ( can't remember exactly number) of businesses have been attacked and quite a few have paid up, 75% of Canadian firms that were " held hostage " ended up paying.

I'm not saying BlackBerry alone can stop it but as a company shareholder or owner I'm definitely want a plan in place for all company and employees electronic gear

Posted via CB10
    08-09-16 09:15 PM
    I read the other day that 30% ( can't remember exactly number) of businesses have been attacked and quite a few have paid up, 75% of Canadian firms that were " held hostage " ended up paying.

I'm not saying BlackBerry alone can stop it but as a company shareholder or owner I'm definitely want a plan in place for all company and employees electronic gear

Posted via CB10
    That only tells you one thing: ... their backup strategy was inefficient, insufficient, non-working or otherwise useless... :-(

  There's a Crack in the Berry right now...  
    08-10-16 08:07 AM
    I think the weak point is human imbecility, and no BlackBerry device can protect us against that.
    08-10-16 08:08 AM
    That only tells you one thing: ... their backup strategy was inefficient, insufficient, non-working or otherwise useless... :-(

Can't it also be on the backup copy as well? Thought I heard that.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-16 08:49 AM
    Ransomware attacks seem to be growing-img_20160811_151318.png

08-11-16 12:13 AM